tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Hi Steve, how about a Carnage II Jigging rod in a lighter version?For 80-140 gram "butterfly style" jigs.

Nice idea.
Not hearing too much else about rods, but would love to see some more suggestions in that category too.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Nice idea.
Not hearing too much else about rods, but would love to see some more suggestions in that category too.
I think a series of $100-$150 rods would work for you guys. Like a 15-25, 20-30, 20-40, 20-50, 30-60 class of rods in the 7ft to 9ft range would be beneficial. There is already a following for your reels and a ton of people look for an affordable set of rods to pair with their reels. Lay some inserted guides on them, and have your rods be reminiscent of the softer GFGR series of rods and I'd think you would have customers comming for y'all.

Upvote 0

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Nice idea.

There is a big hole in the industry for good quality 8 to 11 ft travel rods. Hopefully that aren't stupid expensive.

Ps. Make sure your Tranx killers (anti-tranx weapons :D)
come in lefties also.

Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Penn rods bring me back to big 5 sales of penn rods for 39$ And they weren’t quality. So they have some baggage to overcome. Diawa makes the proteus and they are along the lines of Phenix rods etc as far as quality. Penn can up their game.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
Second request...add a line of bling custom parts. Handles, spool tension knobs, lever drag levers, spools, clickers...let us customize our gear to better fit us.

Agreed especially on custom handle like the power ones so many guys shellout some decent $ on custom handles so why not keep the $ in house.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
There is a big hole in the industry for good quality 8 to 11 ft travel rods. Hopefully that aren't stupid expensive.

Ps. Make sure your Tranx killers (anti-tranx weapons :D)
come in lefties also.
Even a 6-8ft range for West Coast rods under $300 would be a sizable market I bet.

Upvote 0

stella marina

• Nov 21, 2011
    santa cruz
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    a low profile baitcaster, reasonably priced, there's a strong market for tough reels that are smaller than traditional conventional reels

Reactions: Anders1
    Upvote 0

lasparky11

• Mar 7, 2008
    Ontario, CA USA
    Name
    Gene
    Boat
    X-wife she's so fat she floats
    How about some 2/0 low gears for the Fathoms 2 speeds (25N & 30).

Upvote 0

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
    NJ
    Name
    Sergio
    Boat
    Xxxxxxxx
    I'm not sure why you made mention of only "west coast" ideas. I'm not trying to start shit but can we not have an opinion on this coast?! Hell, I see a lot of Penn products anytime I step on a boat. Plus, I've already seen the mention of a 15x in a star drag. Something I commented about when the lever drag first came out. You need ideas, ask all. Your consumers are world wide ya know!

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    I'm not sure why you made mention of only "west coast" ideas. I'm not trying to start shit but can we not have an opinion on this coast?! Hell, I see a lot of Penn products anytime I step on a boat. Plus, I've already seen the mention of a 15x in a star drag. Something I commented about when the lever drag first came out. You need ideas, ask all. Your consumers are world wide ya know!

No offense meant!
    There are other people compiling ideas for many other areas.
    As they are more familiar with those other areas than I am; I yield to their knowledge and experience.
    My input is generally west-coast specific, as that is my background, and carries the most weight for me.
    Certainly "general improvements" that help everyone, like higher-grade metals for gears, etc. etc, are not coast-specific. I won't pass those suggestions up.
    Techniques like "Slow Pitch Jigging" and "Long Fall Jigging" are gaining traction on different coasts at different rates.
    The majority [though not all] here at BDO are indeed west coasters, so I am trying to find out how enthused they are for that kind of specialty gear [for example].
    Steve

Upvote 0

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
    NJ
    Name
    Sergio
    Boat
    Xxxxxxxx
    No offense meant!
    There are other people compiling ideas for many other areas.
    As they are more familiar with those other areas than I am; I yield to their knowledge and experience.
    My input is generally west-coast specific, as that is my background, and carries the most weight for me.
    Certainly "general improvements" that help everyone, like higher-grade metals for gears, etc. etc, are not coast-specific. I won't pass those suggestions up.
    Techniques like "Slow Pitch Jigging" and "Long Fall Jigging" are gaining traction on different coasts at different rates.
    The majority [though not all] here at BDO are indeed west coasters, so I am trying to find out how enthused they are for that kind of specialty gear [for example].
    Steve
    I understand now Steve. Thank you for the clarification! Much appreciated! Anyone over here to send input to?

