I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Hi All,
Looking forward to seeing BD'ers aboard our 8-Day trip aboard the Shogun, running June 16-24, 2013.
Possible targets include mossback yellowtail, and 30 to 60-pound yellowfin tuna at Alijos, quality yellowtail at the Ridge, and good shots at bluefin tuna on the way down and the way back.
I'll be aboard and giving out lots of prizes, including a Penn International 2-speed for the jackpot winner.
$1775, 26 passengers.
Call Andrea at Shogun office [619-226-8030] to reserve a spot!

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Ill be on that trip, trying to get another buddu to join in, naybe carpool

Great! Looking forward to seeing you out there!

Hoose

GOT ONE
Jan 28, 2006
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Bob Hoose
Boat
PROSPECTOR
Steve, can you post recommended tackle selection for the June 8 day trip. One of my friends from Texas is going and needs some tackle suggestions. Thanks Hoose

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Steve, can you post recommended tackle selection for the June 8 day trip. One of my friends from Texas is going and needs some tackle suggestions. Thanks Hoose
Bob, great that you will be aboard.
Basic tackle to prevent non-hardcore types from suffering "tackle decision overload":

1. Light live bait combo with 20/25 pound topshot.
For reluctant or lethargic albacore and schoolie bluefin.
Penn Fathom FTH15 or Torque TRQ15 reel/Bluewater Carnage CARBW700XL rod.

2. Medium live bait combo w/30 pound topshot.
For general purpose albacore and schoolie bluefin.
Penn Fathom FTH25N or Torque TRQ25N reel/Bluewater Carnage CARBW700ML rod.

3. Heavy live bait combo w/40 pound topshot.
For active albacore/bluefin, or larger-grade tuna from 40-100 pounds.
Penn Torque TRQ30LD2 reel/Bluewater Carnage CARBW700M rod.

4. Extra-heavy combo with 60/80 pound topshot.
For WO offshore bites, big baits [mackerel, squid] for tuna, and dropper-looping for yellowtail/grouper.
Penn 16VSX reel/Bluewater Carnage CARBW765L rod.

The above four are really all you need, but also consider:

5. [Optional] Jigging combo with 40/50 pound topshot
For yellowtail, tuna, wahoo, and other species on traditional yo-yo iron.
Penn Baja Special 113HN/Bluewater Carnage CARBW700H rod.

6. [Optional] Goof-off combo.
Any light 12-20 pound bass-style combo [spin or baitcast] for probable encounters with inshore species.

7. Trolling rod- use boat's.

8. Kite rod- use boat's [not common on spring 8-dayers].

For novice/intermediate anglers, longer topshots from 50-100 yards are preferable, but more advanced anglers can go as short as they like.

bluewaterbum

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
Should have booked this trip but I ended up booking june 8 day on the Intrepid.. Now I still need some more rods have one carnage just might get a couple more for my 30 and 50 line class rods. Can't make my mind up if I should go with Penn or Calstar..

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Should have booked this trip but I ended up booking june 8 day on the Intrepid.. Now I still need some more rods have one carnage just might get a couple more for my 30 and 50 line class rods. Can't make my mind up if I should go with Penn or Calstar..

Sorry we won't get to see you this year, I'm sure you will have fun on your trip!

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
A photo of the sushi feast served up aboard the Shogun on last year's trip may whet your appetite!

Attachments

bluewaterbum

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
Since I liked my 700H I'm going to try some others to see how they feel and work on my 8 day. I also have the loaners from the boat to try out also to compare with. For my first trip it will be easier not putting out boat loads of money on rods, but use the savings for terminal tackle.

Bob, great that you will be aboard.
Basic tackle to prevent non-hardcore types from suffering "tackle decision overload":

1. Light live bait combo with 20/25 pound topshot.
For reluctant or lethargic albacore and schoolie bluefin.
Penn Fathom FTH15 or Torque TRQ15 reel/Bluewater Carnage CARBW700XL rod.

2. Medium live bait combo w/30 pound topshot.
For general purpose albacore and schoolie bluefin.
Penn Fathom FTH25N or Torque TRQ25N reel/Bluewater Carnage CARBW700ML rod.

