Outhouse

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
I have a 20+ year old Penn 113H reel that looks brand new. This thing had been used one time in 1987 for bottom fishing and then put on the shelf. A year ago, I put new drag washers in it. I know these reels have had lots and lots of good service, but for LR fishing, what is its "Place"? Also, what is a good "cheap" rod for it? I figure to use htis as a backup so I don't want to spend a lot of $.

HTA

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 18, 2005
Anaheim
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
When I first got mine we ran down to the East Cape catching stripers and sails with it. Stock frame was a little teeaked so put a tiburon frame on it and never had a problem again. It has seen action at guadelupe for yellowfin and yellowtail both on bait and I still use it as a backup for yoyo fishing. My friend Raul used the 113h and a torium at Cedros last year and had a blast catching yellows on the iron. The reel was put on a Sabre Stroker CTS 665 HC 6'6" which was purchased at the Fred Hall Show a few years back for $39.99 as a Big 5 Sporting good sale. Its loaded with 65lb spectra and a 40 or even 50 lb mono topshot. In my book its a keeper.

terryc.

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 12, 2006
Chatsworth
Name
Terry
Boat
20 ft. Marlin cc
I have one on an old 6' 6" Fenwick Pacificstick with a tib frame I call it old faithfull It has a place on all my trips and does see a lot of yoyo action the stock gearing works fine Added an Accurate handle a few years back. Newbies allways kill with it.
Terry

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Dan, Aren't the tiburon frames around $100? Any other components to replace?

Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
mike's-bill's good to have friends
just install a accurate or tiburon frame with a set of HT100 drags with stainless steel drag washers. I like to put a very lite coat of cal"s grease on the HT100 to make the drags smoother. you can find frames on ebay all the time.

PescadorPete

Here, Fishy, Fishy!
Nov 4, 2007
Leucadia, CA
Name
Pete
Boat
Hobie Revo13 (LJ), American Angler (SD), Success (PV)
My reel is 12 years old and still going strong. As a minimum I suggest the Tiburon frame ($80). To trick it out, I added Smoothdrag machined steel drag washers (more drag) and the Tiburon handle (more comfort). For the past few years, I had the stock gears in it so it made a great bait reel. I found a set of Accurate 4:1 gears last year so on my fall trip, I switched it over to a yo-yo reel. It was a killer on the yellowtail. I like the wider spool (instead of the narrow YT special) since the line is moving faster more of the time. As far as line goes, I keep mine old school and simple, loaded with a 1/4# spool of 50# Big Game.

You might notice the harness lugs are also gone. They just get in the way when the line starts flying off the reel. I made a scribe mark on them using the end plates as a guide, cut them off with a hacksaw and then smoothly filed them down until they matched the curve of the end plate. I thought they might corrode since they were cut but the alloy seems impervious to the salt water.

There seems to be no end to this. This winter I made a new yoyo handle using a Progear power handle shaft and an alantani knob. This feels better in my hand - we'll see what the yellowtail think next time I get out.

I have lots of 'bling' reels but I always give my 113H time at the rail. Its fun driving the classics, too.

113h.jpg

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
So Pete, you obviously think investing $80 in a 21 year old reel is worth the investment. Do you have stock spool? Mine has an aluminum spool, I think. It is not graphite/plastic like the newer ones.

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
it's a great trolling reel. casting small baits is another matter. the stock drags can be greased and deliver a reliable 20-25#'s of drag. this makes the reel suitable for straight 50-60# mono with 15-20# of drag. it is not a truely spectra worthy reel, but that's ok. for what it is and what it does, i think the venerable 4/0 penn 113h is one of the best values around.

SpikeCB22

Friend of Joe Morgan
Aug 7, 2006
calafagas, CA
Name
not Jon Miller
Boat
none
Caught my only 200lb black seabass on one. The fish made 6 or 7 runs and the drags are still fine.