Paying my dues and why it would be nice to have a (big) two speed reel

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Seeing all the catches over the past month got me itching to hook up to something but after several trips I had nothing to show for it except melted ice and sunburns. I was happy to see everyone catching nearly everyday so I knew I just had to pay my dues and keep plugging away. Left the harbor solo at o'dark thirty and was at the "spot" right at dawn. Immediately I saw a couple of ahi "pushing" water so I knew I was in the right area. Nothing hit so I keep mowing the lawn in that area and 10 minutes later I saw a few dozen 2-3 inch yellow fish jumping in front of me and some birds diving 100 yards beyond that. I push the throttle to 9.5 mph to get there and the long line took off. I kept at it for 10-15 seconds and then slowed down. It was then I realized that I really needed a 2 speed reel. I'm using a 9/0 senator filled with 500 yards of 150lb Powerpro backing and 350 yards of 80lbs test over that with a 250lb windon leader- I was halfway through the Powerpro when I started to crank it in..... To make a long story short I hooked up at 7am and hit the fish with the bangstick at 9:45- yes, way too long but the reel and my hands/arm were falling apart after that battle. After I hit 'em with the bangstick, I put two gaffs in him but couldn't pull him over the side 'cause my hands were all cramped up so I sat down for 15 minutes and finally gathered enough strength to pull him in. 183lbs. It hit a 9" strawberry Shiroma bullet in Blue salmon

Attachments

shadzdad

Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Randy, congrats on that beast, that was a long battle but you came out on top. I run senators so I know how it is to earn that fish.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Randy,
How fricken cool is that, i am so happy for you. The first 4 years I owned the Kai'Io (former boat) that was all i had, 9-0's: don't ever under estimate them, but you are right low gear sure would have been nice. Nice lookin' ahi!!!

Cheers
Pat

Kauaihunter

Jan 30, 2011
Lihue
Name
Jay
Boat
Moana Kai 15' Whaler
You got em! That is all that matters, solo too, even harder. Taste extra good that one!!!!

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Randy,
Nice solo job on that ahi! That is truely a battle on a 9/0 senator. I love it when us small boat guys can bring in those beast. Congratulations!

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Nice fish Randy. Two hour 45 minutes, makes me tired just thinking about it. Bet that fish was real tired too.

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Randy, congratulations on the nice ahi! Yep - a two speed reel helps big time!

Beauchat2

Aug 21, 2012
oahu
Name
Russ
Boat
22 Force flybridge DEEEEZEL, 16 Arima Sandbar Queen
If it aint broke dont fix it!!!! J/k Nice catch.

chuck merkel

Jun 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Chuck Merkel
Boat
21 foot Force Marine, Joslyn M
Congratulations on your catch- well earned! You will remember it for a long time. Spectra backing allows you to use a top shot of heavier mono. I am not an expert with the Penn Senators, but you may be able to add some drag washers to get a little more drag. But at some point you will reach the strength of your reel's limiting component. And you can't convert it to a two speed reel. Save your money and upgrade your tackle as you can. You should be able to swap your spectra when you do.

surftout

May 28, 2009
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Trophy
Great job, My first reels were 9/0's. Hooked a marlin on the point and smoked the reel. I went into debt the following day and bought 2 speed gold reels.

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Chee Hoo! Right on Randy! Well deserved! Been looking for your posts for a while since I got the new boat and missed your post! I had Senators too. Its great to have a Marc to hand line the fish. ( The old school two-speed! ) I wish you many more this season! Hope you son gets to go with you and catch another one.

BIG GAME 217

Jun 22, 2008
guam
Name
glen
Boat
18 Mckee craft pulse
Dont under estimate a 9/0 reel my first marlin which was 325lbs was caught on one. I fought it for 2hrs but got it in. And yes my arms felt like falling off for a couple days!

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Congrats on the nice one! Time for a bigger boat and some gold reels :)
Thanks, I'm for both but there's this little problem called the wife....LOL

:notworthyon a 9/0 senator
Thanks, maybe it's the last time I try for big fish with those reels...

Randy, congrats on that beast, that was a long battle but you came out on top. I run senators so I know how it is to earn that fish.
Thanks Darren, I couldn't believe how long it was taking but I wasn't going to give up so either the gear would fail or the fish would tire 'cause I waited too long to get this chance!

Randy,
How fricken cool is that, i am so happy for you. The first 4 years I owned the Kai'Io (former boat) that was all i had, 9-0's: don't ever under estimate them, but you are right low gear sure would have been nice. Nice lookin' ahi!!!

Cheers
Pat
Thanks Pat, I don't know how you do it solo and standup too! Now when I see pics of your ahis I can better appreciate how hard it is to find and pull them in, and you do it nearly every month of the year! Much respect to you!

You got em! That is all that matters, solo too, even harder. Taste extra good that one!!!!
Thanks Jay and yup, went through a full range of recipes last night from sashimi to negitorodon to temaki sushi to poke... Good thing had a bunch of friends over to help cut and eat some fish!

That's epic battle and an awesome solo catch! Congrats!
Thanks Randy, I hope I leaned a little from this one so I can cut the fighting time down a bit...

Randy,
Nice solo job on that ahi! That is truely a battle on a 9/0 senator. I love it when us small boat guys can bring in those beast. Congratulations!
Thanks Russ, I have your example to follow and you set the bar high!

Good going!
Thanks Jeff

Nice fish Randy. Two hour 45 minutes, makes me tired just thinking about it. Bet that fish was real tired too.
Thanks Steven, I was planning on 1/2 hr but the fish had other plans. The hardest part was pulling it in the boat, I just couldn't do it for a while and was worried that the tax collector would show up at any time and mess up my day with all the blood in the water... BTW, congrats on kicking your monkey off too!!!

wisebob

Sep 19, 2009
honolulu, hi
Name
bob
Boat
smallsize kine
Congratulations Randy. How was the quality of the meat? Was it burnt or good near the center? I've read some theories that a longer fight/time fish is in the water actually gives you less burning.

Also, is that you (young guy) in the picture?

bob

shinchan

Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Randy, congratulations on the nice ahi! Yep - a two speed reel helps big time!
Thanks Jimmy!

Awesome fish and epic battle. Way to represent us small boat guys.
Thanks Luke, I'm still hurting from the fight...

Congratulations. That is an awesome catch on any tackle much less a 9/0. My arms cramped up just reading about it.
Thanks Scott, my cranking arm(right) and "line pulling" hand (left) were cramped off and on throughout the fight- I tried to switch it up mid-fight but that made it worse because then both arms and hands were about to cramp up as well and then where would I be....

Randy, congratulations on an epic battle with a 9/0. Like others said, time to get the gold reels!
Thanks Brian, you're right, time to invest wisely...

Your persistence paid off...Great looking fish!!!
Thanks Mike

Randy, awesome job, surprised the 9/0 held up!
Thanks Brian, yeah I'm afraid to open up that reel, it probably looks like goo in there...

Great story and with a great ending!

Congrats Randy.
Thanks Jesse

Unreal. Probably a pretty fun fight even though it seemed forever. Fish must have tasted twice as good after that fight.
Thanks Jeff, It was fun when I hooked up but as far as the fight I can say I was tense the whole time waiting for something to give or the hook to shake off. And yes, it tastes great today and will this week and the next....LOL

Thanks Neil

If it aint broke dont fix it!!!! J/k Nice catch.
Thanks Russell