Penn Fathom 15 for Surface Iron

OZZIE312

Jun 10, 2019
Oak Park, CA
Name
BILL O
Boat
SS MINOW
Hi I originally posed this question in the jigging section and did not get much input.

I am new to surface irons. I have been practicing on land throwing a 15SD with a CalStar 700L. I have gotten more comfortable and ready to graduate to an 8ft rod. I have been throwing my 25NSD and 15SD and I am still far more comfortable with the 15. Both reels are backed with 50lb spectra. Other than line capacity is there any reason not to throw irons with a 15SD? The line capacity on a 15 is similar to the capacity of baitcasters some people use for throwing iron, so I am a bit perplexed. Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: Chucker o’ Jigs

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Mechanically it can certainly handle it.
The primary issue will be retrieve rate.
Assuming you have the "Gen1" star drags.
15SD= 28 inches per turn
25NSD= 40 inches per turn
Since the classic Jigmaster 500 was only 25 Inches Per Turn, the classic surface irons like Tady 45's will work fine.
One other issue is that if you are throwing a long mono topshot, 40-pound mono can be very "wiry" on the small spool of the15.
Not that much of an issue if your long topshot is 30-pound mono, or if you are throwing straight braid with a short leader.
Speeds are slightly different if you have "Gen2" star drags.

OZZIE312

Jun 10, 2019
Oak Park, CA
Name
BILL O
Boat
SS MINOW
Thanks. I do have a gen 1 star drag. I am tying to learn to cast with straight braid and a short leader. So this is good info. I think I need to get over the line capacity hang up.

Reactions: MAG0121

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Almost forgot to mention... once you get an 8’ rod that suits you well, you may find the 25 size easier to use. Depends, but you may get a serious boost in velocity at the start of the cast. A taller spool rotates slower to pay out the same length of line per second.

OZZIE312

Jun 10, 2019
    Oak Park, CA
    Name
    BILL O
    Boat
    SS MINOW
    Almost forgot to mention... once you get an 8’ rod that suits you well, you may find the 25 size easier to use. Depends, but you may get a serious boost in velocity at the start of the cast. A taller spool rotates slower to pay out the same length of line per second.
    Thanks. I follow that.

May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    It definitely helps to have the biggest gears you can in the reels. The Pinion Gear is ultimately the most important gear... typically the bigger it is in proportion to the spool, the harder the reel will pull.

I believe the Gen I Star Drags all have the same main gear and pinion gear, so it’s really a matter of IPT and how much you need. The 40 IPT does feel nice on smaller grade fish, tend to kill them a bit quicker: I feel that the Gen 1 25N pulls plenty for 40lb surface irons.

Also maybe try learning on your 25N with 40lb mono over braid and a topshot. You’ll learn a bit faster (I think, mono is just easier to cast outright) and well, 40lb pulls harder. No need for looking at sensitivity... you’ll know if you’re into a fish before you have the option to set the hook. But if you need a versatile 25N and 8ft rod that can a couple different things, maybe braid is the way to go.

Reactions: OZZIE312
    Upvote 0

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
    Encinitas, CA
    www.coastlaw.com
    Name
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat
    Nah
    I love casting surface irons with my FathomII15SD. The magnetic casting brake, once dialed in to the particular weight of iron pretty much eliminates the need for the "educated thumb," but still allows for really long casts.

I'm currently fishing this reel with 50lb Seaguar Threadlock filled to the brim, a short 50lb fluoro leader, on an 8ft heavy Shimano Terez rod.

Reactions: MRC70