Patties, Catalina, the slide, 277 08-10-18/08-11-18 NO GO

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Tunachaser976, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Tunachaser976

Tunachaser976 Newbie

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Striper 21
    08-10-18
    Left Davies at 6am. Stopped by nachos for some sardines. Headed out to Catalina. It was a calm ride over and the plan was to start fishing near long point and work my way down to the east end. About 5 miles from the island I spotted a couple kelp patties. Threw some sardines to see if anyone was home along with a fly-lined sardine for nada. Tried trolling two rapalas off the back again nada. Same story with the other patty. Oh well headed over to long point and began fishing the front side. Tried everything trolling, fly-line, dropper loop, halibut drifts all the way to Avalon for nada. Pulled up and headed to the slide and then 277. Trolled some lures there for a couple hours and again nada. Headed in to the rock quarry at the drop off there and managed to get a calico bass which happened to interest two PBs who happened to be passing by at the time. Fished there for another hour for nada. Headed in to Avalon picked up a mooring and met up with my uncle. Spent the night at his place.

08-11-18
    Back out in the morning with him hoping his many many years of fishing experience who change my luck for the day. We went out to the slide and trolled for about 3 hours all the way down to the 277 and back. Nada even with his fancy lures and stinger. Oh well, checked out church rock and a few of his producing spots at the backside of the east end. Saw tons of bait jumping there and headed over to investigate. Found out it was being chased by cudas and bass. Threw everything at it and he managed to get one legal calico. I tried a tardy iron and was able to get a yellowtail to follow it but it dove out after seeing the boat. We grinded it out there throwing plastics, fly-lined sardines, a mackerel, irons, fast retrieval, slow retrieval, and yo-yoing for nothing. Pretty frustrating day so headed back to Avalon dropped him off and back across and on the trailer by 2pm.

Heard a lot of traffic about dorado on 72. Seemed like they were further south 209 and down. The skippers sounded frustrated, a lot of them were seeing fish or doing all the right things on the patties but not getting any. The few that I heard did were saying they got them in the morning. Water temps in the area I was were pretty high at one point I saw 79 but they were mostly between 76-78. Hope everyone else had better luck. Stay safe out there, help others out and have a good time. Tight lines!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. onehottip

onehottip Member

Name:
    Guerms
    Boat:
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Thanks for the report

3. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    SOS DD, been there and done that, sorry!

mrkrabs and slydawg like this.
  4. uglyducky

uglyducky Member

Name:
    Jesse Collin
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 21'
    Sounds like my entire weekend. I think I circled cat twice and hit every paddy I could see. Totally deflating weekend fish wise

5. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    Yup. Did a quick morning out of Dana. Fished the 267 with the kids for zilch. Saw several feeding marlin. Fished 20 or so dry paddies. Saw no fish. Fml

6. Tunachaser976

Tunachaser976 Newbie

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Striper 21
    Wish I was the only one but apparently not. Sorry to hear the same story.

7. zackattack1

zackattack1 Member

Name:
    zach musser
    Boat:
    more work
    Same here gonna try again morning

8. fishboyjc

fishboyjc Mariposa matador

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    26’ Shamrock
    Went out on a friend's boat we were at Catalina also. We saw several plank boats out there on the way over near the 270. After looking around and the c&r of one barracuda we decided to look out West of the island found lots of birds on bait, kelp paddies, pilot whales etc......but no gamefish.

Tunachaser976 likes this.
  9. Tunachaser976

Tunachaser976 Newbie

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Striper 21
    Dog-on-it, I was hoping someone would of posted better luck on the thread. Same story for all of us.

10. Pepe Pirata Aspirina

Pepe Pirata Aspirina Newbie

Name:
    Jose
    Boat:
    38' Ocean Yachts - Triple Veez
    i hit the 277 also all AM and nothing. all paddies were dry. fished backside of Catalina nothing. we went to front side and caught 1 barracuda & some kelp bass. Bad day fishing, great day to spend on fuel!

11. Tin Pangas

Tin Pangas Skipper

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    37 Tollycraft
    hey Jose! glad to see you joined BD!!

Pepe Pirata Aspirina likes this.
  12. Pepe Pirata Aspirina

Pepe Pirata Aspirina Newbie

Name:
    Jose