PENN Fathom 25N - Surface Jigging w/ 100yd 40# Topshot...Too much???

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
I really like Penn's new Fathom 25N, plan on using it for 30# surface jigging, backed by 50# Spectra, in local So-Cal waters. However, I have been told that for SD long range trips (4-7 days) it is recommended to use 40# for surface jigging. Do you think the 100 yards of 40# topshot, with spectra backing, would be too much for the reel in regards to capacity and reel capabilities? The reel is on the smaller side being a narrow, but has 25 pound max drag. I have also been looking at the Daiwa Saltist Black Gold 35, their narrow jig reel equivalent (less drag than the Penn Fathom though), but holds slightly more line than the FTH25N.

Do you think the Penn would suffice for 40# topshot surface jigging; or should I go with the Daiwa for more capacity? (Really like the Penn and Daiwas for their free spool and casting capabilities.) Should I just step up to the Penn Fathom 30; fully capable of 30-40# line and it's capacity, but lose the advantage of a narrow reel for surface jigging? Or is their another reel you guys would recommend for 30-40# surface Iron setups?

*Prefer a narrow reel for surface jigging.

Thanks for any input.

BluePabst

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 1, 2012
Somewhere between heaven and hell
Name
Phil
Boat
Bertram 30
Surface jigging? If you mean surface iron, I would go with straight 65# braid. Then use either 30# or 40# floro leader. The 25N has pretty decent braid capacity: 650/20 • 450/50 • 370/65. If you meant yo-yo jigging, then I would step over to the 30 Torque. Here's an article from Erik that might help you as well.

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I really like Penn's new Fathom 25N, plan on using it for 30# surface jigging, backed by 50# Spectra, in local So-Cal waters. However, I have been told that for SD long range trips (4-7 days) it is recommended to use 40# for surface jigging. Do you think the 100 yards of 40# topshot, with spectra backing, would be too much for the reel in regards to capacity and reel capabilities? The reel is on the smaller side being a narrow, but has 25 pound max drag. I have also been looking at the Daiwa Saltist Black Gold 35, their narrow jig reel equivalent (less drag than the Penn Fathom though), but holds slightly more line than the FTH25N.

Do you think the Penn would suffice for 40# topshot surface jigging; or should I go with the Daiwa for more capacity? (Really like the Penn and Daiwas for their free spool and casting capabilities.) Should I just step up to the Penn Fathom 30; fully capable of 30-40# line and it's capacity, but lose the advantage of a narrow reel for surface jigging? Or is their another reel you guys would recommend for 30-40# surface Iron setups?

*Prefer a narrow reel for surface jigging.

Thanks for any input.

Just to clarify, the Penn 25N and Daiwa 35 [formerly 30T] size have pretty much the identical line capacity. Any apparent discrepancy is due to differences in line brand, installation tension, or final fill-up level.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
Just to clarify, the Penn 25N and Daiwa 35 [formerly 30T] size have pretty much the identical line capacity. Any apparent discrepancy is due to differences in line brand, installation tension, or final fill-up level.

I WAS TOTALLY WRONG!!! The Penn Fathom 25N actually has MORE line capacity than the equivalent Daiwa model; couple this with the Penn having more drag, I believe I have settled my own dilemma. See what happens when you second guess a potential purchase too much!?

Thanks for the input BluePabst, that helped out a lot and made me double check my information. Tunanorth, thank you for your input...I have stated in another thread that I have a guaranteed purchase of the Penn Baja Special as my 40-60# bait/yo-yo reel, thanks to your info, and now with this clarification on the 25N I have locked in my surface iron reel.

Thanks again guys!!!

eddiefishtaco

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 16, 2009
FONTANA,CA USA
Name
EDDIE
Boat
sold
30# p line cxx is line 40# line, and casts very nice for that old school style, new model reel.

Braided line? I like 832 Suffix
For the surface iron but use a magnet or practice at the park.
Don't remove the thumb