Saltwater Paul... Tuna Virgin NO MORE!!!

Trent

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2009
Olympia WA
Name
Trent E Rickman
Boat
20' NorthWest Signature
Well, Stacy invited Rock Fish & I for one last Westport tuna run for the year. The water is cooling off fast and it's really late in the season, but we were still hearing good reports of tuna only 40 miles out.

Stacy told me to fill the forth seat if I could, so I shot a text to Paul Ambrose of Great NW Rivers Guide Service at the last minute and asked if he was available for a tuna trip. Paul met us at the park & ride at 4:30 am this morning and we headed for WP. When we arrived at the ramp, it was no surprise to see we were the only trailer in the parking lot.

We ran out to the south end of Guide Canyon and it didn't take long for Stacy to find a hot school of jumpers..... in 56 degree water!!! We never put a troll rod in the water all day. Stacy slid the boat in on the jumpers and in no time all four of us were hooked up. That's right... even Mr. Tuna Virgin Paul!!! Paul had no problem picking up on the live bait technique using the spinning gear.

I'm not sure how many we put in the boat that first bait stop, but when we finally slid off the fish, the floor of the boat was covered with blood and tuna. Then we didn't have to go far to get right back on 'em. The birds were diving on the jumping schools of feeding tuna, so it was fairly easy to see where the fish were.

We started the day with $80 or 20 lbs of live anchovies. I figured I'd take any left overs home to use for Chum bait..... but there were ZERO left over. We had steady action all morning until all our bait was gone, both kill bags were stuffed with 10 -12 tuna each, and the back fish box had 9 tuna in it.

So Paul got to catch his first, and second, and third, etc. Tuna on an amazingly beautify mid October day. I'm headed home with no Chum bait... but not the least bit disappointed!!! What a great way to finish the 2011 Tuna season!

I'll get an official body count when we get back to the Park and Ride....

Yup! Exactly 30!

59de9a6a.jpg

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Damn nice. Stacy must have a killer bait tank to hold 20# of livies all day. I saw you guys exiting at Nisqually yesterday about 6pm Must have got on the fish pretty quick and plugged the Parker fast!!! Sweet.

Where's the video?

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Man I love this time of year!!!! Gotta love those late season pigs.

Way to fill the freezer.

Upvote 0

silver slayer

I've posted enough I should'nt have to edit this
May 12, 2009
kitsap county
Name
Josh
Boat
25' starcraft expedition
good job!! and to think its october WTF

Upvote 0

Trent

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2009
Olympia WA
Name
Trent E Rickman
Boat
20' NorthWest Signature
Damn nice. Stacy must have a killer bait tank to hold 20# of livies all day. I saw you guys exiting at Nisqually yesterday about 6pm Must have got on the fish pretty quick and plugged the Parker fast!!! Sweet.

Where's the video?

Oops.... I suck at math. I guess $80 worth is actually 16 lbs of bait... not 20. But who knows how much they actually give ya?

Anyway... how much ever it was, we had very few die so yeah, Stacy has an awesome home made 35 gallon, constant raw water circulating bait tank!

Sorry, I didn't have time to shoot any video this trip... or should I say I didn't take any time for it. I love getting video, especially of a guy catching his first. But it's a little tough to stand there filming when it's wide open.

Upvote 0