Penn Fathom 40NLD - drags stuttering issue?

westcoasttuna

May 13, 2011
las vegas,nv us
Name
Charles
Boat
charter boats
I recently bought a Penn fathom 40NLD 2 speed, the drags feel like they stutter a bit when you pull line or mess with the reel in gear.. Does anyone else feel this on their Fathom lever drags?

Compared to my other reels - Okuma, accurate, Shimano - drags feel silky smooth with those.

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    no

Upvote 0

jig77

Almost A Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    huntington beach
    Name
    michael
    Boat
    Mako 20'
    Hmmm...Maybe there’s a twisted up paper staple inside of your reel. That’s what the tackle shop discovered in my brand new out of the box Penn Fathom 15nld2 after I brought it to him complaining about the drag being sticky.
    image.jpg

Reactions: westcoasttuna
    Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Looks like that one was assembled on Friday...

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Recently bought? IMO, sending in for warranty repair is the best course of action.

If for whatever reason you gotta have it done ASAP, try wiping off the grease from both the metal drag plate and the carbon drag washer with a lint-free cloth. Get is as clean and dry as you can. Then, re-grease the carbon washer with a very light coat of Cal's or similar. Should work great after this.

Now, if this doesn't work, and if you end up needing some replacement parts... the metal drag plate is relatively cheap, but the drag washer assembly is another story. Hence, send it in under warranty or you could end up wishing you had bought something else.

Upvote 0

westcoasttuna

May 13, 2011
    las vegas,nv us
    Name
    Charles
    Boat
    charter boats
    Recently bought? IMO, sending in for warranty repair is the best course of action.

If for whatever reason you gotta have it done ASAP, try wiping off the grease from both the metal drag plate and the carbon drag washer with a lint-free cloth. Get is as clean and dry as you can. Then, re-grease the carbon washer with a very light coat of Cal's or similar. Should work great after this.

Now, if this doesn't work, and if you end up needing some replacement parts... the metal drag plate is relatively cheap, but the drag washer assembly is another story. Hence, send it in under warranty or you could end up wishing you had bought something else.
    Yes, recently bought it from an Ebay seller. I wonder if they just sold me a defective one 😬.. Either way I dont mind paying for it to be looked at and sorted out. I was just very curious if other people were feeling a similar drag situation. And if it was a common characteristic of these reels. It doesnt feel like it would greatly affect fighting a fish but still feels like there's an issue when you compare it to another lever drag reel.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    It doesnt feel like it would greatly affect fighting a fish but still feels like there's an issue when you compare it to another lever drag reel.
    🤔

BTW, are you feeling the stuttering when:

a) actually pulling line off the reel or
    b) when cranking the handle against a stationary spool

If it's (a), then you might need service.
    If it's (b), your reel might be totally fine.

The "crank against the drag" test is a fallacy and isn't a good indicator of drag smoothness. Try testing the drag against a fish/cat/dog/child/car/boat/whatever pulling line off the reel under adequate drag tension.

Upvote 0

westcoasttuna

May 13, 2011
    las vegas,nv us
    Name
    Charles
    Boat
    charter boats
    🤔

BTW, are you feeling the stuttering when:

a) actually pulling line off the reel or
    b) when cranking the handle against a stationary spool

If it's (a), then you might need service.
    If it's (b), your reel might be totally fine.

The "crank against the drag" test is a fallacy and isn't a good indicator of drag smoothness. Try testing the drag against a fish/cat/dog/child/car/boat/whatever pulling line off the reel under adequate drag tension.
    I originally felt it when cranking the handle against a stationary spool - so my nephew helped me set the drags and test it. He was walking into the road pulling line tied to a large weight and you could see a subtle rod tip fluctuation when it was going out.. It never felt like it was going to seize up, but still, ive never seen anything like it before. I'm going to try and call one of the reel service centers and see if they have seen it before, and likely send it to them since I live in Vegas.

Got a 3 day on shogun next month 18-21st.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    I originally felt it when cranking the handle against a stationary spool - so my nephew helped me set the drags and test it. He was walking into the road pulling line tied to a large weight and you could see a subtle rod tip fluctuation when it was going out.. It never felt like it was going to seize up, but still, ive never seen anything like it before. I'm going to try and call one of the reel service centers and see if they have seen it before, and likely send it to them since I live in Vegas.

so was it jerky when he was pulling line?

