Penn 950ssm, Fin-Nor OF9500, Sargossa 18000f, Cabo 80 bait runner

Discussion in 'Noreast Fishing Reports' started by Megalodon4g63, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Megalodon4g63

Megalodon4g63 Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    n/a
    I recently retired my older Penn 950ssg (the one without the infinite anti reverse) and gave it to my father. Now I'm on the market for another spinning reel capable of handling headboat tuna with braid. I understand Stella reels and Accurat reels have a great track record, but the price of $900.00 cannot be justified right now - rather get a International 2 speed conventional for that price.

Anyway, I've been looking closely at purchasing another Penn 950ssm, but Fin-Nor OF9500, Sargossa 18000f, and the Cabo 80 with the bait runner are catching my eye. I can get the Cabo 80 for $189.00 and the Fin-Nor for about the same... any ideas? I do know you can upgrade the Penn950 drag to beef it up, but read its not worth the money with the other premium reels out there.

I've heard the Cabo is an excellent top quality reel for the money in the $200.00 range, but I don't know much about the Shimano Sargossa and have heard about the Fin-Nor OF9500 as being a great reel. I do like the baitrunner functionality and swaying toward the Cabo.

Remember, it is a replacement that can handle tuna if necessary - planning on bringing it on a headboat for tuna and letting my father use my conventional gear. BTW, is Stella and VanStal really worth the price? PM if necessary...

Van Staal: No Limitations. Official Site of the World's Toughest Tackle.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont...Stella_FA.html

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont.../Saragosa.html

http://www.quantumfishing.com/produc...it-Teaser.aspx

Fin-Nor World Class Tackle

Penn Reels

2. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    So among the choices you laid out the class of the bunch is the Saragossa. It puts out more drag reliably and has the highest quality components. This should be no surprise given that it is the priciest of your main bunch. Among those that follow these things closely the Saragossa is considered the "100lb Tuna" reel reliably though larger can be caught with proper technique and people are very comfortable recommending them for that role.

The other reels are get 'er dun sort of quality (more like fish to 75lbs) that with proper care and attention will handle larger tuna as well, just not handle the sort of abuse that a Saragossa will (as far as drag pressure that is) day after day. Very large (like 200lb) Blue Fin are caught in CCB with Penn reels but that requires a lot of angler skill (spool palming) and a boat that can chase. They are simple work horses but they just have a somewhat heavy body and lower quality components than a Saragossa. No knowledge of Cabo to share, Fin Nor notoriously heavy but have tremendous capacity so don't get one too big.

Stella and Van Staal *are* worth it if you are targeting 200lb+ Tuna. Some will say they are worth every single cent for that pursuit but that is far more than your stated need.

ps. I don't know the retrieve rates of the Cabo or Fin Nor off of the top of my head but both the Penn and the Shimano are in the 4.25-4.9 range which is good so be sure to consider that in your purchase too. Many companies make "high speed" reels to make working lures easy but they are not good when fighting larger fish or if you want the reel for deep jigging etc.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  3. The Joker

The Joker Newbie

Name:
    Joshua Benton
    Boat:
    21, Triumph, The Joker
  4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan Newbie

Name:
    22' Dixie WA
    Boat:
    Crazy Ivan
  5. DR. SMASHER

DR. SMASHER Newbie

Name:
    patrick
    Boat:
    Chop Buster, 23' center console Privateer. Modded out
    Whats good about the Van Staal besides water proofing?

6. tugasangler

tugasangler Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Yankee Capts
    I’d get size comparable daiwa BG and call it a day and I doubt you’ll be disappointed

7. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    The Cabo Bait Teezers currently appear to be external to the US market. Are you willing to take gamble on state-side warranty, factory service, or parts support? The only Bait Teasers available in the US market are the graphite FIn Nors; since you retired your SSG and looking at mostly all-metal replacements, the Fin Nor BTs seem out-of-place.

As much as I like my BG 6500, the graphite rotor on it and the 8000 are a questionable option for pushing above a dedicated 50lb setup. For anything 60lb+, all-metal is a more prudent choice, IMHO. I recent chased down the discontinued Cabo 100 and 120 PTsE's for my 80lb and 100lb spinners, but these may be overkill for what you are looking for; the 60 and 80 PTsE's (if staying with the "Zebco" family) would be more in line with what you had with the SSG.

Last edited: May 19, 2019