tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I often get questions regarding what the letters mean in the various PENN reel models. Here is a guide to "most" of them.
LH= left hand
LW= levelwind
L= aluminum spool
W= wide
N= narrow
XN= extra narrow
LD= lever drag
X= extreme [higher drag curve]
LC= line-counter
S= 2-speed [shift] in some cases this can also denote "silver" color, and some 2-speeds are just designated "2".
SD= star drag
HS= high speed [some older models just use "H"]
LE= limited edition [usually color]
LL= live-liner feature [spinning reels]
LC= long cast spool [spinning reels]
BLS= no bail [spinning reels]
SP= special purpose spool for wire line
"V", "VI" etc. are actually "Roman Numerals", ["5", "6", etc], and indicate the Generation of that series
DX= dealer exclusive

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
I often get questions regarding what the letters mean in the various PENN reel models. Here is a guide to "most" of them.
LH= left hand
LW= levelwind
L= aluminum spool
W= wide
N= narrow
XN= extra narrow
LD= lever drag
X= extreme [higher drag curve]
LC= line-counter
S= 2-speed [shift] in some cases this can also denote "silver" color, and some 2-speeds are just designated "2".
SD= star drag
HS= high speed [some older models just use "H"]
LE= limited edition [usually color]
LL= live-liner feature [spinning reels]
LC= long cast spool [spinning reels]
BLS= no bail [spinning reels]
SP= special purpose spool for wire line
"V", "VI" etc. are actually "Roman Numerals", ["5", "6", etc], and indicate the Generation of that series
DX= dealer exclusive
This should go in the Sticky Threads? Much easier to reference than a "Search"

Reactions: JK47
Upvote 0

JK47

May 19, 2019
HB
Name
Alek
Boat
SS Minnow
Since the Torque/Fathom numbers correlate to 300 yards of mono, what about the VISX's? 12, 16, 20, etc?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Since the Torque/Fathom numbers correlate to 300 yards of mono, what about the VISX's? 12, 16, 20, etc?

Those are carryover "Legacy" numbers that indicate the old "IGFA Tournament Class" size.
Back in the day, you used 12-pound line on a 12, used 50-pound line on a 50, and so on.
Obviously that has changed due to dramatic improvement to the drag systems and other internal components, along with thinner superbraid lines, but the sizes remain the same.

Reactions: Chicago Pete
Upvote 0

JK47

May 19, 2019
HB
Name
Alek
Boat
SS Minnow
Those are carryover "Legacy" numbers that indicate the old "IGFA Tournament Class" size.
Back in the day, you used 12-pound line on a 12, used 50-pound line on a 50, and so on.
Obviously that has changed due to dramatic improvement to the drag systems and other internal components, along with thinner superbraid lines, but the sizes remain the same.
How much line fit on the reel in each class?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
How much line fit on the reel in each class?

It predates the earliest PENN Internationals by quite a bit [Internationals first appeared in 1967].
Not sure which reel maker first carried those designations.
More or less, the reels of a given category held 500-800 yards of "that" pound test.
Needless to say, line continued to steadily improve over the years, but the general dimensions of the reels stuck.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y and JK47
Upvote 0