fyermn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
I posted this on the Okuma fishing forum, but decided to post it here also.

I am looking at the PCH 801XH rod. Since I live in Utah, I am unable to go to a store to see the rod. I want to use it for throwing Wahoo Bombs and jigs. I plan on using a Avet HXJ 5/2 Raptor reel. My question is: Is the PCH 801XH a rod that would work for throwing bombs and jigs, or is mostly a bait rod? For the rod, the price is right.

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
Apr 1, 2019
San Diego
Name
Christian
Boat
14ft Valco
Those PCH's are more made for bait and vertical jigging, not throwing. Certainly capable of throwing jigs, but if this is a designated jig throwing rod I think you could find far better for not much more money. For the price you can't beat em, but they aren't jig throwers, that's for sure. Especially paired with that raptor. Its like buying a top of the line sports car and putting regular road tires on it, you know?

kimbo

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 24, 2008
orange county
Name
Batman
Boat
21' cabo
I use that rod with a tesoro 10 or komodo 471 for coltsnipers. Works well for heavier jigs.

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Well, there's this snippet from a guy who should know, from some time ago (search "Wahoo Gear" thread title):

"In my Opinion, Wahoo Bomb or Jig rigs are not required to be as sophisticated as you might think..No doubt having a perfect tool for a specific task is great but not everyone can afford such luxuries. Casting Artificial lures for Skinnies usually weigh in somewhere between 4 and 7 ounces with most bombs at around 5 ounces. A 125 Gram Raider is a bit under 4.5 ounces.. A 150 G (The newer 200 sized Raider lights) are a bit over 5 1/4 ounces while a 200 Gram jig is a bit over 7 ounces which makes casting them relatively easy. Just as importantly, the angler rarely needs to cast more than about 50 or 60 yds away from the boat as it is very easy to over throw the bite. Quite often, the bite is actually closer to 20 or 30 yds., or less, but the artificial lures needs time to sink so a bit of extra distance away from the boat allows for this. Thus, the ability to appropriately cast a Wahoo specific lure is relatively easy and can be done with most any rig rated for 30 - 60 pound test or higher (not 30 pound rather the rod is individually noted by the manufacturer as being appropriate for 30 - 60# usage)."

I find the bit about a long cast not being necessary quite heartening... since most of my casts don't go much past 50 yds anyway!