yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Something to take into consideration if purchasing PE line.
While researching for a PE line conversion chart came across something interesting. Apparently there can be 2 different line diameters and 2 different .lb test ratings for the same PE line designation depending on wether the
PE line is 8 strand or 4 strand. Please see attach chart.
Learned something today. @ fishingtrends.net
Walt
PS: To convert mm to inches multiply the mm by .0394
eg. PE 2,,, .235 mm dia,,, 8 strand,,, ABS 45 lbs.
.235 mm X .0394 = .00925 inches in diameter.

Attachments

Last edited:

Explorer1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
Interesting...... seen lots of Braided line in South East Asia that emphasize on the packaging “WX8” and always wonder what that means. Most (not all) has a thinner diameter and higher breaking strength declared comparing to what I used to see eg; DaiwaBoatBraid, J Braid, power pro....etc

Reactions: Proteus

Proteus

Jun 19, 2020
SF
Name
Proteus
Boat
The charter with the best price.
Most (not all) has a thinner diameter and higher breaking strength declared comparing to what I used to see eg; DaiwaBoatBraid, J Braid, power pro....etc
I thought that about PE too when I first got into SPJ but did some research & comparison and found it not to be the case. I had to convert lbs to kilos & inches to mm, but I checked 3 different PE mfgs and they all were the exact same diameter as J-braid 8x at the same breaking strength.

It was 3-4 years ago sorry I don't have any links, but I think PE mfgs might be doing the snake oil routine cause if they are making it out of something different than braid mfgs, the US mfgs would have already caught on and be selling it as the next big thing.

Explorer1

Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
I thought that about PE too when I first got into SPJ but did some research & comparison and found it not to be the case. I had to convert lbs to kilos & inches to mm, but I checked 3 different PE mfgs and they all were the exact same diameter as J-braid 8x at the same breaking strength.
It was 3-4 years ago sorry I don't have any links, but I think PE mfgs might be doing the snake oil routine cause if they are making it out of something different than braid mfgs, the US mfgs would have already caught on and be selling it as the next big thing.
I find it rather confusing as well. I was trying to find one that will be thinner(same poundage) so I can drop jig to bottom faster. Local tackle shops I am Limited choice to brands of braided line so I was with Jbraid, Samurai and PowerPro. Past few years travelling Asia I saw others using different brand that they swear by and “on spec”, they are thinner than what I am using:oops:. Got me curious because it’s not tackle store trying to sell me some products....they were those I met on the boat fishing so I did shopped for them and compare a few Specs..... I ended up not buying because of
1) the cost of them are not cheap(I’m cheap:p)
2) not sure if what they stated is true.

- Jbraid MultiColor ~ 20lbs (0.23mm)
- Samurai ~~~~~~~~ 20lbs (0.22mm)
- Tokayo PE2 ~~~~~~19kg= 41lbs (0.24mm)
- JM Gangster ~~~~~ 35lbs (0.22mm)
- Ultra Jig Man ~~~~~ 33lbs (0.235mm)

17D8F17D-A7E3-408B-8A71-3110825C3953.jpeg

4E495FA2-82A5-494D-A592-430E8629A911.jpeg

DB1D64D5-8F38-4B8D-8959-B38E4F570A85.jpeg

9DBDF16E-974E-4FDA-9C52-3CB49FE8EDAF.jpeg

38B6E6BB-1E05-4FB0-9003-BB0470DF25F5.jpeg

Proteus

Jun 19, 2020
SF
Name
Proteus
Boat
The charter with the best price.
I find it rather confusing as well. I was trying to find one that will be thinner(same poundage) so I can drop jig to bottom faster. Local tackle shops I am Limited choice to brands of braided line so I was with Jbraid, Samurai and PowerPro. Past few years travelling Asia I saw others using different brand that they swear by and “on spec”, they are thinner than what I am using:oops:. Got me curious because it’s not tackle store trying to sell me some products....they were those I met on the boat fishing so I did shopped for them and compare a few Specs..... I ended up not buying because of
1) the cost of them are not cheap(I’m cheap:p)
2) not sure if what they stated is true.

