Penn Fathom Low Profile 400 6.2 ratio is the same as the Abu Revo Toro Beast T3 60 6.2

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
They look the same and when you compare the ratings and capacity, you realize it is the same.

So what's the difference. Well the ABU RTB T3 has two speeds. A low at 4.9 and a high at 6.2.

The 6.2 is the Fathom 400's regular speed and the specs for the high speed ABU RTB T3 60 and the Fathom 400 are identical when you compare the same line weights on the specs. The Fathom 400 does have 1 extra bearing though, 7 vs 6. This leads to a weight difference of 0.1 oz.

Link to Abu RTB T3: Revo Toro® Beast™Low Profile

Link to Penn Fathom 400 LP: Fathom® Low Profile Reel

Compare the 6.2 gear ratio ABU RTB T3 60 to the Penn Fathom LP 400 6.2 gear ratio:

Compare the braid capacities at 30# and 50# - Identical
Compare the mono capacities at 0.38mm - Identical
Compare the mono capacities at 17# - Identical
Compare the Max Drag: Identical
Compare the recovery rate at 6.2 gear ratio: Identical
Compare the weight: 13.8 vs 13.9 (likely 0.1 to be the additional bearing in the Fathom)

Both are made in Korea.

I wonder what Penn did to make the Fathom more saltwater proof vs the Abu which was designed for Muskie Fisherman.

RTB1.JPG
RTB2.JPG
RTB3.JPG
FT4001.JPG
FT4002.JPG

Reactions: Motofish and Cubeye
May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
You know I’ve brought this up a couple times. The reel is a reworked RTB T3. The extra bearing is located on the level wind function to add less wear and tear and to make the reel a bit smoother.

The big difference with the reels however, is the synchronized level wind and you are running HT100 drags over the standard Abu drag materiel which sucks. It’s a big improvement. Also I wouldn’t say the reel is designed for big fish in mind, the fact is the reel doesn’t engage in a synchronized drag system unless the line and the level wind match match up perfectly every cast. Including your wind in. In fact you can have scenarios where the two are actually constantly going in the opposite direction of you think about it. The reel was definitely made in mind with inshore fishing in mind, not pelagics. Although I’m sure the HT100s are a huge boost by itself, far better drag material then the TranX 400 and the Lexa 400.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
A number of parts in the PENN LP's do also have more saltwater-resistant coatings, with the Fathom having a step up even from the Squall on the levelwind mechanism's coatings specifically.
Yes, the HT100 drag material is definitely a step up; I keep bugging the engineers to figure out how to use the "Dura-Drag" material in star drags, but so far its only workable in lever drags and high-end spinning reels.
There is a huge variation on the handle style that various anglers prefer, and there are a lot of different "Aftermarket" handles made for the Abu that will fit on the PENN LP's.

Upvote 0

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
Penn Fathom 400 LP Schematic.jpg

Abu Garcia RTB T3 61 Low Gear Schematic.jpg

RTB T3 and Penn Fathom 400 use the same Part numbers including the HT-100 drags.

Basically, only the main gear and the pinion are different here. They should be because the RTB is the 4.9 ratio and the Penn is the 6.2 ratio.

The handles are different but internally it's the same.

Scion TC or Subara BRZ...same thing.

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0
May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
View attachment 1258659

View attachment 1258660

RTB T3 and Penn Fathom 400 use the same Part numbers including the HT-100 drags.

Basically, only the main gear and the pinion are different here. They should be because the RTB is the 4.9 ratio and the Penn is the 6.2 ratio.

The handles are different but internally it's the same.

Scion TC or Subara BRZ...same thing.
Dude, check out where the bearings are placed on these. Also check out the drags... the Abu uses C6s, and the Fathom uses HT100s. I recall someone on another forum having been through the two of them, and demonstrating the HT100s over the C6 drags. That’s huge.

The witch-hunt continues.

Upvote 0

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
I will say that the Abut does not use the Penn Blue grease but the bearings in the spool exactly the same. Both have the same "A" marking on the side.

The part numbers are the biggest give-away to me. And given the same price point, it seems more like brand arbitrage to me since Abu's branding isn't strong in saltwater.

Upvote 0

NextMikeSays

Oct 23, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
No boat
part #8 is a bushing in the RTB but a bearing in the Fathom. That’s where the extra bearing comes from. Not sure how significant that upgrade is.

Upvote 0

Carter W.

Aug 6, 2019
Newport Beach
Name
Carter W.
Boat
2009 Hobie Outback
They look the same and when you compare the ratings and capacity, you realize it is the same.

So what's the difference. Well the ABU RTB T3 has two speeds. A low at 4.9 and a high at 6.2.

The 6.2 is the Fathom 400's regular speed and the specs for the high speed ABU RTB T3 60 and the Fathom 400 are identical when you compare the same line weights on the specs. The Fathom 400 does have 1 extra bearing though, 7 vs 6. This leads to a weight difference of 0.1 oz.

Link to Abu RTB T3: Revo Toro® Beast™Low Profile

Link to Penn Fathom 400 LP: Fathom® Low Profile Reel

Compare the 6.2 gear ratio ABU RTB T3 60 to the Penn Fathom LP 400 6.2 gear ratio:

Compare the braid capacities at 30# and 50# - Identical
Compare the mono capacities at 0.38mm - Identical
Compare the mono capacities at 17# - Identical
Compare the Max Drag: Identical
Compare the recovery rate at 6.2 gear ratio: Identical
Compare the weight: 13.8 vs 13.9 (likely 0.1 to be the additional bearing in the Fathom)

Both are made in Korea.

I wonder what Penn did to make the Fathom more saltwater proof vs the Abu which was designed for Muskie Fisherman.

View attachment 1251376View attachment 1251377View attachment 1251378View attachment 1251379View attachment 1251380
Penn is an Abu Garcia company so likely that’s why they’re so similar. However the bearings have a better resistance to salt as well as being a stronger material for other components like the drag which I’ve heard the RTB have failed for some people. So I think essentially your really just buying a saltwater grade Abu. Still looks like a killer reel though.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Penn is an Abu Garcia company so likely that’s why they’re so similar. However the bearings have a better resistance to salt as well as being a stronger material for other components like the drag which I’ve heard the RTB have failed for some people. So I think essentially your really just buying a saltwater grade Abu. Still looks like a killer reel though.

To clarify, PENN is a "Pure Fishing" company, along with reel mfrs. Fin-Nor, Van Staal, Abu-Garcia, Pflueger, Shakespeare, electric reel maker Hooker, and fly reel maker Hardy, plus several other tackle companies that don't make reels.

Upvote 0

jb22japancom

May 8, 2021
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Name
Justin Bradburn
Boat
Perception Pescador Pilot 12
They’re literally the same exact reel, just rebranded. Penn and Abu are both pure fishing.

Abu Revo Toro beast is a saltwater reel and a musky reel.

Dudes started using musky tackle in the ocean, so they’re all now made to hold up to saltwater.

Big baitcasters are very comfortable and light, and can really take sone surprisingly heavy duty saltwater action, like bottom fishing.

I use my abu rtb 60 and daiwa Tatula 300 for grouper and snapper fishing in the Gulf of Mexico a lot.

Last edited: