fly liner

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
So I'm in the middle of rebuilding my crystaliner. I just removed the old OMC seadrive. I will be replacing it with a new outboard bracket. My question is should I leave one of the holes in the transom open for wire harness and controls or patch up both of them and run the items elsewhere.

Attachments

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Patch it all up. You don't want to wind up in a situation where after you get the bracket on you realize that the hole you intended to use produces a un-aesthetically pleasing result for routing wires and cables. Having it all fresh allows you to opportunity to run everything with the best result.

How is the transom wood? good shape?

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Plug them all

Reactions: fly liner

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
Patch it all up. You don't want to wind up in a situation where after you get the bracket on you realize that the hole you intended to use produces a un-aesthetically pleasing result for routing wires and cables. Having it all fresh allows you to opportunity to run everything with the best result.

How is the transom wood? good shape?
That is pretty much what I was thinking.

Transom is solid

Reactions: Capt.C.Delany

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
Having done this transformation we plugged all holes in the transom. Finished to perfect gel coat...

Then proceeded to drill 30 new ones !
How many coats of gel did you use. And how did you prep before recoating? did you just lightly sand and clean well. Or did you scuff the the old gel coat aggressively
re coating

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Patch both and put the new hole in the best possible location.As far as gel coat goes,sand well with 80 or 120 grit.How many coats depends on how smooth a finish you want to end up with.A glossy finish will need extra gel coat so you can wet sand and buff without sanding through.

Reactions: fly liner

MagBayCo

Promoter
Aug 31, 2019
Bahia Magdalena B.C.S.
Name
Mind Sweeper
Boat
BCS Fleet
How many coats of gel did you use. And how did you prep before recoating? did you just lightly sand and clean well. Or did you scuff the the old gel coat aggressively
re coating
The entire transom was sanded after all the holes were filled first with wood then cloth. Faired in then a coat of primer. I had a pro prep and spray the gel coat.

2C425C49-4ADE-4781-9F70-F94370AE5FBE.jpeg
[ATTACH=

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
I just plugged holes with resin and wood dowel. Re drilled the screw holes to knock out any crap. I'll scrap off the resin drips after it starts to gel.. I want try to get a start on the big holes tomorrow.

Attachments

Reactions: MagBayCo