Paying my dues and why it would be nice to have a (big) two speed reel

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Congratulations on your catch- well earned! You will remember it for a long time. Spectra backing allows you to use a top shot of heavier mono. I am not an expert with the Penn Senators, but you may be able to add some drag washers to get a little more drag. But at some point you will reach the strength of your reel's limiting component. And you can't convert it to a two speed reel. Save your money and upgrade your tackle as you can. You should be able to swap your spectra when you do.

surftout

May 28, 2009
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Trophy
Great job, My first reels were 9/0's. Hooked a marlin on the point and smoked the reel. I went into debt the following day and bought 2 speed gold reels.

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Chee Hoo! Right on Randy! Well deserved! Been looking for your posts for a while since I got the new boat and missed your post! I had Senators too. Its great to have a Marc to hand line the fish. ( The old school two-speed! ) I wish you many more this season! Hope you son gets to go with you and catch another one.

BIG GAME 217

Jun 22, 2008
guam
Name
glen
Boat
18 Mckee craft pulse
Dont under estimate a 9/0 reel my first marlin which was 325lbs was caught on one. I fought it for 2hrs but got it in. And yes my arms felt like falling off for a couple days!

shinchan

Making other fishermen look good....
Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Congrats on the nice one! Time for a bigger boat and some gold reels :)
Thanks, I'm for both but there's this little problem called the wife....LOL

:notworthyon a 9/0 senator
Thanks, maybe it's the last time I try for big fish with those reels...

Randy, congrats on that beast, that was a long battle but you came out on top. I run senators so I know how it is to earn that fish.
Thanks Darren, I couldn't believe how long it was taking but I wasn't going to give up so either the gear would fail or the fish would tire 'cause I waited too long to get this chance!

Randy,
How fricken cool is that, i am so happy for you. The first 4 years I owned the Kai'Io (former boat) that was all i had, 9-0's: don't ever under estimate them, but you are right low gear sure would have been nice. Nice lookin' ahi!!!

Cheers
Pat
Thanks Pat, I don't know how you do it solo and standup too! Now when I see pics of your ahis I can better appreciate how hard it is to find and pull them in, and you do it nearly every month of the year! Much respect to you!

You got em! That is all that matters, solo too, even harder. Taste extra good that one!!!!
Thanks Jay and yup, went through a full range of recipes last night from sashimi to negitorodon to temaki sushi to poke... Good thing had a bunch of friends over to help cut and eat some fish!

That's epic battle and an awesome solo catch! Congrats!
Thanks Randy, I hope I leaned a little from this one so I can cut the fighting time down a bit...

Randy,
Nice solo job on that ahi! That is truely a battle on a 9/0 senator. I love it when us small boat guys can bring in those beast. Congratulations!
Thanks Russ, I have your example to follow and you set the bar high!

Good going!
Thanks Jeff

Nice fish Randy. Two hour 45 minutes, makes me tired just thinking about it. Bet that fish was real tired too.
Thanks Steven, I was planning on 1/2 hr but the fish had other plans. The hardest part was pulling it in the boat, I just couldn't do it for a while and was worried that the tax collector would show up at any time and mess up my day with all the blood in the water... BTW, congrats on kicking your monkey off too!!!

wisebob

Sep 19, 2009
honolulu, hi
Name
bob
Boat
smallsize kine
Congratulations Randy. How was the quality of the meat? Was it burnt or good near the center? I've read some theories that a longer fight/time fish is in the water actually gives you less burning.

Also, is that you (young guy) in the picture?

bob

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Randy, congratulations on the nice ahi! Yep - a two speed reel helps big time!
Thanks Jimmy!

Awesome fish and epic battle. Way to represent us small boat guys.
Thanks Luke, I'm still hurting from the fight...

Congratulations. That is an awesome catch on any tackle much less a 9/0. My arms cramped up just reading about it.
Thanks Scott, my cranking arm(right) and "line pulling" hand (left) were cramped off and on throughout the fight- I tried to switch it up mid-fight but that made it worse because then both arms and hands were about to cramp up as well and then where would I be....

Randy, congratulations on an epic battle with a 9/0. Like others said, time to get the gold reels!
Thanks Brian, you're right, time to invest wisely...

Your persistence paid off...Great looking fish!!!
Thanks Mike

Randy, awesome job, surprised the 9/0 held up!
Thanks Brian, yeah I'm afraid to open up that reel, it probably looks like goo in there...

Great story and with a great ending!

Congrats Randy.
Thanks Jesse

Unreal. Probably a pretty fun fight even though it seemed forever. Fish must have tasted twice as good after that fight.
Thanks Jeff, It was fun when I hooked up but as far as the fight I can say I was tense the whole time waiting for something to give or the hook to shake off. And yes, it tastes great today and will this week and the next....LOL

Thanks Neil

If it aint broke dont fix it!!!! J/k Nice catch.
Thanks Russell

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Congrats on your battle, you definitely earned that fish!
Thanks Jeff

I like your style!!! Congrats!
Thanks Tommy, no real style, just trying to catch with what I got...

