thebottomfish

Mar 5, 2013
nj
Name
Garret
Boat
one day
Long time lurker, first time poster
Located on the East Coast where we "cast" at tuna with spinning gear, have a Saragosa 14000sw that I'm looking to pair up with a popping/stickbait rod and the Okuma PCH rods caught my eye.
I have 6 Makairas and they have been nothing but a dream to fish with, so I wanted to give Okuma rods a shot.
I have a jx raptor on a stingo jigging rod (small defunct east coast co) so don't shame me too much for using spinning tackle!

Looking for some advice on what PCH rods to narrow down my search, under 100# tuna usually 60-70# yft, longer to cast, but not too light a tip to work a popper
Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

thebottomfish

Mar 5, 2013
nj
Name
Garret
Boat
one day
I feel like an idiot because I just saw the thread about the Hawaiian popping rods further down the page and that's exactly what I'm looking for, not sure how to delete a thread sorry guys!

Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
I'll be a bigger idiot.. The Hawaiian is not the pch correct? Two different rods were talking about here? I'm looking for a 50# popping rod that can cast 80-100g jigs far as possible.

Reactions: thebottomfish
Upvote 0

thebottomfish

Mar 5, 2013
nj
Name
Garret
Boat
one day
Haha two different rods yes, I think the mh hawaiian would be something we're both looking for, the heavy seems like it's made for strictly larger poppers...I know you said jigs but I would not use the Hawaiian popping rods for jigs. I'm just figuring you meant 80-100g poppers/stickbaits

Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
Yeah I want it to throw 80-100g coltsnipers to foamers. Prolly some small poppers /stickbaits too but mainly coltsnipers, they have been the hot ticket I hear. I have heavier popping rods, I want something light that I can really get as much distance as possible. I'm not looking to land giants with it either, scoolie tuna, maybe up to 80lbs but mostly 40-60lbs.

Upvote 0