grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
One mahi and one barracuda...deep end near P looked really good, birds and dolphins around 200 fathom area...no good bites though. Water was OK but not flat. Another boat was working the area and also no big action. Sure looked good though.

Tight lines,

2quartslow

Aug 29, 2010
Kailua/Kaneohe, Hawaii
Name
Stoney
Boat
The one you are worried about.
Thats better than coming home with just ice. Good going on the catch. Sorry to hear no action with the pile. Maybe you catch em another day Capt.
Aloha,
Stoney

dausualinc

Nov 25, 2008
Honolulu
Name
Kekoa
Boat
30' Knife
Thanks for the heads up Eric, good going on the Mahi. Thats a hell of a lot better than what I was doing (work). Gonna try our luck monday or tuesday

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Good goin Eric on the Mahi and the Kaku. Did better than us we went 0 out of 3; think they were all spearfish bites but none stuck. Come on Dark Moon!

Thanks for the report.

Cheers
Pat

buoywx

Jun 29, 2010
Paia
www.buoyweather.com
Name
Dan
Boat
Skipjack 24 "WAVEWATCHIII"
My friend went from Kahului to Molokai yesterday. He was targeting onaga. The bite was slow and only got one. On the troll back he got a double ono strike right outside Kahului harbor 15 fathoms. Landed a 49lb and a 51lb.

I don't have any pictures, but I did get a nice slab of it to grill last night. Sure was good! It's been a couple months since I got my own ono.

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Thanks guys, the mahi maybe 15 more like 10 lbs hit a 12" root beer futa lure. It even broke the rubber band and turned the reel 1/2 a turn. Probably trying to mate w/it....if the guys weren't so stoked to eat it I would have live baited it.

Tight lines,

guava patch

Jul 4, 2009
windward
Name
Will
Boat
yours is probably better
Don't confuse people being secretive with not catching fish. Not catching is part of fishing, we all have tough runs. Please don't vent about hawaiian fishing style, I think all of us here are happy we are not fishing in Hatteras. Oh and good going Grander, thats more fish than I've seen all winter!

Last edited:

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Yeah, it goes in streaks.... We are on a good one, 4/6 last 6 trips, 150 lbs ahi, 300 lbs marlin, spearfish and mahi and 2 skunks...but, one time we got skunked 10 times in a row (ok, a few years ago and on a previous boat!).

Tight lines,

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 21
bruddahs, jus gotta go wit da flow...if trolling is slow, go BF or night time for akule or drag for tako or stay home and go spearing like blesum :drool:...no matta what, you burns your gas, spends your time and takes what you can get...enjoy the blessings you get - coming home to your family safely after a day on the water is a blessing, fish or no fish...no worry, be happy...no secrets there...always better luck next time...aloha.

Mingo

Jan 8, 2008
Seattle ("PC central")
Name
Mingo
Boat
in the future
Nice one Grander.....how do you prepare the kaku? Grill? Poke? I caught two of about 15 pounds from shore in Cabo about 15 years ago and had them both grilled at the old Seafood Mama's restaurant......it was damn good eating, very light flaky white meat!

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Nice one Grander.....how do you prepare the kaku? Grill? Poke? I caught two of about 15 pounds from shore in Cabo about 15 years ago and had them both grilled at the old Seafood Mama's restaurant......it was damn good eating, very light flaky white meat!
Yeah we threw it back cause I didn't have ciguatera test kit...need to get one of those...I hear they are good eating from friends in the Caribbean. Don't know how to prepare it though. They sure smell bad coming out of the water!

Tight lines,

Sep 9, 2010
Kaneohe,HI
If you do get one that is cig free, A couple of options once you get past the outer smell is sashimi, Chunk into steaks and either marinade, or S&P and grill, or pan fry. Very tasty fish. Too bad like the roi they usually are hot with cig such a waste. If you do get one with cig they make great shark bait or chum when you're diving.

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
No matta what, you burns your gas, spends your time and takes what you can get...enjoy the blessings you get - coming home to your family safely after a day on the water is a blessing, fish or no fish...no worry, be happy.
We caught a mahi at the Banks after calling off a run around Makapuu Point this morning. The north winds looked threatening so we headed south toward calmer waters. Just after we put the mahi in the box, the coupling from my hydraulic steering ram to the stern drive's steering shaft blew up and the boat started doing clockwise donuts. Crap! I think the steering shaft's spines may be stripped.

Thanks to Mazel Tov (Tony Mathis) for towing us back to Hawaii Kai. That surely had a negative impact on your charter today....sorry for the disruption. I'll be contacting you soon. A care package to your riders, and you, is certainly deserving.

Aloha for all your help, Tony!

Last edited:

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Sorry about that....good on Mazel Tov though, hold on, let me raise the wine glass....Mazel Tov!

Tight lines,

Nov 11, 2010
Kapaa, Kauai,HI
Name
John Morris
Boat
24' Mosquito / 13' whaler
Rite on Mozel Tov thatz wot its all about! Livin the ALOHA an teachin it 2 your passangerz., setting the example! Kaku iz unreal jus gotta check 'um. aloha john

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Congrats on the mahi and the 'cuda. Just being able to get out and go fishing is a winnah! On top of that, you got a bonus!