3. Heavy live bait combo w/40 pound topshot.
For active albacore/bluefin, or larger-grade tuna from 40-100 pounds.
Penn Torque TRQ30LD2 reel/Bluewater Carnage CARBW700M rod.

4. Extra-heavy combo with 60/80 pound topshot.
For WO offshore bites, big baits [mackerel, squid] for tuna, and dropper-looping for yellowtail/grouper.
Penn 16VSX reel/Bluewater Carnage CARBW765L rod.

The above four are really all you need, but also consider:

5. [Optional] Jigging combo with 40/50 pound topshot
For yellowtail, tuna, wahoo, and other species on traditional yo-yo iron.
Penn Baja Special 113HN/Bluewater Carnage CARBW700H rod.

6. [Optional] Goof-off combo.
Any light 12-20 pound bass-style combo [spin or baitcast] for probable encounters with inshore species.

7. Trolling rod- use boat's.

8. Kite rod- use boat's [not common on spring 8-dayers].

For novice/intermediate anglers, longer topshots from 50-100 yards are preferable, but more advanced anglers can go as short as they like.

Jalos11

Sep 5, 2011
West Covina, California
Name
Javier
Boat
Shogun
just under 2 months to go, cant wait for the trip to get underway, cant wait to try out my new Torque 40 2 speed I got at the FHS, also steve will the boat have a trolling set up or should I take mine?

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
just under 2 months to go, cant wait for the trip to get underway, cant wait to try out my new Torque 40 2 speed I got at the FHS, also steve will the boat have a trolling set up or should I take mine?

The boat will definitely have trolling gear for you, plus I will probably have a "demo" set or two.
You only need to bring a troller if you have one that is your personal preference to use.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
just 1 more month to go, time to get my gear ready and see what i might need

Since the first bluefin has already been caught right where we fished [and did well] on this trip last year, definitely have plenty of fluorocarbon in 25-50!

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
I got 75 yards of 40lb , 75 yards of 50lb, 75 yards of 60lb, 50 yards of 30, would I need more steve?

That yardage is plenty.
On this trip last year, there were a couple of periods when we were in "school size" bluefin when 25-pound was good to have, and of course I am "knocking on wood" that we will encounter some albacore on our trip.
It couldn't hurt to have some 25 fluoro as well.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Still a couple of spots open on this trip, but I have a feeling that if a boat makes a halfway-decent score on bluefin within the next week, it will fill right up!

Jalos11

Sep 5, 2011
West Covina, California
Name
Javier
Boat
Shogun
guys check this out, awaiting us in just 2 weeks, Hi folks,

Were off to a good start thats for sure. We took advantage of the grease calm weather
and spent the day offshore looking for Tuna, Yellow tail and what ever other species we
could find. By seven AM we had the boat stopped nice drift for about three hours. We had
three Bluefin over 100 lbs, five between 65-80 lbs and the rest were about 40-50lbs. We ended
the day with 45 Blue fin 12 Yellow fin 3 yellow tail and 1 Mahi.
----
This e-mail was delivered via satellite phone Shogun Sportfishing....

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
ONE spot left; the bluefin are biting, don't miss out!

Jalos11

Sep 5, 2011
West Covina, California
Name
Javier
Boat
Shogun
Hey Syeve, theres been talk about upgrading the reels because the size of the BFT, any suggestions, shall I take my 30sw and how would you suggest what I fill it with, tnx and see u in 10 days on the Shogun

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Hey Syeve, theres been talk about upgrading the reels because the size of the BFT, any suggestions, shall I take my 30sw and how would you suggest what I fill it with, tnx and see u in 10 days on the Shogun

Javier,
Yes, the big BFT are game changers.
If you have a 30SW by all means bring it, though a 16VSX is perfect for this grade of fish.
Assume you probably have the 30SW at least 3/4 to 7/8 full with 100 or 130 braid, then topshot with 80-pound mono, and a 4-foot piece of 80-fluoro [or maybe they will bite 100 fluoro], and you'll be fine.
Definitely circle hooks; BFT of this grade have teeth.

