PCH Custom - Any Fred Hall Deals?

Discussion in 'Okuma Fishing Tackle' started by HoxFish, Feb 12, 2018.

1. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Okuma TESORO 10S or 12S

2. gerkom

gerkom Newbie

Name:
    Gerry Kompleski
    Boat:
    Skipjack 262 - Volvo Penta D4-260 Diesel
    My ignorance is going to show with my answer but I've got to start somewhere. (When I was younger I had boats and fished. I got married. Had a family. Now retired and my wife let me buy the little Skipjack. I am in the process of trying to remember how it was done but a lot has changed.)

A friend got this rod for me when I recently bought my Skipjack from an equipment source of his. I then bought it from him. He is letting me use an extra bait stick rod. I need to complete my quiver from here.

I respect his judgement on quality but I really don't know what it is specifically for. It is very stiff for a 9 foot rod from my perspective so I am assuming larger non-trolling fishing.

I would like to match a reel that is complementary to the rod. I do not have that knowledge right now so I am asking for some reels that you think I should check out.

What am I going to be using this on? Tuna? It's not a live bait rod. Jig stick?

3. HoxFish

HoxFish Fam crest-My Lure is True

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Moo
    At 9' and XH, it's meant to be a jig stick IMO. However, if so inclined, you could still use it as a bait stick. Tip isn't soft enough to be as kind on your cast, but perhaps you gain distance casting out vs a 6.5 or 7' bait rod. Get ready to fight a bit longer due to less leverage on the fish with the longer rod.

As far as reel recommendations go, it will be dependent upon budget and/or brand and drag (star or lever) preferences. Rexor gave you star drag reels which match the brand of rod. New to market, so up to date tech wise. More expensive than others, but good warranty and a trusted manufacturer now.

I like Penn's line of Fathoms and have several, including a 25N star drag for surface jigs. Trusted line of reels that don't break the bank. You could also go the used route, and find a reel here in the classifieds. A lot of guys are high on the Fathoms, and were high on the Okuma 10s and 12s Cedros star drags (small sample size btw, there are many more). Then again, some may vote for say a used Avet JX 6/3. I had no issues casting a bait or jig with mine. Long story short, it depends on your casting skills, your drag preference, usage scenario, budget, and brand preference.

Lastly, there have been so many threads about star vs lever drags for casting, bait fishing, and jig fishing that if you did a search, you'd have no problems reading up on the plethora of insights and opinions on the subject.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on. In the meantime, here's something to wet your whistle...https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/fathom-star-or-lever-drag.581785/

4. mowitlow

mowitlow Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    21 ft. Mastercraft
    i just bought one at fred hall LB in turners booth for $170
    i got the PCH C-801MH for throwing iron.
    cant wait to give it a try!

5. gerkom

gerkom Newbie

Name:
    Gerry Kompleski
    Boat:
    Skipjack 262 - Volvo Penta D4-260 Diesel
    Thanks for all of the feedback. So, it's kinda like Ford, Chevy, Dodge on trucks. Everyone has their preference but they're all good?

I like the idea of a two speed but is that acceptable for casting?

Wow, those Avet's are beautiful! I like the look of the Shimano's also.

I read the thread on star vs lever. I had Shimano reels 30+ that were lever/two speed that I liked. But they were big reels. I see that today's reels are far superior, and smaller.

Budget - Because of my age everything I buy I will never have to buy again so I want to buy-it-right the first time.

Now that I've determined that it is a jig stick I am looking forward to trying this one also. $170 was a great price. (I was there at the show but it was overwhelming with all of the choices and new technology to me)

I am going window shopping today to physically see all of these.

Once again thank for all of the subject matter expertise.(Naturally my next questions will be about line. So many new technologies.)

Gerry K.