bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Gwendolyn
I had a 2016 Parker 1801, sold it and now miss having a boat. Might get another but might get a Montauk 17, preferably a 19, but they are hard to come by. Anyone ridden in both an 1801 or Montauk 17 and give me feedback on how they ride comparatively?

I was really happy with the 1801. Catalina was not the most desirable, but I was down to go in the right conditions. I now realize a gave my boat away at the price I sold it. I got a great deal on it though and so hopefully that karma and all the hard work I been putting in working this COVID pandemic in the emergency department will pay off and a deal will come my way when I am ready to buy.

Last edited:

butcherboy

Retired Bum
Jul 4, 2007
escondido ca.
Name
tom cunningham
Boat
Compton 33 / Gig Harbor Whitehall rowboat
owned and ridden in both...both might be goats. I'd let condition be my guide. The few things they are not good at the other is not much better.

BrianBurchfield

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 26, 2018
Irvine
Name
Brian Burchfield
Boat
22’ Trophy CC
Never owned either, but ridden in both. I'd say they are similar but agree the Montauk pounds more.... Seems like your 1801 would be fine on majority of "decent" days or better for Cat...

Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
Apr 18, 2014
Open Ocean
Name
BajaLifeStyle
Boat
Parker 21
Key West 1720, KW 1900 Are amazing boats that don't pound or are wet boats for their size and affordability!

1801 if you have a chance, Montauk pound like a mofo

woolybugger

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 7, 2006
San pedro
Name
Aaron
Boat
Parker 1801 cc
I Own a 2015 1801 and a good friend had a 17 montauk. The Montauk is a great tough boat but the parker rides much better.
When you see a wave you think is going to pound on the Montauk it pounds most every time. On my parker i see something i think will pound it typically takes it very softly and surprises me.

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
Parker over BW....I never Got what folks see in a BW? And they cost Too Much! Just Sayn.
Totally agree. Although the other hull types are much better than the Montauk which IMO is a pile of crap in the open ocean.

PaDDy Killer'

May 9, 2008
Santa Clarita
Name
Patrick
Boat
Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
I have a 2006 17' Montauk and its a great boat for what I use it for, hooping and freshwater fishing. I feel super safe in the unsinkable whaler against the breakwall and what not. I did take it to the 150 when the yellows were biting out of long beach while parker was being serviced. Never again, we got our asses kicked coming back in with afternoon chop and wind. Go as big as you can.

got2fishsd

Jun 21, 2005
Oceanside
Name
Eric
Boat
Maritime 20d
Montauk. Put a dolphin fin on the motor. Really keeps the front end down. Doesn’t get the pounding. NEVER felt unsafe. Been out in some shitty conditions.
Parker - everything is too low nothing to hold onto and I’m short.

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Yours
I have a BW 190 Montauk with 60 gallon tank 8 ft Beam I hit Cat and SCI no problem with plenty of fuel left in the tank when we get home

Reactions: repo805

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
I have ridden in both and own a Montauk. You're comparing apples to oranges. You should be comparing an 18' Outrage which blows the Parker out of the water. Mattanza already provided some good reasons why.

I suppose you could use the Montauk 170 as another example. I'd still take the Montauk 170.

If you are adamant about comparing the two, the classic Montauk 17 is the most economical, versatile boat to operate in its size range.

You can easily launch it solo, tow it with your car, and everything is easily accessable on the boat. These boats can operate and plane efficiently with a 70hp motor.

Granted, you should not be offshore on some days but I have felt very comfortable 20 miles out on a good day. It will pound. It is a 17' 950lb boat. All boats that size pound. As mentioned above, a whale tale prevents porpoising which significantly helps the ride.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Parker 1801 but I do not think they are built as well as the classic whalers.

There is a reason that these boats appreciate in value over time. A class boats for sure.

If you're consistently fishing in unprotected ocean waters I would go with the 1801 over the Montauk. Although, @longboard85 has a 17' invader which is similar to the Montauk and he seems to go out with nothing getting in his way! If you like to freshwater fish, fish solo a lot and get a do everything anywhere boat, I'd pick up a Montauk. Good luck in your decision.

bazzturd

Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Gwendolyn
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at all kinds of shit now. Key West, Grady, Edgewater, Robalo, walk-around, CC and so on. Missed a couple good ones.

bazzturd

Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Gwendolyn
Okay, change it up. Anyone been on a Montauk 190 and Parker 1801. Throwing out the Montauk 170 idea. Well I did a while ago.