I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Get both, the card is handy in a pinch
Yeah. I got both. I figured that I could get them about 5 years apart so that I would always have one, but it doesn't work that way. They expire on the same date.

The card is also good for sea travel I believe.

picasso

Jul 27, 2009
los angeles
Name
joe
Boat
17 Boston Whaler
Let us know how it goes.
I understand the process has ground to a halt due to the pandemic.

Reactions: smokinwater

bajachild

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 13, 2005
so. cal
Name
mike
Boat
2019 Montauk 170
Let us know how it goes.
I understand the process has ground to a halt due to the pandemic.
I turned my stuff in on sept 16. I called a lot of places that do passports and all were not accepting people because of covid. I was persistent and found the San Gabriel city office was by appointment only. It was a snap. How long it takes to get it is another story.
715C90E8-ACFD-4077-92F0-19B8B40CB5F4.png

Reactions: jiggermyster

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa/San Carlos
Name
Dan
Boat
19ft aluminum
I just received mine, and it took about 2 months for a renewal. I got both the book and the card because i hated carrying my book with me on fishing trips. was told that the card is sufficient to fish in mexican waters. now the book only goes with me on flights and not on one day boat trips.

Reactions: Ventura Bill

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
Came here this morning to ask about the same thing. Anybody know about the mail-in process? Mine expires in February, and I want to get a jump on it.

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Came here this morning to ask about the same thing. Anybody know about the mail-in process? Mine expires in February, and I want to get a jump on it.
Wife and I renewed via mail and it was a snap. Had new passports and cards in less than a month. Caveat to this, this was all pre-pandemic....April, 2019

Dozer217

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 12, 2010
LBC
Get both, if you're going by air the book if you're fishing from SD or driving the card works plus once you're in country having card on you vs carrying the book is easier.

rick Jackson

"Carpe diem"
May 28, 2015
Name
RIP Jim Peterson
Boat
Glasspar Avalon/SeaQuest
Get both even the Nice Lady at the Dana Point Post Office
recommended a Card and Passport. :Pogo_Stic

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
Pay extra for expediting it. You will get it quicker. My wife and I paid the extra fee in February for our renewal cards got them in March. My wife's mother didn't pay the extra in February and she still hasn't received hers.

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
Keep the card and the book widely separated so you don’t lose both at the same time. Also, always keep a color photocopy of the photo page of the passport in a separate place. My wife and I carry a copy of each other’s whenever we travel together.

Reactions: stephen campbell