Upvote 0

jmch75

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe Curly
    Boat
    None
    Steve,

Just picked up my 1st Fathom reel lever drag (25NLD2). It's pretty nice. Potential improvement in the next generation/iteration of the Fathoms.

The biggest wish I have is throwing the drag lever into strike should be super quick with a "positive hard stop". As it is today, there are about 4-5 "micro" settings through the range of the printing "S" "T" "R" "I" "K" E". It needs a hard "stop" so I know it's at some known drag setting. To get around this, I've seen a thread where people were commenting of setting their strike at the "Full" setting since it has a hard button stop. That works too, but the tradeoff is a very short range and likely non-linear drag increase when you want to bump it up a little, which goes to sunset, and that would likely be too much.

A few ways to address this, if it's considered a priority by Penn.
    Ideal solution (IMO). Get rid of printing "FULL" and in that position, make it "STRIKE" and move the hard stop to "STRIKE". That would give you about half the arc travel to go past "STRIKE" by depressing the button, which would take you to "SUNSET". Added benefit, you might get a much more linear ramp up in drag to "MAX" at "Sunset", while hopefully maintaining a linear ramp up in drag from freespool to STRIKE.

The "1", "2", "3" is cool, but an improvement is detents or more "clickable" feedback when you go through each of these levels.

And of course, don't go backwards or cut costs on the improvements. SS main and pinion gears are great! Angular bearings, great! Also love the clicky feedback when I initially set the drag. That's great!

Ping Cal, perhaps he has some more ideas/improvement suggestions.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    All,
    The ICAST show will be here in just a few months [OK, in July!].
    What new reels and rods [or changes/mods in current models] in the PENN lineup would you like to see?
    I need some ammo for the product development meetings we will have there.
    I am primarily asking about "west coast" ideas, though ideas and changes that make overall improvements are also great.
    Here’s my take Steve that I shared last month when a fella BD’rs ask for what New for coming FHS & ICAST;

*Easy Access Features for Penn FATHOM Lever Drag Reels (like the one on Fathom II Star Drag)

* Penn FATHOM 15XNLD2 size....for SPJ & LFJ needs.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
    Apr 9, 2019
    La Jolla
    Name
    Pinhead
    Boat
    Sporties
    Strike through full is typically used for pretty much the range of drag you’re going to be fishing while the fish is actually on. As an example sometimes backing off your drags when there is a ton of line off the reel as you’re fishing a reel that suddenly has more torque.

Upvote 0

jig7

Mar 19, 2012
    reno,nv, usa
    Name
    jeff
    Boat
    nunya
    I would like to see fathom or squall price point reels that are star drag that cast/freespool well that are 60" retrieve like the fathom 40nldhs.

Upvote 0
    Apr 9, 2019
    La Jolla
    Name
    Pinhead
    Boat
    Sporties
    @tunanorth Im not a huge fan of slow pitch jogging but here is a couple things that I think would be neat to see in Penn’s line up. I think an affordable reel similar to the ocea jigger has a place with penn. keep it similar to a fathom in terms of frame and drags to keep the price point lower; and features an auto engage clutch. Just messing around with that particular reel I understand why a reel like that has a place in SoCal. First off, it has a decent free spool and it’s pretty comfortable in the hand for a fly line set up. Second, it’s auto engage is kinda nifty for when you need to set the hook on a fish aside from using a circle hook. There is also the whole point where it makes sense if you are constantly working a jig... but I see a place with flylining. Modifying a 25N would probably work great or, taking the 15XN size as line would lay on it fairly evenly in a situation where you don’t have the time too, my .02. You’re not exactly casting a slow pitch reel so I Can understand why there isnt a line of wider reels similar to a 30 in size or 500 as you’re not casting those reels, but it makes sense. They don’t need a killer free spool.

I’ve only looked at slow pitch rods for maneuvering sculpin bombs and swimbaits in structure, not actively working a jig so I got nothin there.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0