Parker Boats

FishMagnet1

Sep 8, 2012
San Diego
Name
Mike Borden
Boat
Fish Magnet
This is my second Parker inboard and I love the boat. Always wanted three stations so I could better handle the boat short handed running and gunning or working Diver's on a kelp patty. The gas engine in my 2001 shit the bed after hittin something at 20 kts so I broke down and pulled the trigger on what I hope will be the ultimate Repower for a Parker 2520.

Check out the progress.....will post again after I run the boat in the next week or two.

Mike Borden
Fish Magnet
image.jpeg

Put a new fuel tank in as well, made it about 20 gallons larger and out of stainless instead of t
image.jpeg

The original aluminum tank.
image.jpeg

The Volvo D4 package makes adding stations a lot easier than the cable style early model engine and I am told it is about 15 percent more fuel efficient than the old diesel too. The only bad news is the cost, it's not cheap. Can't wait to drive from the back deck and tower, it's going to be a game changer. It supposedly will do cruise control, start and stop from all stations and the little steering wheel they say is perfect because of the power steering.......more after the decks are bloody......

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Dang, that's sweet. You're going to have a big range.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

zanegler

Bomboy Lures Are Money!
Jun 24, 2008
placerville/ca/usa
Name
zane
Boat
Skipjack 20 Flybridge, Cruel Intentions
Absolutely awesome repower. I would take one diesel-powered Parker over ten outboard-powered ones. To me, a clean stern is priceless. I already know others will disagree, but a clean stern and range of a diesel is optimal.

Upvote 0

FishMagnet1

Sep 8, 2012
San Diego
Name
Mike Borden
Boat
Fish Magnet
Cogswell Marine, Pete Cogswell in Chula Vista did the engine install and most of the other details, quality stuff, great attention to detail his number is (619) 424-7446.

Yacht Deck, Charlie Lucey did the cool looking plastic teak deck called Flexiteak and was on time and on price 619-987-9626.

Honor Marine did the electronics and is still teaching me on them Scott Larosh 619-233-7666.

Jesus Orosco did the Blue Water Bait system install, based in San Diego but mobile, very busy and quality guy, long time experience on bait systems 619-246-0101.

Final performance numbers are impressive:
7 kts is 5 NM Per Gallon Diesel
8-27 is 2.4 to 2.6 NM Per Gallon Of Diesel
Plenty of power to launch quick to cruise from a stop, no prop cavitation even hard over starts at full throttle.
Test conditions 165 gallons Diesel, 80 Gallon Bait tank full and 30 Gallon Water Tank Full. Two people.

To early to give a reliability on the engine but if it keeps ticking I will say that I am giddy to put it lightly.

Reactions: Dave Nesthus
Upvote 0

Dave Nesthus

Sweet Pickle
Oct 27, 2003
Mission Viejo
Name
Dave Nesthus
Boat
Parker 2520 DVSC
Cogswell Marine, Pete Cogswell in Chula Vista did the engine install and most of the other details, quality stuff, great attention to detail his number is (619) 424-7446.

Yacht Deck, Charlie Lucey did the cool looking plastic teak deck called Flexiteak and was on time and on price 619-987-9626.

Honor Marine did the electronics and is still teaching me on them Scott Larosh 619-233-7666.

Jesus Orosco did the Blue Water Bait system install, based in San Diego but mobile, very busy and quality guy, long time experience on bait systems 619-246-0101.

Final performance numbers are impressive:
7 kts is 5 NM Per Gallon Diesel
8-27 is 2.4 to 2.6 NM Per Gallon Of Diesel
Plenty of power to launch quick to cruise from a stop, no prop cavitation even hard over starts at full throttle.
Test conditions 165 gallons Diesel, 80 Gallon Bait tank full and 30 Gallon Water Tank Full. Two people.

To early to give a reliability on the engine but if it keeps ticking I will say that I am giddy to put it lightly.

Damn that's nice!
I have a '97 with the AD41P Volvo. Did you have to modify the cutout for a new outdrive?

Upvote 0

downtime

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
I saw this boat. Absolutely awesome!! Extremely clean repower. The attention to detail by the guys at Cogswell is incredible! Show some Picts of that engine now that it is finished.