Upvote 0

westcoasttuna

May 13, 2011
    las vegas,nv us
    Name
    Charles
    Boat
    charter boats
    so was it jerky when he was pulling line?
    It was slightly jerky.. I would say not enough to make a hook come loose from a fish but enough to notice the reel doing something strange. My concern is if this is a defect of some sort and if fighting a fish with 15-20 lbs of drag for several minutes, would it eventually lead to some type of failure lol.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    It was slightly jerky.. I would say not enough to make a hook come loose from a fish but enough to notice the reel doing something strange. My concern is if this is a defect of some sort and if fighting a fish with 15-20 lbs of drag for several minutes, would it eventually lead to some type of failure lol.
    if I was in your position I would take apart the spool assembly and build it back based on the schematic. Most people are not comfortable with taking their reels apart but if you are I would consider it, much quicker than service.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16

I missed this thread since it was not on a forum I normally check.
    The "cranking against stationary spool" question is indeed the very first thing I ask when this issue is raised.
    As noted, this motion is not indicative of how the drag functions.
    A better test is definitely putting line on the reel and having someone pull the line out against the drag, though when doing this test, make sure the reel is full [or mostly full].
    If its still an issue after that, the most common cause [especially from secondary E-bay sellers who may sell a reel that has had a lot of handling] is with reels where the "Pre-Set" was dialed up or down while the reel was not in freespool. In that case, some damage may have resulted, and a trip to a service center may be necessary.
    As for Jig77's loose part, ouch!

Upvote 0

westcoasttuna

May 13, 2011
    las vegas,nv us
    Name
    Charles
    Boat
    charter boats
    I missed this thread since it was not on a forum I normally check.
    The "cranking against stationary spool" question is indeed the very first thing I ask when this issue is raised.
    As noted, this motion is not indicative of how the drag functions.
    A better test is definitely putting line on the reel and having someone pull the line out against the drag, though when doing this test, make sure the reel is full [or mostly full].
    If its still an issue after that, the most common cause [especially from secondary E-bay sellers who may sell a reel that has had a lot of handling] is with reels where the "Pre-Set" was dialed up or down while the reel was not in freespool. In that case, some damage may have resulted, and a trip to a service center may be necessary.
    As for Jig77's loose part, ouch!
    Yes I see .. definitely a possibility. Do you know what parts tend to get damaged from "Pre-Set" being dialed up or down while the reel was not in freespool?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Yes I see .. definitely a possibility. Do you know what parts tend to get damaged from "Pre-Set" being dialed up or down while the reel was not in freespool?

It could be anything in the assembly, since none of it is designed to handle that particular stress. [almost all lever drags share this characteristic].
    However, it is possible that there may not be an actual issue.
    The "cranking against stationary spool" scares a lot of people, though it is not related to the drag function at all.
    When you did the "pull test", was the reel full, and the person pulling at a decent pace [not just a slow walk]?
    The Shogun has at least 15 of that specific model that they use as loaners/rentals, so it would be an easy comparison to make right on the boat when you get there.
    Before going for a "full service", check every possibility.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

westcoasttuna

May 13, 2011
    las vegas,nv us
    Name
    Charles
    Boat
    charter boats
    It could be anything in the assembly, since none of it is designed to handle that particular stress. [almost all lever drags share this characteristic].
    However, it is possible that there may not be an actual issue.
    The "cranking against stationary spool" scares a lot of people, though it is not related to the drag function at all.
    When you did the "pull test", was the reel full, and the person pulling at a decent pace [not just a slow walk]?
    The Shogun has at least 15 of that specific model that they use as loaners/rentals, so it would be an easy comparison to make right on the boat when you get there.
    Before going for a "full service", check every possibility.
    We didnt have enough 60lb test to fill it.. I think it's about 3/4 full of some spare mono left from a old spooling. Yes, he eventually ran with the line attached to the weight in his hand.
    Thanks for the tips/advice everyone.. I'm sure it can be fixed eventually (if it's actually defective). Thanks!

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    We didnt have enough 60lb test to fill it.. I think it's about 3/4 full of some spare mono left from a old spooling. Yes, he eventually ran with the line attached to the weight in his hand.
    Thanks for the tips/advice everyone.. I'm sure it can be fixed eventually (if it's actually defective). Thanks!
    can you make a video showing what you're talking about?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16

Certainly anything is possible, but be sure to check with a full spool.

Upvote 0