Congratulations on your catch- well earned! You will remember it for a long time. Spectra backing allows you to use a top shot of heavier mono. I am not an expert with the Penn Senators, but you may be able to add some drag washers to get a little more drag. But at some point you will reach the strength of your reel's limiting component. And you can't convert it to a two speed reel. Save your money and upgrade your tackle as you can. You should be able to swap your spectra when you do.
Thanks Chuck, yeah I need to get some real two speed reels and save the spectra to use for bottom fishing...

Great job, My first reels were 9/0's. Hooked a marlin on the point and smoked the reel. I went into debt the following day and bought 2 speed gold reels.
Thanks Steve, yup I'd get some 2 speeds in heartbeat but I'm still paying off the boat and then there's the wife....:hali_parkutuli:

Chee Hoo! Right on Randy! Well deserved! Been looking for your posts for a while since I got the new boat and missed your post! I had Senators too. Its great to have a Marc to hand line the fish. ( The old school two-speed! ) I wish you many more this season! Hope you son gets to go with you and catch another one.
Thanks Jason, maybe I need a "Marc" too! Cheaper than a real two speed, right? JK. My younger son was supposed to go with me but couldn't wake up- he's still a little mad at me now....but we still have the rest of the summer so I can get him hooked up to something sooner or later...

Dont under estimate a 9/0 reel my first marlin which was 325lbs was caught on one. I fought it for 2hrs but got it in. And yes my arms felt like falling off for a couple days!
Thanks and I'm with ya on the arms....

Congratulations Randy. How was the quality of the meat? Was it burnt or good near the center? I've read some theories that a longer fight/time fish is in the water actually gives you less burning.

Also, is that you (young guy) in the picture?

bob
Thanks Bob, no that munchkin is Kai, my youngest. The meat was great, surprisingly enough, except for the area where I got it with the bangstick- I aimed for the head but it kicked at the last second so I nailed it right by the pectoral fin. Still it stopped the fish cold, enough time to get 2 gaffs in it...

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Thanks Chuck, yeah I need to get some real two speed reels and save the spectra to use for bottom fishing...

You can use spectra backing on a two speed reel and then use a heavier top shot. I fish my 50s with 600 yards of 130# spectra and 400 yards of 80# mono top shots. I fish my 80s with 600 yards of 200# spectra and 400 yards of 130# mono top shots. The modern reels are built strongly enough to accommodate the additional drag, so there is no issue with fishing them with the heavier line. The spectra will last much longer than the mono, so it is easier and less expensive to replace the top shot of mono as required. Something to consider.

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Right on! Good to see one for one of the small boats. Still waiting on mine. Got a good size shibi on my 14' Livingston and it made the boat feel small. I can imagine what a fish like yours would be like. Be safe and aloha no

pfont

no mo boat
Jul 6, 2010
mililani
Name
peter fontanilla
Boat
17' Arima Sea Chaser-"kiana" - SOLD on 9/16/2016
WTG randy .... your determination paid off ... congrats on your wicked tuna ... good to hear whenever a small boat catches the big gorillas ... i still run 9/O's & 12/O's love the sound of the ratchet when hanapaa!

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Randy, I have a couple of reels if you are interested in either: 14/0 or Penn 80 VSW. Let me know if you are interested...

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
That there is a NICE fish!

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Thats a big buggah! Congratulations!
Thanks Todd

You can use spectra backing on a two speed reel and then use a heavier top shot. I fish my 50s with 600 yards of 130# spectra and 400 yards of 80# mono top shots. I fish my 80s with 600 yards of 200# spectra and 400 yards of 130# mono top shots. The modern reels are built strongly enough to accommodate the additional drag, so there is no issue with fishing them with the heavier line. The spectra will last much longer than the mono, so it is easier and less expensive to replace the top shot of mono as required. Something to consider.
Thanks Chuck, that is already the setup I have on the 9/0's with 500 yards 150lb spectra backing and 300 yards 80lb line on top, maybe I'll use less spectra and put 100lb line so I can put more pressure on the fish when I upgrade to the shiny reels...

Right on! Good to see one for one of the small boats. Still waiting on mine. Got a good size shibi on my 14' Livingston and it made the boat feel small. I can imagine what a fish like yours would be like. Be safe and aloha no
Thanks Kalani, you're right it took the whole area from the bench seat to the transom. Looks like I need to get a pulley system and some kind of fabricated "slide" from the transom to the front to move the fish so I can balance out the boat next time...Hope to see you out there and see pics of your catch soon!

WTG randy .... your determination paid off ... congrats on your wicked tuna ... good to hear whenever a small boat catches the big gorillas ... i still run 9/O's & 12/O's love the sound of the ratchet when hanapaa!
Thanks Peter, yeah those senators really make me jump when they go off!!!

That there is a NICE fish!
Thanks Bo