Paying the Tip?

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
I’m a bit of a planer so I have an envelope with: balance of the trip, jackpot, parking cash, and tip ready at the dock. After settling up and on the boat I have cash for a tip. Many a time I witnessed the distribution of cash to the crew. It is a wad of cash as it should be. I guess checks go to the skipper with cash distributed to the crew, cook etc.

Cash is king
Cash is king for sure. Crew works so hard so long for so little, especially with this bluefin bite going on.

My thinking is checks get taxed while cash does not. I hope the government does not come in and mandate automatic taxing tips @ 15% rate even if customer gives less. They did this in the restaurant industry.

So with a long range boat, I feel fine with the cash.

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
If you pay with a check, do not make it payable to the name of the boat. If you do, then it is income to the boat and taxable to the owner of the boat. Make the check out to "CASH" and then it can be cashed at the bank by the captain and is not part of any income.

Upvote 0

JTE

Nov 20, 2017
Florida
Name
Jim
Boat
18' Grizzly
What's with all this crap, ways to avoid it being "taxable" ????? I worked a salaried job my entire working life and always paid my "fair share" of taxes. How the hell do you people expect to get schools, roads etc. built and have your social security, medicare, police force, fire dept funded????? My opinion - Everybody who makes money in this country should pay their "fair share" in taxes, if they don't, well I won't say what I think about that, for fear of offending some of you (not that that would bother me much).

Reactions: Lake

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    What's with all this crap, ways to avoid it being "taxable" ????? I worked a salaried job my entire working life and always paid my "fair share" of taxes. How the hell do you people expect to get schools, roads etc. built and have your social security, medicare, police force, fire dept funded????? My opinion - Everybody who makes money in this country should pay their "fair share" in taxes, if they don't, well I won't say what I think about that, for fear of offending some of you (not that that would bother me much).
    Tell Trump that! Why pay taxes if you have to??? So our tax money goes to Illegal immigrants and every thing else like free medical, etc!!! And for all the people that pay for this from our taxes, What do we get back in return?? At the least the government should give all the tax payers a jar of vaseline to ease the pain.

UCT

Jul 14, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    just coastin
    Just to clarify, I tip only the jackpot if it is 25 percent or more of trip cost. If less than 25 percent I keep the jackpot and write a check. I rarely win the jackpot on 8 plus day trips which I do once or twice a year but win at a good clip on 1 and 1.5 day trips. Just lucky I guess because I don't claim to be more than an average fisherman but I am a good patent attorney in the field of microbiology and pharmaceuticals.

Upvote 0