- Jbraid MultiColor ~ 20lbs (0.23mm)
- Samurai ~~~~~~~~ 20lbs (0.22mm)
- Tokayo PE2 ~~~~~~19kg= 41lbs (0.24mm)
- JM Gangster ~~~~~ 35lbs (0.22mm)
- Ultra Jig Man ~~~~~ 33lbs (0.235mm)

View attachment 1246056

View attachment 1246057

View attachment 1246058

View attachment 1246059

View attachment 1246060
.... and we're talking tenths & hundredths of a mm here. I don't think differences that small in diameter is even going to effect drop time that much. It's not like going from mono to braid.

Reactions: Explorer1

Explorer1

Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
And one more interesting fact I found and it’s hard to believe. I bought these in Hong Kong few years back but have yet to try them. It’s a reputable Daiwa store so shouldn’t be fake.
80lbs (0.35mm) vs my Samurai I am using 70lbs (0.40mm) :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

61AE4707-88C2-497C-8D87-CC78C4F95CC5.jpeg

DA359FE7-22C0-4475-B26C-0D3E4F1A3CEC.jpeg

Last edited:

Explorer1

Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
.... and we're talking tenths & hundredths of a mm here. I don't think differences that small in diameter is even going to effect drop time that much. It's not like going from mono to braid.
Totally agree but that will give an another excuse to buy :appl: LOL :lux::lux:

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
The Japanese home market products are extremely interesting. Most of the really cool stuff never makes it here. At least in any quantity.
I spent a day out on a sport boat a couple of years ago with a couple of young Japanese anglers. They had some very nice home market gear with them. No one else on the boat was talking with them but when I expressed an interest they really lit up. I got to put my hands on some really high end gear that day. It is so much more refined than what is sold here. What I took away from that exposure is that home market gear is much more detail oriented than the casual angler here could possibly appreciate.

I have made it a point since that day to look a little harder at these small details. Things like line diameter can make a real difference. I have 20# powerpro on one of my SPJ set ups and it gets down in a hurry. Took a few trips to get used to it though .....man is it fine.
Jeff

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
And one more interesting fact I found and it’s hard to believe. I bought these in Hong Kong few years back but have yet to try them. It’s a reputable Daiwa store so shouldn’t be fake.
80lbs (0.35mm) vs my Samurai I am using 70lbs (0.44mm) :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

View attachment 1246061

View attachment 1246062
Thanks for your post Mr. Explorer1
Here in lies a prime example of the complete lack of manufacturing standards in the fishing equipment industry. Especially the line manufactures. In my possession are 4 spools of fluorocarbon labled 20# test however all 4 have different diameters
.014, .015, .016 and .017. Line manufactures can label their lines any # test and diameter they wish.. The Samurai probably has significant over test while the J Braid is closer to an IGFA rated line. That is why it is best to purchase all fishing lines by diameter not labeled line test.

Would personally not go thinner then PE 1.5 unless the targets are over 30# and or dropping over 150 meters. The line below looks like a very good choice, it is 8 strand and has 36 pics which makes for a high quality quiet braid with excellent tensile strength.
Walt

DB1D64D5-8F38-4B8D-8959-B38E4F570A85.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Explorer1

Explorer1

Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
Would personally not go thinner then PE 1.5 unless the targets are over 30# and or dropping over 150 meters. The line below looks like a very good choice, it is 8 strand and has 36 pics which makes for a high quality quiet braid with excellent tensile strength.
Walt
I was fishing next to the guy, we were using the same model jig and model rod but different reel. He was using this WX8 (0.36mm) and I was using Samurai (0.40mm). At 130 meters, his jig always hit the bottom before me. So if it’s not the reel, the line is the difference.

whatever this 8Strand36 is I have no idea but they did have a video that shows better abrasion resistance vs other braid so who knows?