Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Finally knocked a couple off the bucket list !! First time overnighting on my Cabo followed up by finally catching a barn door.
I've twice blown the gaff on two of the largest halibut I've ever seen. As wide as my outstretched arms. Not once but twice. Hard time sleeping both nights.
Other than that, only 2 22"er's and some shorts EVER.
Spent a rough night solo last Friday then headed out in search of early sat morning. Had a hard time scratching bait, maybe 10 pieces, small to med spanish macs. After a couple hours on the drift here and there. POW !! fish on !! On board with a 30"er. This time I remembered to hit the mark. Oh yeah. 40 minutes later and it's #2 at 31+ inches. At this point I'm done. Happy as a pig in the poke. Clear the deck for departure and head in. Just as I'm motoring away from the scene of the crime, I see a bait ball and what I think could be WSB marks. What the heck, last two, previously used baits. Put one on a dropper loop and flyline the other. Two shakes later and I'm on again on the dropper. Almost to color and I realize I can't reach the gaff. As I lean over to grab it, line slackens on the return to the rail and she's gone. Shit. Now I;m shaking again. Slowly reel in the flylined absolutely last bait. Gently transfer to the dropper. Down she goes. This time I see the rod twitch and take it out of the holder. All others hooked while in the holder. She loads up big time. Makes 4 or 5 blistering runs. This time I do everything right. Gaff shot hits a gill, over the rail she comes, note to self gaff is slippery down low, needs another grip.,blood is everywhere, I'm hooting and hollering', A true kodak moment. Motor over to my buddy for a pic. And head for the barn. Super glad I put in a new WD pump.
Big girl went 42" and 33#'s on the Fish and Game checker guys scale. Didn't bother to weight the other 2 30" plus girls.
3 halibut dressed out to 29#'s of meat. Ate some, froze a little and made a lot of happy friend and neighbors.
Glad to finally up my game and looking forward to my next overnight run, solo or not.
Oh yeah, finally past the break in period on the new motor. Fuel numbers are insane,
Dump the clutch and she freakin flies.

IMG_2030.jpg IMG_2032.jpg IMG_2025.jpg IMG_2084.jpg IMG_2037.jpg jpeg-imag.jpg

Upvote 0

CardShark

Almost A Member
Mar 6, 2015
Ventura, CA
Name
Mario
Boat
Malibu Stealth 12 Kayak
Solid fish, well done :appl:

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
It dont get any better. Great story and welcome to the 30pound club.

Reactions: ol' salt
Upvote 0

salty nuts

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 2, 2004
    Camarillo
    Name
    Tim Mohawk
    Boat
    25 Davis Rockharbor Volvo D4-260 TailChaser
    Beautiful fish! Way to go!

Ice butts white side up...

Upvote 0

jsl

Oct 8, 2005
    Ontario
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    none
    Finally knocked a couple off the bucket list !! First time overnighting on my Cabo followed up by finally catching a barn door.
    I've twice blown the gaff on two of the largest halibut I've ever seen. As wide as my outstretched arms. Not once but twice. Hard time sleeping both nights.
    Other than that, only 2 22"er's and some shorts EVER.
    Spent a rough night solo last Friday then headed out in search of early sat morning. Had a hard time scratching bait, maybe 10 pieces, small to med spanish macs. After a couple hours on the drift here and there. POW !! fish on !! On board with a 30"er. This time I remembered to hit the mark. Oh yeah. 40 minutes later and it's #2 at 31+ inches. At this point I'm done. Happy as a pig in the poke. Clear the deck for departure and head in. Just as I'm motoring away from the scene of the crime, I see a bait ball and what I think could be WSB marks. What the heck, last two, previously used baits. Put one on a dropper loop and flyline the other. Two shakes later and I'm on again on the dropper. Almost to color and I realize I can't reach the gaff. As I lean over to grab it, line slackens on the return to the rail and she's gone. Shit. Now I;m shaking again. Slowly reel in the flylined absolutely last bait. Gently transfer to the dropper. Down she goes. This time I see the rod twitch and take it out of the holder. All others hooked while in the holder. She loads up big time. Makes 4 or 5 blistering runs. This time I do everything right. Gaff shot hits a gill, over the rail she comes, note to self gaff is slippery down low, needs another grip.,blood is everywhere, I'm hooting and hollering', A true kodak moment. Motor over to my buddy for a pic. And head for the barn. Super glad I put in a new WD pump.
    Big girl went 42" and 33#'s on the Fish and Game checker guys scale. Didn't bother to weight the other 2 30" plus girls.
    3 halibut dressed out to 29#'s of meat. Ate some, froze a little and made a lot of happy friend and neighbors.
    Glad to finally up my game and looking forward to my next overnight run, solo or not.
    Oh yeah, finally past the break in period on the new motor. Fuel numbers are insane,
    Dump the clutch and she freakin flies.

View attachment 1034594 View attachment 1034595 View attachment 1034596 View attachment 1034597 View attachment 1034598 View attachment 1034599

Wtg!! Great report

Scott

Upvote 0

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
    Aug 7, 2008
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
    Just an FYI, those fish and game representatives are not our friends. I was told by one of them that the majority of their information/data collection is to decrease limits and increase closures.

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
    Jul 3, 2012
    Carpinteria
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
    Hoping to repeat tonight but looks like Fathers Day is gonna get in the way of my overnight plans. Two of my boys are in a decathlon both days this weekend.
    I'll remember to ice the next butts white side up.
    I'm still getting cards and thank you gifts from all the happy neighbors I made last week.
    Were gonna need a better vacuum sealer though ha ha .
    And a lot more bags.....

Upvote 0

J Woodman

I know nothing
    Dec 8, 2006
    Ventura
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
    Nicely done, Paul. Not many come home with 3 nice butts. We used to be friends! Ha. I guess I'll just have to wait until next time.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Great job, persistence pays off Paul, congratulations!

Reactions: Carpfisher
    Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Just an FYI, those fish and game representatives are not our friends. I was told by one of them that the majority of their information/data collection is to decrease limits and increase closures.
    Just tell them there are plenty of fish and that you practice Catch & Release 95% of the time.

Upvote 0

Cheeseburger Killer

Beloved Son
    Mar 27, 2018
    So Very Cal
    Name
    Kent
    Boat
    Selling It...
    To the guys slumming DFG: None of us like limits or closures, but the truth is they do improve our fish stocks. You really don’t think the return of tanker WSB is just a happy coincidence, do you? Of course, the real problem is commercial overfishing, but that’s another conversation entirely...

Upvote 0