Jalos11

Sep 5, 2011
West Covina, California
Name
Javier
Boat
Shogun
Javier,
Yes, the big BFT are game changers.
If you have a 30SW by all means bring it, though a 16VSX is perfect for this grade of fish.
Assume you probably have the 30SW at least 3/4 to 7/8 full with 100 or 130 braid, then topshot with 80-pound mono, and a 4-foot piece of 80-fluoro [or maybe they will bite 100 fluoro], and you'll be fine.
Definitely circle hooks; BFT of this grade have teeth.
Steve,tnx on the 30sw, but I don't ave a 16vsx, but I do have a 16S, how would you spool it with what line configuration as far as braid, topshot and leader, and what size circle hooks to use for the BFT

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Steve,tnx on the 30sw, but I don't ave a 16vsx, but I do have a 16S, how would you spool it with what line configuration as far as braid, topshot and leader, and what size circle hooks to use for the BFT

Javier,
Unfortunately the 16S is a much older model, and not configured to fish heavy line straight out of the box like the 16VSX is.
The 16S without aftermarket modification is best with up to 40-pound topshots.
Your 30SW is also an older model, but as long as its in good mechanical shape will be more than up to the task of subduing those big bluefin.

Jalos11

Sep 5, 2011
West Covina, California
Name
Javier
Boat
Shogun
Javier,
Unfortunately the 16S is a much older model, and not configured to fish heavy line straight out of the box like the 16VSX is.
The 16S without aftermarket modification is best with up to 40-pound topshots.
Your 30SW is also an older model, but as long as its in good mechanical shape will be more than up to the task of subduing those big bluefin.
Ok Steve tnx, but I do have a new TRQnld2 which I will be taking to the trip, will this reel be adequate for the BFT and what line configuration do you suggest, now I have 80 lb braid and would be using 60 lb floro. shame I wanted to use my 16s buy I will take it as a back-up, as for the 30sw yes I only took it on a 7 day trip on the Qualifier but have not caught any fish on it, so it is in near new condition, tnx for your input. see you in a week

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Ok Steve tnx, but I do have a new TRQnld2 which I will be taking to the trip, will this reel be adequate for the BFT and what line configuration do you suggest, now I have 80 lb braid and would be using 60 lb floro. shame I wanted to use my 16s buy I will take it as a back-up, as for the 30sw yes I only took it on a 7 day trip on the Qualifier but have not caught any fish on it, so it is in near new condition, tnx for your input. see you in a week

Your TRQ30LD2 should be fine for all but the biggest bluefin; I have used mine for yellowfin in the 100-plus class with no issues [though the narrower 25N's line capacity for that grade is tight].
You may want to hold off on installing the topshot until we get the skipper's instructions, as he may recommend 40, 50, or 60, depending on the grade of the fish and how aggressively they are biting when we sail.
It sounds like the predominant grade of bluefin is 40-70, with a few spots of those much bigger guys lurking around.
If by some fortunate chance we run into those 125-150-plus bluefin, by all means break out that 30SW with some 80 or 100 on it!

Jalos11

Sep 5, 2011
West Covina, California
Name
Javier
Boat
Shogun
Your TRQ30LD2 should be fine for all but the biggest bluefin; I have used mine for yellowfin in the 100-plus class with no issues [though the narrower 25N's line capacity for that grade is tight].
You may want to hold off on installing the topshot until we get the skipper's instructions, as he may recommend 40, 50, or 60, depending on the grade of the fish and how aggressively they are biting when we sail.
It sounds like the predominant grade of bluefin is 40-70, with a few spots of those much bigger guys lurking around.
If by some fortunate chance we run into those 125-150-plus bluefin, by all means break out that 30SW with some 80 or 100 on it!

Jalos11

Sep 5, 2011
West Covina, California
Name
Javier
Boat
Shogun
Steve, actually I have a TRQ40LD2 what are your thoughts to get a big BFT on that, just that spectra, braid is kindda new to me that's why all the question, what would be the proper line configuration on the 40, as far as braid and a top shoot or just a flouro leader at the end of the braid