Patching pinhole in hull

seabeckgrown

Mar 10, 2019
Kitsap
Name
Neil
Boat
1999 Smokercraft 172 Salmon
I would much rather go with grey Marine-Tex or JB weld than 5200. Leave a little dimple on the outside and a mushroom head about and inch big and an 1/8 to 3/16 high on the inside.
Unfortunately, without ripping up the deck and pulling my fuel tank out, I don't have access to the inside of the hull at the leak point. I figure I can mushroom the 5200 through the hole and then keep it somewhat flat on the outside with a little bit of a ridge.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I drill it out to fit a pop rivet coated with JB weld

ShadBurke

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
Typically guys with aluminum boats unpainted bottoms in saltwater don’t use carpeted bunks due to corrosion. Plastic sliders on wood.

Ideally an aluminum patch from inside is best. Bring a few toilet bowl wax rings in case the hole opens up and you can stuff the ring in there. Cheap $3 emergency solution all boaters should have a few onboard.

garlicsalt

Jul 18, 2014
pitted.
Name
jed
Boat
''the twisted ducker''
I used JB WELD on my on a few small holes in my Bayrunner Baja 3 years ago and it's held up better than I thought it would. still going strong.

Reactions: seabeckgrown

seabeckgrown

Mar 10, 2019
Kitsap
Name
Neil
Boat
1999 Smokercraft 172 Salmon
I used JB WELD on my on a few small holes in my Bayrunner Baja 3 years ago and it's held up better than I thought it would. still going strong.
I think that's what I'm leaning towards at this point. They're very small holes. Did you use the two part epoxy or the premade putty?

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Unfortunately, without ripping up the deck and pulling my fuel tank out, I don't have access to the inside of the hull at the leak point. I figure I can mushroom the 5200 through the hole and then keep it somewhat flat on the outside with a little bit of a ridge.
I'm a fan of 5200 but IMO it is not a good choice for this fix.

MarineTex is pretty fluid when freshly mixed. I would do just as you describe but with MarineTex instead of 5200. You could push it through the hole with a putty knife and get enough in to have a good mushroom on the inside. Even easier would but an epoxy syringe to push it up through the hole.

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
Any thoughts on what caused the pinholes?
Because I'd be wondering if more are going to appear or these will reappear.
I'm not familiar with that hull but I gather it is aluminum.

I can't imagine a scenario where holes appear in aluminum plate unless:
1. Someone drilled them.
2. There's a big spot of corrosion on the other side, that's just starting to break through.

Anyway, @mullet suggested rivet.
You can buy closed end rivets that would fit the bill nicely.

garlicsalt

Jul 18, 2014
pitted.
Name
jed
Boat
''the twisted ducker''
I think that's what I'm leaning towards at this point. They're very small holes. Did you use the two part epoxy or the premade putty?
The two part, I mixed it for a perfect color match.