surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Welcome to BD, Trent! Post away, tell it like you see it, don't worry about possible snarky comments from the peanut gallery. The vast majority of BD people are righteous, and smile and enjoy the posts.

Reactions: Trent Blue
    Upvote 0

JamesZ

Jun 25, 2018
    Montana
    Name
    James Zachary
    Boat
    Kenner 23
    Shape is wrong. Google it.
    Cool catch anyways!
    Yeah. They forget that Yellowtail are Jack's. (Half the guys that's been fishing a year or two actually think they're tuna) Look at the tail. Does it have a hard medium deep forked tail? Does its face look like a pelagic fish? Nope to both. Some kind of croaker. Has a croaker tail and mouth. I mean it doesn't even slightly resemble a Yellowtail. theres a picture up there ^^^ that's never seen a Yellowtail before. Gorgeous even at "4 🙂

Reactions: jeffkaiser
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    If you ever catch a sablefish put it in the bait tank...and keep your eyes peeled for a swordie around...be ready with a heavy leader and heavy tackle...Sable are one of their favorite foods

Upvote 0

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    I have swam on kelps with baby yellowtail. They actually have bars on their side when they are say 4" long. Looks like a sablefish, but I am not sure. Kelps are amazing. Those teeny little brown fish are juvenile rockfish, many are splitnose rockfish that live way deep. There are also many juvenile treefish, which are found shallow. They will "drop out" late in the summer. On a slow day, jump on a paddie with a mask and snorkel. Lotsa fun

Upvote 0

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    Believe it or not, sablefish, aka black cod, are a valuable market fish. There is a deep water hook and line fishery which is heavily regulated. They also target thorny heads, which are similar to rockfish. Out here, they are deep, like 1000 ft Plus deep. Farther north they are much shallower.

I concur on the swordfish bait, but I think you would want to deep drop. Maybe buy one at a fish market. Another good swordfish bait would be hake. They are often found in swordfish stomachs. Hake is soft and is usually discarded as there is no market value. I have caught both out here before the depth restrictions, but real deep.

Reactions: senorwaffles
    Upvote 0