super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Just another heads up here, as I forgot to mention this the other day after I was shopping at Costco. They are now carrying Heavy duty (like real heavy duty) coolers made by Pelican Products. I checked these bad boys out pretty heavily, and they are definitely very very nice, and look to be very high quality coolers!!

They have two sizes for sale at Costco right now...... those being a 65 Quart model for I believe was $249.99 (maybe $259.99?) and the other one was their 95 Quart model for $299.99

These things are pretty sick, and every bit as good (many are already saying better) than the comparable Yeti Coolers.

Here is a little Youtube review of the Pelican Cooler

The unknown Bieberman:p:

Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
Jun 6, 2012
Tempe San Diego
Name
Nick
Boat
35 Cabo Express
I saw them and was going to ask if anyone knew how they were holding up. They look pretty stout.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
I saw them and was going to ask if anyone knew how they were holding up. They look pretty stout.

My bet is they will hold up insanely well. I set up conventions and trade shows, and whenever we do any Military shows of any type, pretty much the one and only container I seem to see them use and for many of their applications is the Pelican brand. Pelican makes solid solid stuff.

Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
Jun 6, 2012
Tempe San Diego
Name
Nick
Boat
35 Cabo Express
I am in the convention business too and have a ton of pelican products so I am familiar with the brand. I was just more curious about the ability to perform at the same level as the Yeti for keeping cool. I should have clarified that. I wonder if there is a comparison on these along with the new Coleman products like on Consumer reports? These prices are petty good if they compare.

Upvote 0

poncherello

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 11, 2005
san Diego
Name
Jerry
Boat
none
I have a pelican case for my AR and other rifles. They are worth every penny. My boss has a case for all his camera gear. Good stuff there too. I'm a Belieber. I may have to bite on this.

Thanks Biebs!

Upvote 0

screaming_spool

Apr 26, 2005
Cedros
Name
fisherman
Boat
What
I have a pelican cooler. Great coolers. Heavy. Latches and insulation work great

Upvote 0

Minions

Almost A Member
Oct 11, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Name
Daniel
Boat
Minion
Just another heads up here, as I forgot to mention this the other day after I was shopping at Costco. They are now carrying Heavy duty (like real heavy duty) coolers made by Pelican Products. I checked these bad boys out pretty heavily, and they are definitely very very nice, and look to be very high quality coolers!!

They have two sizes for sale at Costco right now...... those being a 65 Quart model for I believe was $249.99 (maybe $259.99?) and the other one was their 95 Quart model for $299.99

These things are pretty sick, and every bit as good (many are already saying better) than the comparable Yeti Coolers.

Here is a little Youtube review of the Pelican Cooler

Which Costco did you find these at? My local costco does not carry. Thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0

Fish Ed

Aug 28, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Ed Forbes
Boat
21' Parker Sport Cabin, Hoku o ke Kai
Which Costco did you find these at? My local costco does not carry. Thanks for the heads up!
They are nice coolers but their empty weight will put them on the path of being too heavy to handle especially when loaded. The 95 qt dry weight is 51 lbs. The 150 qt dry weight is 66 lbs. Weight is an issue in my 21' boat. I use a 110 qt cooler for a fish box. I make my own block ice and have not had any problems keeping my catch cool. I guess if I were to do multi day trips the pelican cooler might be worth the investment.

Upvote 0

h3oboy

h3oboy
Jul 20, 2007
O'side
Name
Barney
Boat
PropheSea
Independant Side by Side tests show the Pelican beating Yeti by more than a day of ice retention… I have the 35 and it is well built, heavy but does the job very well although I wouldn't want to try to huck around the 95 full of stuff

Upvote 0

Fish Ed

Aug 28, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Ed Forbes
Boat
21' Parker Sport Cabin, Hoku o ke Kai
Independant Side by Side tests show the Pelican beating Yeti by more than a day of ice retention… I have the 35 and it is well built, heavy but does the job very well although I wouldn't want to try to huck around the 95 full of stuff
I had a second thought on the ice retention. How valid is the test with ice only in the box? Any one who uses a cooler has it full of stuff they want to keep cold. Also coolers are opened and closed frequently when camping or boating. A better test would involve having to keep your contents cold and unspoiled. The pelican by design will keep things cold but I don't think the ice will last seven days with regular use. Just my additional $.02 worth.

Upvote 0

h3oboy

h3oboy
Jul 20, 2007
O'side
Name
Barney
Boat
PropheSea
You are right that No cooler with ordinary camping use will keep ice for a week, the test was done with the coolers each (the top 4 I think) about 1/2 full with canned sodas and ice, opened twice a day to take pictures. They were kept in the shade during 85 degree days and 60+ degree night, but side by side is still side by side and Pelican came out on top. My opinion is because they have worked to improve what was out there while the competitors have rested on their existing platforms

Upvote 0

Keitha

Oct 2, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
KA
Boat
Grady White 232 & 18' BW Outrage
My Theory: They are heavier because they have more insulation. More insulation leads to better thermal retention. Better thermal retention leads to better measured performance (ice stays solid longer). Look at the exterior dimmensions vs Capacity (how thick are the walls of the cooler?).

Having said that, They do look very well made and durrable. Also compare them to the Igloo Yukon line - 70 quart @ 35lbs and claims 7 day ice retention and $330.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Only issue with Pelican coolers is they dont mek them big enough. I need at least 120qt. preferably 165qt.

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
You are right that No cooler with ordinary camping use will keep ice for a week,

2 words....dry ice.

I use an 8lb block of dry ice in the bottom corner of my Coleman marine cooler. Empty a bag of loose ice over it and it will stay solid for a week. Only takes up 1/8-1/4 of the space but damn it stays cold. Beacuse I use a 165qt there is plenty of room for other stuff in the cooler.

Upvote 0

MJB

• Jun 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    sold it!!
    I have the yeti in 85 qt love it!

My buddie has the pelican it's much heavier and bulky but still a great cooler.

Upvote 0

salty nuts

• Jun 2, 2004
    Camarillo
    Name
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    It's Costco...buy it use it if you don't like it or it breaks take it back.

Upvote 0

stella marina

• Nov 21, 2011
    santa cruz
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
    I checked them out yesterday, they look pretty obsolete for storing your catch, but look great for keeping beer and food cold for a few days. they are sturdy and seem to be made of quality material, but I'm still on the fence, $300 to keep the beer cold, I think the old igloo works fine.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    But is it bear proof?

Yep, certified bear proof.

Pelican ProGear is proud to announce our bear resistant certification from the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee.

The purpose of this certification is to help keep bears safe and significantly reduce bear-human encounters by ensuring that bears do not have access and become conditioned to anthropogenic foods and other bear attractants that increase these encounters.

This certification involves intense impact and penetration testing by use of visual inspection, mechanical methods and captive Grizzly Bear testing over extended periods of time.

Information relative to the IGBC testing and certification program can be viewed at www.IGBConline.org.

http://www.pelicanprogear.com/product/Pelican-ProGear-35QT-Elite-Cooler/coolers

Upvote 0