Upvote 0

FishMagnet1

Sep 8, 2012
San Diego
Name
Mike Borden
Boat
Fish Magnet
The boat definitely sits lower in the water than the gas engine. I am guessing we added 1000 - 1200 lbs to the boat. The boat handles better now with a lighter feeling nose, it was tail light before and now it's about right. The gas engine got 1.3 MPG and this engine is doing 2.5 roughly, of course at troll it's about 5 MPG. The noise level is higher but it sounds WAY COOL like a tractor. Cruise FF in the gas is 12-14 GPH at 25 kts, now at 24.7 kts high cruise it's doing 10 GPH. I moved all the electrical to an empty compartment that Parker didn't use in front of the engine box, then put a 30 gallon water tank in the same compartment. I used stainless for my tanks that might have been a weight mistake but looking at a long life span on the tanks, I hope. The deck shows the hatches I added in front of the engine box. We have 27 hours on the package now, still on the first tank of diesel. Running out with Poppers today for tuna so probably fuel tonight and confirm the fuel totals. The D4 ties into the Garmin so you have engine gauges on all displays. My Boy is runnin it now he left with 82 gallons of aproximatley 174 gallons useable fuel and that is after almost 30 hours on the boat. The problem with this install is I had a boat worth 50k roughly and then put 70,000 into the engine, 20k electronics, 5k deck, 3k bait system.....if I ever sell it someone will be getting a really great machine!

Upvote 0

Albrektsen

Really?
Nov 7, 2003
SD
Name
Kirk
Boat
Farallon 2600 Walkaround
Hi Fish Magnet.
I use Cogswell too...saw your boat down there while I had some work done on my Farallon. Just a thought, I wonder if you will see an increase in economy once the motor is broken in? My 26' Farallon with a D4 260 cruises at 3MPG while running 21-26MPH, that's with gear and guys on the boat while out fising. On very flat water or in the bay, 3.4mpg running at 2600-2700RPM. I have 2000 hours on it.
Kirk

Upvote 0

FishMagnet1

Sep 8, 2012
San Diego
Name
Mike Borden
Boat
Fish Magnet
Hi Fish Magnet.
I use Cogswell too...saw your boat down there while I had some work done on my Farallon. Just a thought, I wonder if you will see an increase in economy once the motor is broken in? My 26' Farallon with a D4 260 cruises at 3MPG while running 21-26MPH, that's with gear and guys on the boat while out fising. On very flat water or in the bay, 3.4mpg running at 2600-2700RPM. I have 2000 hours on it.
Kirk
I hope your right that would make it even better however I suspect not since the engine is probably running as good now as it ever will. Your hull might be more efficient, more boyant or lighter than ours so that might be the difference. We cruise 19-20 kts at 2800 RPM doing 2.6 NM per Gallon.

Upvote 0

Bella star

Oct 13, 2014
South of Conception
Name
Briggs
Boat
Anderson 26
You would be surprised on actually how many hours it takes for the break in period. It could be as long as 300-500 hours before you start seeing consistent numbers in gal per hour as well as stability in use of oil in crankcase. Just my experience with Diesels

Upvote 0

cvjarrod

Freshie
Aug 6, 2003
Chula Vista
Visit site
Name
Jarrod
Boat
24 Diesel Skipjack Flybridge
I hope your right that would make it even better however I suspect not since the engine is probably running as good now as it ever will. Your hull might be more efficient, more boyant or lighter than ours so that might be the difference. We cruise 19-20 kts at 2800 RPM doing 2.6 NM per Gallon.

You will definitely see a difference after break in. Your mileage will increase a little and your power will also increase.

Just the normal break in process of a diesel. Don't expect major changes, but it will change enough to notice.

Upvote 0

PACIFICPUNISHER

Biscuit Buster
Sep 4, 2009
So Cal
Name
Moondog
Boat
PARKER 2320 "HOTLINE"
Hi fishmag killer parker you got. Have you had a chance to put blood on the deck? I'm very interested to see how the new deck cleans up. Love the way it came out please keep us posted. Thanks

Upvote 0

downtime

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
the drip rail that was built out of stainless is killer....show it off
this repower is beautiful!

Upvote 0