PASSPORT RENEWAL - Who's done it recently?

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I got mine in about 13 days, just about as expedited as possible. Inside 10 days might be doable depending on how busy so go down to the office!

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Spent 7 hours at the LA Fed building a few summers ago after my parents, who had got their passports 20 years prior and renewed by mail (hence slightly out of the loop on modern processes), surprised me with a fishing trip to Canada as a grad present. I will say the people watching was about as good as it got, right up to the woman dragging her three kids behind her demanding to go to the front of the line since she had a flight to Cabo in 3 hours. You can imagine how that went. Safe to say I'll be renewing by mail at the earliest opportunity, but I had mine in time. Just had to go back down there 3 days later and play Postman roulette until the right driver showed up with your book. Think it was $250 but can't totally recall.

Reactions: glenniesan
Upvote 0

tpmuday

Jul 29, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Tom Muday
Boat
N/A
Mike, you only need the book if you are leaving the continent. If you only need it for traveling to Mexico or Canada, then the card will suffice just fine.

Well - MX and Canada if by land or by sea - not by air...

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

BTW, I used an expediting service some years back and it worked as promised, but I didn't have a passport office nearby so it was my only choice.

Upvote 0

Keith P

Almost A Member
Nov 19, 2014
Lake Forest
Name
Keith Padrnos
Boat
17' cernter console
I got mine at AAA (Auto Club), if you happen to be a member. I can't remember how long it took , however.

Keith

Upvote 0

sulla

Jan 1, 2007
Torrance CA
Name
Sulla
Boat
Party Boat Near You
I needed rush passports for my kids to travel to France to film a movie. We went to the SD office and had the passport same day we just had to pay a rush fee. I think it was like $100.

You must fill out all the paper work in advance which can be found online, have your old passport and provide proof you are travelling, hence you need a rush.

It was shockingly easy and efficient. We went to SD because we heard LA is a nightmare.

We went to the office in LA for the same day pass sports and I think we were in and out in about an hour less than 2 for sure. I'm not sure if we got lucky on that day but it was amazingly fast and efficient.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Well here we go...... here is my progress report from my expedite passport application appointment today......

It went insanely well, and was totally painless and easy!! I opted for the passport book & card, and prior to going in, you just pull up the paperwork (which isn't much), fill it all out, and make sure you have a new passport picture ready...... a birth certificate, an itinerary of your upcoming trip, a photo copy of your drivers license (front & back), and make sure you also have the license with you, and then make your next day appointment on line.

Parking was probably the worst of it all, and it wasn't really all that bad, as I found a spot on the curb and paid $2.50 for 2 hours, and was back in my car and going home with 15 minutes to spare on the meter.

I will be picking up my passport in 2 days..... yep, two days!

Total cost was $225 for passport and card, and had I went with just the passport, then it would have been $195

A HUGE thanks to those who chimed in with good solid info...... hope this helps a few!! :D

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo Betta
Upvote 0

fxbobby

Sep 21, 2005
SANTEE
Name
BOB
Boat
SOLD!!!!!!
I took my photos, original birth certificate, and drivers license to the UCSD Mail center after getting a sheet from the post office. I was in there all of 10 minutes and got my passport and card less than 2 weeks later.

Upvote 0

jiggyn

Do you even fish?
Jan 26, 2008
Torrance
Name
Jerr
Boat
shit talking
I did mine online travelstate
It was a renewal and did the standard shipping wasn't in a rush to get but actually got it back in less than 4 weeks

Upvote 0