Inshore Partially sunk boat

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
barry skaggs
Boat
C-Dory TomCat
We saw this boat on July 19th around 10AM over by Nachos. At that time there was a rescue boat near by, no people in the water. They had a rope attached to the partially sunk vessel. We went on our way, thinking "there but the grace of God go I", and figured there would be more information on what happened later. no news was forth coming and i forgot about it after few days.

So, we are heading into the huntington harbor yesterday to see the same partially sunk vessel outside the harbor jetty on the Long Beach side. WTF? i drive over to find it anchored(?), listing badly to the port side, with a 4 x 4" post that appears to have gone right through the hull on the starboard side. Obviously it easy to see in the day, but you night fisherman in small boats could certainly be in for a rude awakening.

IMG_3805.jpg

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brothers....I find this whole story amazing. Now I've been around a number of decades boating and fishing here..... but NEVER.... EVER.... have I heard..... get it out of here..... just haul it around the corner.... anchor it.....put a light on it.... yell out the news.... and just leave it there. "That's all we could do". Shame on them! Seriously!!

Let's just add the "ostrich with it's head in the sand" picture in your mind.... with the next headline we will see. SOMEONE HIT IT. IT SUNK. SOMEONE DIED HITTING IT AT NIGHT.

Yeah.... that's their "official" response. Sad ...sad... sad. Never would have happened 30 years ago.... even 20 years ago. No one wants to be responsible. Boat owner.... the State.... or the Coast Guard. Until someone dies....again?

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
    Sep 26, 2008
    Long Beach
    www.skipjackmafia.com
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    NO BOATS
    I talked to a guy that knows a guy and the owner of that boat is a tweeker with no insurance. He indeed hit the breakwall about 10 days ago full speed in the middle of the night. The day before he had called on 16 to try and get someone to help him anchor that boat inside the harbor.

Nobody wants to take responsibility for the salvage as there is no way to get payment. It sucks that thing is just sitting out there and its way too close to the alamitos/huntington entrances. Someone is gonna hit it eventually.

Upvote 0