R6721

Central Coast Fishing
  • Nov 15, 2018
    Visalia, California
    Name
    Arnel
    Boat
    Battle Barge
    I am interested in trying Slow Pitch Jigging and was wondering if the Penn Fathom 400 LPHS could be used. It would be on one of Penn’s SPJ rods. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    I am interested in trying Slow Pitch Jigging and was wondering if the Penn Fathom 400 LPHS could be used. It would be on one of Penn’s SPJ rods. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

It is certainly capable, with plenty of drag, good IPT, strong gears & frame, etc.
    However, the "auto-engage" freespool of any Low-Profile reel is not the most convenient system for SPJ.
    With a standard conventional reel, toggling back and forth in and out of gear is very quick and easy.
    With a lever drag conventional, its not quite as easy, but you can still do it with a slightly longer travel arc of the lever.
    With auto-engage, you have to reach over and crank the handle about 1/4 turn to get back into gear; not the end of the world, but you might get tired of the extra motion.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    What Penn reels/rod SPJ combo do you recommend for using 150-260 gram jigs in 300’ of water?

Based on your screen name, I am assuming that large pelagics, like tuna over 50 pounds, or yellowtail over 30 pounds are not often on your menu, but a nice white seabass or big lingcod probably would be.
    I would probably go for the Battalion 250gr. Slow Pitch rod, and match it with a Fathom FTH8XNSD star drag reel.
    Braid for SPJ should usually be the "ultra-thin" type to let the jigs sink and move properly, but also so that your reel is not totally empty when you are fishing deep.
    I have been using the Berkley X-9 braid, and on that rig I use the 20-pound labeled stuff [ABS is 37 pounds], but that makes some people nervous, so the 30-pound labeled [ABS 45 pounds] is still pretty thin.
    Usually a 20-foot monofilament wind-on covers for the abrasion on rocks issue, but expect that you may have to replace the wind-on midway through your fishing day.

Reactions: Anders1
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Thanks for the advice. I’m looking at this combo or the 350M with the 10XN.

The heavier rig you describe would be good if you regularly encounter good-size pelagics.
    However, the stiffer rod may not give you the action you want when using typical smaller jigs for inshore species.

Upvote 0

R6721

Central Coast Fishing
  • Nov 15, 2018
    Visalia, California
    Name
    Arnel
    Boat
    Battle Barge
    Have you used the lighter combo in deeper water (400’ plus)? I’m trying to get informed before I make a decision. Thanks

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Have you used the lighter combo in deeper water (400’ plus)? I’m trying to get informed before I make a decision. Thanks

Up to 400 feet yes, but not in the newly-allowed deeps.
    Part of the trick that can be hard to get past is using fairly light line so that your jigs sinks better, which can complicate things if you often fish for pelagics in addition to bottom species.
    In other regions, SPJ anglers go to 800-900 feet regularly using just 15 pound braid.
    Like with other types of gear, a single SPJ rig is not going to be able to do it all.
    The best way to decide will be to get something that is good for what you do most of the time, not necessarily something that covers the exceptional situations.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    What SPJ jigs do you use for rockfish and lingcod and what weights? Thanks again.

I mostly use Williamson Koika and Kensaki jigs [sold under the Storm brand name outside the US]. Sizes 150-280 usually.
    Color not usually important, but its fishing, so sometimes it is!
    In some areas that have a large population of small grade rockfish, you need to add a 6-inch grub to increase the profile and keep the smaller ones away.
    The 8-inch grubs are usually so fat that they interfere with the jigs sink rate.
    In California, the "twin hooks" arrangement counts as two, so to add the grub you either need to use an Owner centering pin spring, or remove one of the front hooks to remain legal.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    One more question. Why choose the 8XNSD over the 10XNLD when using the 250gram rod?

Primarily because its a star drag.
    Less line capacity of course, but the 8 still holds the same yardage of 20-pound X-9 braid as the 10 holds of 30-pound X-9 braid.
    The 8 is slightly heavier [1.5 ounces], but also has more max drag and a higher IPT rate.
    One other thing, the handle on the 8 has an "outer hole", that allows a lot more leverage if you change to it.
    If you want an extended handle on the 10, it necessitates purchasing an aftermarket item.

Reactions: Anders1
    Upvote 0

R6721

Central Coast Fishing
  • Nov 15, 2018
    Visalia, California
    Name
    Arnel
    Boat
    Battle Barge
    Thanks for all the advice just pulled the trigger on the 250g with the 8XNSD. What is your option on the Maxcautro Braid?

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Thanks for all the advice just pulled the trigger on the 250g with the 8XNSD. What is your option on the Maxcautro Braid?

I have never used it, but its also one of the "ultra-thin" brands, like X-9.
    Although for large pelagics I continue to use Pro-Spec braid, for SPJ, I have been using X-9 with excellent results.
    A very well-known angler I was speaking with recently has used both, and tells me they are similar.

Upvote 0