FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Damn Mike, very very nice Halibut, great job, congratulations!!!

Upvote 0

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
Aug 8, 2008
Newport
Name
Scott
Boat
21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
Incredible bud!

Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
Thanks for the kind replies. The rod is a Tica HLHB96ML2C and I added 5 inches to the butt end. The reel is a Abu 5500cs pro rocket with custom bearings. The reel is known for a long casting reel and it works awesome. I can cast much farther than what I could when I used spinning gear. Long casts are great but this fish as with most halibut I catch is the surf was no more than 10 yards from shore. I think it is very important not to wade in too much(scares those close fish away) and fish whatever lure your using right up to your feet.
Used to surf fish them with a scampi or we surf fished barricuda with a hopskin jig , my best halibut catch was 34# caught on the surface in the shipping lanes drifting for sharks in like 2000’ of water ?? Must have been migrating or something

Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0

Bhoff

Almost A Member
Aug 3, 2018
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
Robalo
Dude very nice fish! That’s unbelievable! What knot did you use for the weight for it not to break off with 8lb line? Or was it a lighter weight?

Upvote 0

max

Jul 22, 2005
la
Name
michael
Boat
23 maycraft max
I use a 1/2 oz. drop shot sinker. Its also important to have a sinker that can spin or you can get some bad line twisting when using the drop shot in the surf. Im also a big believer in scent on lures in the surf. A buddy of mine and myself several years back did an experiment with scent in the surf and it was clear to us it made a difference .

Reactions: Bhoff and Cubeye
Upvote 0

openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Napa
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Parker 2820
    Best part is he didn't have to shell out $60,000+ for a boat....$350 a month for a slip, insurance etc etc.
    Nice catch bro:lux:

1605485_7b7bbeb3e834600e1b7c491e81490c79.jpeg

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

Bhoff

Almost A Member
    Aug 3, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Robalo
    I use a 1/2 oz. drop shot sinker. Its also important to have a sinker that can spin or you can get some bad line twisting when using the drop shot in the surf. Im also a big believer in scent on lures in the surf. A buddy of mine and myself several years back did an experiment with scent in the surf and it was clear to us it made a difference .

that makes sense! Thank you man I appreciate the detailed response. Again, stellar catch there!!

Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    What size would you use? 4".....5"? What type of hook?

I use VMC heavy duty swim bait hooks like these. You can get them weighted or unweighted. If you’re drop-shotting you want unweighted.

For slug or fluke size, between 4” and 7” depending on the location I’m fishing, and the setup I’m using. Match the hook size to the swim bait. You want the end result to look something like this green slug I have here. Deadly in the surf. When you slack the line off the action is unmatchable by any other technique and bait. When you give it a try, wind it up to your feet in clear water, slack off the line and watch it work itself with the waves coming in and sucking back out.

Also, instead of tying the traditional palomar knot with a long tag for your dropshot knot, the in-line hooks are great because you can tie two separate strong knots on the hook. Top knot on the eye of the hook to your mainline, and bottom knot to swivel with weight.

F9889C72-622F-47CF-A2DF-FAD789017B1B.jpeg 12D26A47-3914-4742-B4D6-ED529B49E0A9.jpeg

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I use VMC heavy duty swim bait hooks like these. You can get them weighted or unweighted. If you’re drop-shotting you want unweighted.

For slug or fluke size, between 4” and 7” depending on the location I’m fishing, and the setup I’m using. Match the hook size to the swim bait. You want the end result to look something like this green slug I have here. Deadly in the surf. When you slack the line off the action is unmatchable by any other technique and bait. When you give it a try, wind it up to your feet in clear water, slack off the line and watch it work itself with the waves coming in and sucking back out.

Also, instead of tying the traditional palomar knot with a long tag for your dropshot knot, the in-line hooks are great because you can tie two separate strong knots on the hook. Top knot on the eye of the hook to your mainline, and bottom knot to swivel with weight.

View attachment 1095798 View attachment 1095799
    Thank you for your detailed description of your rigging. It's very much appreciated.

I normally use a spoon like a Krocodile or a jerk bait like a Lucky Craft. They work well for halibut and surf perch. Do you think the Zoom will also do well for the surf perch?

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    I’ve caught croaker on them. I’m sure perch would eat them too. If you are targeting the perch more specifically maybe a regular drop shot setup and a smaller fluke would make sense as I’m not sure a perch will get hooked on that weedless hook

Upvote 0

robaire

Angler
    Jul 22, 2013
    Menifee, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    n/a
    That's a sweet flatty Bro!
    Can I ask how long the fish was?
    I've caught thirtys in the surf, on 8-10 lb line as well as numerous sharks up to 60" on the same line.
    Those asking, the waves can be a big help but if the ground is steep or rocky it will make it harder to land.

Again, great fish in the surf.

Robert
    <><

Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    Thank you for your detailed description of your rigging. It's very much appreciated.

I normally use a spoon like a Krocodile or a jerk bait like a Lucky Craft. They work well for halibut and surf perch. Do you think the Zoom will also do well for the surf perch?

Yes but you’d have to size down accordingly. Fluke and hook size, Which will also work for halibut but I like targeting halibut specifically most of the time which is why I opt for a bigger bait. Less by catch.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    Congrats! That's a nice one. Did you happen to measure the length?

Actually, not plus wave. You use the waves in your favor.

Last time I checked - there are no "waves" in long beach. The break wall blocks them all. Fishing long beach from the "surf" is more like fishing the bay.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    Congrats! That's a nice one. Did you happen to measure the length?

Last time I checked - there are no "waves" in long beach. The break wall blocks them all. Fishing long beach from the "surf" is more like fishing the bay.
    It’s normally not breaking waves like most beaches but there can be a decent shorepound in the outer harbor, especially on south swells. It can actually even get decent surfable waves on hurricane swells with the right angle. I try my best to use it as a tool on light line, but it’s not always a success.

Upvote 0