Patriot Fish Count - Saturday, July 22nd

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by gspot, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gspot

gspot Crazy for Cabo

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    24' Starcraft Bluewater 240 CC, 17' Boston Whaler
    I noticed that the Patriot out of Newport Landing forgot to post our fish count for my company charter (extended 3/4 day) yesterday.

Well, here it is: 1 yellowtail (8 lbs). 1 barracuda (just legal). 3 rockfish (each approximately 1 Lb) for 26 anglers on a private extended 3/4 day charter.

I know fishing was tough at Catalina yesterday, but this was the worst charter on the Patriot my company has had in 3 years. It wasn't the boat or crew. Those guys did what they could to make a bad situation good. They worked hard and even though it was a bad charter (fishing wise), they were still tipped well. It wasn't their fault.

In my opinion, the blame lays squarely on the shoulders of the rent-a-captain, Paul. John Fischer is also culpable as the official captain of the Patriot, but he probably didn't want to take out a boat full of rent rods. Just because there were a lot of rent rods on the boat, make no mistake about it, these guys can fish. They just don't have their own gear.

It may have been a tough fishing day, but when their sister boat the Nautilus comes in from an extended ¾ day charter with a hell of a lot more fish on the same day, in the same conditions, not to mention the other boats from San Pedro to Dana Point that also scored as well as the Nautilus, it proves my point as to how inadequate our charter was.

I'm not sure if our "captain" didn't belong to any code groups, didn't have any friends on the water, or just doesn't know how to fish Catalina, but it sure didn't seem like he knew what he was doing.

Not all trips are going to be epic trips. That's understandable and accepted. But Paul’s lack of planning was evident. It may have been the number of rental rods that gave him the misperception that he could take the charter for a 12 hour boat ride.

What discouraged us the most is that the "captain" didn't know where to begin fishing and when he did pick a spot, he stayed there for 15 minutes before moving (citing skiffs and seals as the problem). I’ve fished with both (seal and skiffs). It was the spots he chose that were the problem. By the time we got to the island, Long Point had a lot of private boats on it. We tried to muscle in on a couple private boats but they wouldn't move (don't blame them). We moved to the rock quarry (again among a few other private boats) and nothing there. Move to Church Rock same situation. Move to the V's and we kept drifting right into a Parker, he finally left.

All totaled, on a 12 Hour trip, we had lines in the water about a total of 1 hour!

The rest of the time was spent on the move. 3 hours to Catalina so we didn't start fishing to almost 9:30! 3 hours back so we left the island at 2:45! The rest of the time was spent going 5 knots from spot to spot.

I did try to talk to the captain and he said that it was just a tough day of fishing. I tried to talk to someone at the landing, but they said to wait until Monday and take it up with our charter representative (which I will do).

What peeved me the most is that around 12:30, when this charter started going south, and all my guys rumbling about no fish (they didn't even have nibbles to get excitted about!), I asked the captain to start fishing for rock fish so i could send my guys home with some fish taco meat. We had all the tackle to switch over to on the boat.

The "captain" moved to deep water spots with what he described as "hard, sandy bottom". We made a few drifts in 300' water that didn't produce a nibble. We were fishing in the damn desert. Rock Fish tend to hang around ROCKS! That’s where he should have been fishing, but I’m not sure he knows any “spots”.

I'm bummed for my guys. For most, this is their only ocean trip of the year and they really look forward to it. Hopefully I can do a better job next year and have a fish count that will be posted.

2. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    Sorry for the tough day!! Did you guys not catch any bass?? Even shorts?? There are a ton of spots with 10-13 3/4 inch calico bass that bite like mad!! Could have at least had C&R action? Or head back to the coast For sand bass? Sounds like a galley trip!! Sell food n drink. Oh and gunny sacks too!!! Hope they do right by you!! FISHing can be tough!! BUT that was highway robbery!!!

3. hilltop

hilltop lurking in the shallows

Name:
    hilltop
    Boat:
    sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
    Ouch! How was the food? Were the beers super cold?

slayrider likes this.
  4. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    This is going to be fun

[​IMG]

When a trip sucks that much, a decent captain would've offered a discount.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Zika and SoCalAvet like this.
  5. XBDEE

XBDEE Member

Name:
    Dee
    Boat:
    N/a
    That sucks! Been there, time for another boat!

6. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
  7. mackereljoe

mackereljoe Member

Name:
    Joey
    Boat:
    None
    I'm not surprised at all, experienced it twice last year but for a private charter that's not fun. On one trip the captain had us doing sabiki for mackerel for over 1 hour because he said there's no bait.

8. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    assassins_creed_black_flag___walk_the_plank_by_nazo_gema-d6vwudr.jpg

You must go!

OutKasting likes this.
  9. Gbaker770

Gbaker770 Newbie

Name:
    Gavin Baker
    Boat:
    Mullet Hunter
    Are you kidding me?
    Paul doesn't know how to fish Catalina? Paul has logged more time on the water than everyone on that charter guaranteed!
    Its called fishing and sometimes they don't bite.
    Just an FYI, Paul was fishing Arts Landing before he could even ride a bike. Ask anyone who runs a boat out of Newport of Paul's capability and knowledge.

10. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    Catalina can be good but it can be a really stingy piece of rock also.We circled it a couple weeks ago in a private boat and didn't catch a thing.We looked at some jumbo yellows for a couple hours but there was so much bait they wouldn't touch anything with a hook in it.
    These guys are in the fish catching business. I don't know them but I'm sure they wanted to catch fish.Moving every 15 minutes sounds like he was trying a lot harder then a guy that sets the pic once.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    sickcat and Carl like this.
  11. princefredo

princefredo Member

Name:
    alfredo
    Boat:
    Hobie Mirage "Master Baiter"
    Sorry for your bad trip. Im surprised you guys didn't even get on the small calicos. Usually you cant get away from them....On the spots you fished with private boats, did you see any of them pulling up fish? Or was it tough for them too. I have fished with Paul as the Capt. so I know he can usually put you on the fish...Sucks, sorry for yout bad trip.

12. gspot

gspot Crazy for Cabo

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    I talked to the Landing yesterday. They apologized, but as some of you have said, they told me Paul was one of their better Captains and he knows Catalina well. They were nice about it and my charter rep is going to talk to the Landing owners and see if there's something they can do. Have to give them credit for at least talking to me about this. I'll post what they propose.

Our charter may have caught Paul on a bad day. I know Catalina can be tough. It gets a lot of pressure. I've fished it many times on my own boat. When fishing is that tough, I'll head to the West end and do some rock fishing. What still boggles my mind is that every sportboat captain I know belongs to some type of code group or has friends on the water at any given time and is willing to share intel. Landings from San Pedro to Dana Point all caught fish that day, averaging 30 - 40 per boat.

I'm just still scratching my head as to why we only brought back 5 fish? It wasn't the talent on the boat or the bait. There wasn't even a nibble to get excited about.

Can't beat a dead horse. What's done is done. Thank you for your comments and support and even criticisum. You are all allowed your opinions and I can learn from some of them.

Donkey Nick likes this.
  13. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Saying the captain was moving too much and complaining about the lack of catching is contradictory. When you're moving you are hunting for better conditions/fish. Mullet was right. If the skipper sets the pick and sits for hours on bad catching that's when you might have a bitch to pitch. Sounds to me like he tried his ass off to find better catching.

Sometimes you run out of time before you find what you need.

I don't know anybody at newport landing or that boat. Just going off your report.

Sorry you had a bad one. I hate when i work a trip that is a dud. I take it personally, but no matter how much effort is put forth, Mother Nature contols the results.... Bad catching trips have been too plentiful this year. Even the trip saver rockfish havent been biting well.... Plugged with red crab is a factor imo but i digress.

sickcat, el Toro and geramiecg like this.
  14. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    I have booked 3 work charters on the Gail Force and I recommend it highly! Ryan the owner always follows up with me before and after each trip to make sure we are satisfied. We have plenty of rental rods each trip and the crew has always given them special attention to make sure they catch fish. Better luck next time!

Donkey Nick likes this.
  15. PUDDLER

PUDDLER John

Name:
    JOHN
    Boat:
    235 Triumph "High Spot"
    So would you rather just fish with no bait??

16. mackereljoe

mackereljoe Member

Name:
    Joey
    Boat:
    None
    After catching Macs the captain took us to catch sculpin moved once or twice and went home. Even strip of squid was skimpy and only 1 hook. Never did use the live bait. We have over 80 fishermen onboard.

17. Donkey Nick

Donkey Nick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat:
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    100% agreed. Ryan is a solid owner of the Gail Force and also the Triton. The Triton has bunks, which makes it nice for a little shut eye in the way out and in. Also, Shane (the skipper of the Triton) is a great dude.

Also...the cook on the Gail Force is the best. Get a cheeseburger and you will not regret it!

18. gspot

gspot Crazy for Cabo

Name:
    George
    Boat:

Thanks for the recommendation. We have so many guys that want to go fishing, we limit our charters to 30. Next year, we're probably going to do 2 boats so we can accommodate all our employees that want to go and some customers too. My idea is to fish one boat against the other on the same day. Boat against Boat. Captain against Captain. Fishermen against Fishermen. The Gail Force and Triton may make a great pair to do that with. Definately worth considering. Thank you.

jeffdalton likes this.
  19. Rock20

Rock20 Newbie

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    Dingy
    Once again you show a lack of knowledge of fishing. Going to catch some rockfish off the west end is 45 miles from Newport. That makes it a four and a half hour ride home which surely you would have complained about only getting a small amount of fishing time. Unfortunately it's called fishing not catching.

fish&snow, el Toro and hanapah like this.
  20. Zika

Zika Chum-Master

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
    I caught more from a crowded beach !! Lol ..some of those sportie captains really suck !!

carterantebi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.