Penn fathom 25 LDN "sunset" drag setting?

PENN

FNHNY

Feb 18, 2019
NY
Name
R
Boat
Nearfuture
I just purchased a fathom 25 LDN reel(black/red color) and have a question on the lever drag settting..when going from mid/strike to sunset,there is a plastic tab with a ramp on it to activate it all the way to sunset.it seems the only way to get it to sunset,I must engage the lever all the way up to the tab then manually push in the tab with my finger to fully engage it to sunset.is this correct or should it go smoothly from mid to sunset by just pushing the drag lever all the way forward?
Thanks for any help and happy new year!

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I just purchased a fathom 25 LDN reel(black/red color) and have a question on the lever drag settting..when going from mid/strike to sunset,there is a plastic tab with a ramp on it to activate it all the way to sunset.it seems the only way to get it to sunset,I must engage the lever all the way up to the tab then manually push in the tab with my finger to fully engage it to sunset.is this correct or should it go smoothly from mid to sunset by just pushing the drag lever all the way forward?
Thanks for any help and happy new year!

Correct: You must depress the button [tab] to get the drag lever to the Sunset position.
After you leave the mid/Strike position, where it stops at the button [tab] is "Full".
Assuming you have set Strike at 25-33 percent of line test, then Full should be close to the max that line test can handle.
Anything beyond this could break your line, so the button is there to make sure you don't get into that "danger zone" due to accident or adrenaline.
The Sunset position would primarily be for a "do or die" situation, such as a shark/sea lion is about to get your fish, or its about to run under a rock, and you are probably going to lose it anyway.

Upvote 0

FNHNY

Feb 18, 2019
NY
Name
R
Boat
Nearfuture
Thanks for the fast reply tunanorth,just wanted to make sure it was correct as is.
Happy new year to you and all at BD!

Upvote 0

Zdimas

May 11, 2021
San diego
Name
Zebastian Dimas
Boat
Crusty biscuits
I know this thread is old hopefully I get a quick reply. I put my reel on sunset and can’t put it back how would I put it back

• Wow
Reactions: Tugboat64
Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
I know this thread is old hopefully I get a quick reply. I put my reel on sunset and can’t put it back how would I put it back
It should just slide back down as if you moved it from strike to freespool. Is there any weird feelings going on? Grinding, clunking, anything out of the ordinary?

Upvote 0

Zdimas

May 11, 2021
San diego
Name
Zebastian Dimas
Boat
Crusty biscuits
It should just slide back down as if you moved it from strike to freespool. Is there any weird feelings going on? Grinding, clunking, anything out of the ordinary?
Thanks I figured it out I had taken off the tension knob and didn’t put it back together properly I had to take it apart and put it back

Reactions: Tugboat64
Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16

Chances are that you have the "pre-set" pretty tight, but do not touch it.
Gently but firmly & smoothly pull the lever back; it may take some strength, but don't jerk on it.
Once its back to normal, still don't touch the "pre-set" unless the drag lever is all the way in "freespool".
If in fact you adjusted the pre-set knob with the drag engaged, you may have caused some damage.
Otherwise, use a scale to set your drag [seat of the pants is rarely the setting you think it is], with the "Strike" setting being 1/3 of the pound test of the topshot/leader [not the braid].
With the drag properly set, it would be very unusual if you ever had to go to Sunset.

Upvote 0