LSRNoonan

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2015
Orange County
Name
John Noonan
Boat
Parker 2520
I have a 1999 2520 Mod hull with a 2004 Yamaha 250 4-stroke with no bracket.

Just purchased a Windlass V700 and have a great anchor, looking to see how much rode/chain I should purchase? I am thinking 25' of 1/4" chain and 250' of 8-plait rode?

Any thoughts, anchoring in 20'-130' of water. What I would like to know is what is the amount the locker can hold as I have not installed anything yet or purchased the chain/rode. I have no issue buying 300' of rode if the locker will hold it.

Also who is reputable/close to Huntington Beach to do the install, I have the solenoid, rocker switch, template etc.

Thank you and tight lines!

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
Generally speaking on chain you want to double the boat size plus half ,we just replaced the chain with g4 , 60 ft and used the existing rope we had , 500+feet with room to Spare on the 2520

E1922DD9-EE88-43ED-AD8C-741422BBD70F.jpeg

Upvote 0

LSRNoonan

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2015
Orange County
Name
John Noonan
Boat
Parker 2520
Buttchaser was a great help, thank you so much for the texts back and forth!

Looking for a local to HB place to install a bow pulpit, roller and Windlass.

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you,

John

:jig:

Reactions: Buttchaser
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
The rule of thumb about chain length being equal to one or two boat lengths is often repeated, but I don't believe it has any particular basis in math or physics or anything else. The length of chain determines how much force can be applied before the chain entirely lifts off the ocean floor and begins pulling partially vertically on the anchor. So long as the chain is pulling on the anchor straight sideways, as it always would if at least part of the chain nearest the anchor is still on the ocean floor, the anchor should just dig in deeper, no matter how much force is applied. And the deeper it digs, the harder it will hold. But just a little vertical pull on the anchor, even if the pull is still mostly sideways, can be enough to cause the anchor to drag. The more force on the anchor chain, the more chain is necessary to keep at least the last few feet on the bottom. There will be times when one boat length isn't enough but two is. And times when two boat lengths are not enough but three are, and so on. There is a theoretical computation of the point at which additional chain doesn't help because the force to lift the anchor end of the chain will exceed the breaking strength of the chain. That theoretical limit to the benefit of additional chain is far in excess of two boat lengths for any boat using proper chain.

Personally, I would suggest carrying as much chain as your boat can handle (weight wise). I carry 440' but my boat isn't a go-fast boat and the weight of the chain doesn't affect any aspect of my boat's handling. I will put out a lot of scope, but have held in 40 knots of wind, gusting to 50, with a scope of 5 to 1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LSRNoonan

Almost A Member
Jul 31, 2015
Orange County
Name
John Noonan
Boat
Parker 2520
Rick,

Thanks for the information, with a Parker 2520 I am limited as to what the Anchor locker can hold, I was thinking 25' of 1/4" chain and 250' of 1/2" plait however will purchase 50 ' of chain and 300' of rode. based on information and guestimations. I will be anchoring in 20'-150' of water most of the time.

Need to find a great facility or mechanic/fabricator to install it all as we as supply and install a bow pulpit.

Again, thanks for the info.

John

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
6 times longer then where you intend to anchor with 15% of that being chain...if all you ever did was fish the Chesapeake bay you could get by with 100 feet..here id go 300 as an absolute minimum..or I'd drift alot

Reactions: LSRNoonan
Upvote 0