Penn International 16 vis upgrading drags

Tom mac

Nov 26, 2019
Santa Clarita
Name
Tom maclean
Boat
None
I have a international 16 vis. I was curious if anyone knows it the drags can be upgraded to be more like the visx? And if so any recommendations on who is a good choice to have do it? I have heard good things about Alan tani but am having a hard time finding how to contact him. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for any information!

sierraazuel

Saving World From Skynet
Jul 3, 2009
3rd Rock from The Sun
Name
Drew P. Balls
Boat
Thunder Bolt Grease Slapper
I have a international 16 vis. I was curious if anyone knows it the drags can be upgraded to be more like the visx? And if so any recommendations on who is a good choice to have do it? I have heard good things about Alan tani but am having a hard time finding how to contact him. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for any information!

Here you go, alantani.com or cals2speed.com

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
It's not just the drag washers that need to be upgraded; it's actually quite a bit, but Im sure it could be done.

Reactions: sierraazuel

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
go to mystic parts .com. (pennparts.com)
pull up the parts diagrams on both reels, and interchange the cone/bevil washers(drag washers ) from the visx to your vis reel.
diagrams will give you the part numbers .
sometimes you can change the orientation of the washers as well to increase the drag without buying parts
also you may need to adjust the shim washers for side play (i forgot this earlier)

Last edited:

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
If it can be done, Cal Sheets can do it. He's been modifying/upgrading Penn reels and others from the start.
https://www.cals2speed.com/