Penguin Banks on 1/1/11

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by volcanic, Jan 3, 2011.

1. volcanic

volcanic Newbie

Name:
    Jerry Meredith
    Boat:
    26, Striper, Malia Linda
    Lots of ones in 1/1/11 and thats what we got on Saturday...one mahimahi. It was really nice out there...lots of whales and calm seas. So calm that we decided to add an additional line to our normal five 80's spread. Added my Saltist jigging pole with a 3" jet ( Minnie me) to the spread. Catching that one mahi on the saltist was a lot of fun. At least dinner for my buddy kiwi's and my family. We also flound a small glass ball at the corner....20 years at sea and the damn ball didnt last a day at my house...my wife left it on top of the dryer and the buggah fell off and broke! Lose money!!

2. wisebob

wisebob Newbie

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    smallsize kine
    Jerry,

Thanks for the report and glad you at least got some fish sandwiches.

I think I passed you by coming out of Maunalua Bay Saturday morning. I was going in on the mini-you 19 feet Striper and you were going out. Took my wife, brother, 2 nieces, and son out that morning for a short boat ride.

bob

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  3. nodrama

nodrama Newbie

Name:
    Ryan
    Jerry, good going on your mahi,that must have been a good fight, too bad on the glass ball though.

4. BNaks

BNaks Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Baby Hawk
    Glass ball broken... Damn. That sucks! At least got the mahi.

5. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Jerry,
    That is great on the mahi; we are all about the battle. Let me tell you; I sympathize about the ball, we have found 2 and I cherish them. Again good goin' on the fish!!!

Cheers
    Pat

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  6. CHRISTINA GAIL

CHRISTINA GAIL Newbie

Name:
    BEN
    Boat:
    21 ALI'I KAI - CHRISTINA GAIL
    BUMMERS ABOUT THE BALL! But that must have been fun fighting the Mahi on the Saltist - Now that's Fishing! Happy New Year!

7. fetzerb

fetzerb BAMF

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    none at the time
    "Glass ball?" Do you mean the old glass net floats? I found old an metal one before, but not a glass one yet. They are cool to collect, some people pay top dollar for them.

8. volcanic

volcanic Newbie

Name:
    Jerry Meredith
    Boat:
    26, Striper, Malia Linda
    It was a small glass fishing float ball...unfortunately, broken ones aren't worth much. I was telling my neighbor the story of the glass ball ....he thought I was pissed at my wife about it so he gave my wife one from his large collection of glass balls....I think he worked at all the east Honolulu beaches including Hanauma back in the day. I wasn't pissed at my wife but I thought if I made a small kind stink about it I could get a pass for another day of fishing...oops, i mean glass ball hunting.

9. Bfee

Bfee Newbie

Name:
    Brett
    Boat:
    Nipo
    did you get the one the tooth feiry left you? PS thanks for helping my wife

10. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Jerry,

Too bad about the glass ball. At least now your wife has to let you back out there to find another one. 1/11/11 might be a good day to do just that. All ones again and the winds are supposed to be light (as of the last time I checked).

Jonny

11. MANAPUA MAN

MANAPUA MAN Newbie

Name:
    CAPPY
    Boat:
    23' TROPHY W/A "KEKILIA"
    Too bad on the glass ball.... They can be worth a lot of money......Especially the ones with water inside.
    Back in 1987 I was out around MM.... Just me and another boat trying to pick up some shibi.....
    As we were trolling around in circles....I spotted a glint off my starboard side.... Figured I was not catching..... so I ran over to check it out. I was by myself....so I bungie cord my wheel to allow the object to pass along the starboard side.... All my Lines are still out.........
    It's a very large glass ball still covered with the netting....... as it comes along side I snatch it Out of the water and drop it on deck... There are all kinds of crabs and creatures scooting for cover......
    My lures come into the zone where I just picked up the ball..... and all hell breaks loose..... Fish on all lines.
    I turn boat down sea and start fighting all..... I get two large Mahi and one very large Shibi into the Boat....The Others came off.
    I'm a "Happy Cappy"..... The other boat saw the action and he's charging in......
    I head home with blood In the Box...
    Checked out my ball......all the crabs and creatures bailed out through my scuppers.
    Ball is very large with water inside......
    Later....Like one "Lolo" I cut The netting off and was going to drill a hole to drain the water.....
    Thank God I had a UH marine science type friend SCUBA instructor and he stopped me from drilling the hole.
    Eh....no blame me.... I'm from Waianae class of 62....lived out there since 1948.....No child left behind my ass "I got left behind"
    My friend tells me the water got inside the Ball a very long time ago.....when it broke off the main net.... The heavy net took the ball to great depths.... The extreme pressures forced water into tiny small micro holes.......
    Eventually the net rotted and the ball came flying back up to the surface.....
    I still have the ball in my House and it still has water from the depths inside.......
    I've had a few offers.... Eventually I have to sell it.....
    My wife has already placed it in some very scary places...

12. volcanic

volcanic Newbie

Name:
    Jerry Meredith
    Boat:
    26, Striper, Malia Linda
    Right on Cappy! Thanks for posting a great story. Glad the crabs went out the scuppers instead of in your pants. You would have had a hard time explaining to your wife how you gave her crabs....honest honey, I got them while I was fishing!!!!

13. MANAPUA MAN

MANAPUA MAN Newbie

Name:
    CAPPY
    Boat:
    23' TROPHY W/A "KEKILIA"
    I've tried that story too........ She wasn't buying any tickets.
    It's getting harder to make up excuses for crabs....
    Pissing in the urinal is definitely out......