Penn Fathom 25N Freespool Lever Jam

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by ZZZFISH, Jul 9, 2013.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    dont get me wrong, Im a penn lover, have a 320gti, fathom40, 113h, penn 506hs, penn 505 and on my birthaday list there is a Baja Special old model or the new white one, I really dont matter that much.

it just that I would like to have known this "trick" before getting the reel on the water for the first time, something like a special red note or something on the box.

2. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    Its very simple guys... Keep your thumb on the spool and go backwards when you want to put it into freespool...

3. Alan's buddy

Alan's buddy Newbie

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    none
    Does this happen with the Torque star drags as well?

4. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    hmm well I must be doing something wrong cuz to practice I lifted with my rod a 5lb# tackle box and I just cant move the spool at all with the thumb on my Fth40 star drag to release the pressure on the freespool lever

5. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

With a 5-pound weight on the end, it will probably take using both thumbs at the same time; but just one thumb should be able to do it easily with any kind of normal sinker or lure.

6. tunanorth

tunanorth I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tunanorth
    Boat:
    Bass Tracker 16

Most of the time, yes.
    This minor motion is necessary due to the "Live Spindle" feature, which requires removal of weight load on the gear train to drop into freespool.
    Most owners of reels with this feature feel that it is a very worthwhile tradeoff in order to get the substantially improved freespool and castability that it gives.
    In PENN's lineup, Live Spindle is only available on some of the non-levelwind star-drag models, as it would be wasted in reels with a level-wind mechanism, and in fact cannot be included on lever drags.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  7. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    I am curious... With a fish hooked up, and pressure on the reel... Why would someone even want to go to freespool? lol

matta57 likes this.
  8. mberggre

mberggre Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    I own 3 reels with the live spindle feature. I really haven't noticed the "problem" that people are speaking of. I always have my thumb on the spool when I'm taking my reel out of gear. Maybe I take a slight amount of pressure off?

I also hooked bottom when I was yoyo fishing with 15 lbs of drag. I was able to take the reel out of gear. It's not that hard...

9. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    well, nobody is wants to get freespool with a fish hooked up, but picture this.

you are fishing lincods or any other fish in the deep, 70-90yds deep and using 10oz or 12oz lead plus the bait or a heavy jig, then at middle water you want to drop the jig again with just giving freespool, drop the bottom and few crancks back then freespool, this should be as easy as it reads and it actualy is that easy on most reel, but on the fathom you have to thumb the spool and give a bit pressure backwards and them move the lever of freespool, but if you dont know this "trick" then you will have hard time pulling the lever.

I was testing with 5# weight just to see how hard it was and it was really hard to do it, Tunanorth is right, you normally dont have that weight and need the freespool, I will practice with 8oz speedjig.

10. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    What suprises me with these threads is the ability to not figure these things out on the water. I have given my 2 fathoms to my brother For Christmas but I went blind into a 6 day having never used them as did he. We both in about 1 cast realized something with the free spool was affecting the levers ability to disengage. But we literally talked for a minute found the solution of rolling back spool and proceeded . We could have faulted the reel but instead figured it out and cast 7x-s as far as possible and MURDERED like 10 yellows on surface iron in a place and time when they were not supposed to do that. Point is they are great reels and when u have a reel that has a quirk that leads to a benefit. ....adapt...

I wonder 25 years ago how many threads would have been started because their Newell made noises :D

ColdEye and mberggre like this.
  11. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    well, that small issue didnt stop me from catching a lot of fishes some nice YT and a bigazz cabrilla, actually the freespool issue just bothered me a bit but catching nice fishes on it, the stopping power, the casteability and how light the reel is made forget that situation until I found this threadmany days later of the trip LOL.

it was a good thing though cuz with this thread I found out I dont have a problem on the reel but a tradeoff thingy, no more complains from my part, I said it before and will say it again, love penn brand and will use this brand always, since many years ago at least one of my reels that always take with me to fish is a penn, right there are two, my good old 320gt with upgraded drags and the fathom 40

12. mberggre

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    Yeah, i figured this out in about 30 seconds. It hasn't bothered me at all. I didn't even realize that it was an issue for people until this thread popped up.

matta57 and arenpilav41 like this.
  13. luckylogger6

luckylogger6 Member

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    none
    If I get in a bad tangle with 2-3 other hooked fish, I have gone in to what Brian on the AA calls controlled free spool to keep from sawing off each other and buy us some time for a crew member to come save the day.

14. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    Im just saying.... I don't think its a big deal lol

15. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    or you can lift the rod tip fast like your setting a hook, then before it drops put it into freespool.. I mean, that is the compromise for the amazing freespool these reels give... I jus dont think its a big deal, at all.

16. mberggre

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    N/A
    I was fishing at Colonett and I snagged the bottom with 50 lb line. I was able to take the reel out of gear with at least 15lbs of load. You can take the reel out of gear with a fish on.

17. FullStrike

FullStrike Newbie

Name:
    Capt. George
    Boat:
    Lady Diane
    On the original 25N's eccentric pin was too short. It was redesigned and made longer thus solving the problem for the most part. When using heavy jigs I would still employ the thumb technique referenced above.

18. ninj

ninj ninj

Name:
    John White
    Boat:
    20' glasstron CC '77 sea fury
    Maybe when I get back to the shop, I can post some pictures of the slight modification we do to the yolk to aliviate this issue. The tq 15 and 25n are our go to reels for our charter boats. They are the only reels we found that can handle 100+ days a year.

19. junkyardEd

junkyardEd Special Baiter Wizard

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    SOLD
    Doug has done that modification on My three reels and now they are smooth as butter.

20. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    I would like to see that mod.

Thanks in advance