Parasites in Skipjack

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Kapdan, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Kapdan

Kapdan Kaptain

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    34 Pursuit "Kap Dan Du"
    I was prepping a few skipjack that I caught yesterday for smoking. I noticed what at first appeared to be some small strings of fat near the belly. They were about 1/4" long and white in color. I put a couple of them on the end of my finger I saw them moving. Parasites or worms? They were more prevalent in the belly area but I did see one or two in the loins. Freezing or cooking would most likely kill them but I was going to brine and smoke the fish. The yellowfin I was prepping next to the skipjack did not have any parasites. Is this common in skipjack? I decided it was not worth the risk and tossed them.

kapdan

2. OnoEric

OnoEric Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Grady White 208
    They are pretty common in skipjack for some reason. Every skipjack I've ever cut up has them in the belly meat. They are larval tapeworms, but I've been told they are unable to attach in humans. I just cut out the belly meat and toss it. Then slice up the rest of the meat thin enough so I can look through it to make sure there are no parasites in it before eating it raw. Cooking will kill them too, but cooked skipjack isn't all that good.

3. red_eyez

red_eyez Broke but love to fish..

Name:
    kevin
    Boat:
    The one I paid at Landing
    Buddy of mine caught a skippie couple of weeks ago said the same thing. He found what they looked like maggots inside the belly of skipjack. The dodo and yft he caught at the same day were all fine.

4. stuman

stuman Brawndo the thirst mutilator

Name:
    stu
    Boat:
    skiff
    I find it hard to eat the fish after I find worms. Salmon grouper can be full of parasites.

Basa at the market can have a lot as well.

I heard the wild salmon at Costco can have live parasites as well. Ck the fish before you purchase.

5. OnoEric

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Grady White 208
    You ever eaten a halibut? Those things are full of worms. Got to gut halibut quickly after they die otherwise the worms migrate all throughout the meat.

6. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    The organs are even more susceptible to parasites... Think about that next time you see someone eat the heart!!

7. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    People all fish can and do have worms. who ever told you that humans can't get them is full of shit. If you are going to fix ANY fish to eat raw you need to put the fillets out in the open air for about 20 min. and watch for worms coming out of them. If you cook your fish it is not a problem, cooking them kills the worms and you will never know they were there. Contrary to what a lot of people mistakenly think.... all the spice and crap you can put on them DOES NOT kill the worms. Don't believe me? call the dfg, health department or listen to your doc when he tells you that you have worms. I know several people who have gotten worms from eating raw fish that had all the spices added to it. It is no different than your dog getting them... well maybe a little... if your girlfriend starts dragging her ass accross the carpet like your dog does when he has worms, it doesn't mean that she has worms... but I would start looking for a new one and a good carpet cleaner

8. OnoEric

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Grady White 208
    That particular larval tapeworm will not survive in humans. That's what was told to me by a scientist at Scripps Institution of Oceanography who studies that stuff. That doesn't mean all worms can't be harmful. In general parasites that live in saltwater fish are not as harmful to humans as ones that live in freshwater fish. That particular one in skipjack is not harmful to humans. Pretty disgusting though. I still don't eat them. Nothing wrong with thinking other people are full of shit though...

9. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    well I happen to know four different people who have gotten worms from fish... in fact one girl shit out a six inch worm and took it to the doctor. they did the same thing they do for your dog and killed the worms. one of the guys worked for me, it gave him gas really bad and it smelled like something died. we were doing some drywall for cal trans and there were two electricians working on a rolling scaffold and Keith was doing his thing.. after about twenty minutes these guys came down and said they couldn't take it any more, said they never smelled anything like that. I had, it smelled like a week old dead body, it's a smell you will never forget.

10. OnoEric

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Grady White 208
    I'm not saying people don't get parasites from raw fish. What I'm saying is that particular larval tapeworm found in skipjack won't be one of them. I still don't knowingly eat them. I slice all raw fish thin enough so I can look through it to make sure I don't see any parasites.

11. lynndeva

lynndeva Fishing mom

Name:
    Debi
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal
    Exactly why I never will eat raw fish. I worked at a hospital in the O.R. for 10 years and a women they brought in for a scope because she had a persistent cough that antibiotics or other treatments were not working and she coughed up a worm in the holding/preop area and they pulled out more in surgery...after they did tests on the removed worms they narrowed it down the sushi/sashimi... along with that and working at a very Hi-end seafood restaurant in Boston and watching the cooks cleaning fresh fish everyday and watching them pull worms out of the fillets with tweezers....noooope! it help make up my mind..forever to never eat uncooked fish or even undercooked anything.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  12. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    and there you have it, beautiful and smart

13. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    I've had a cough going on 4 months now............no worms yet. I'm pretty sure I gave it to my wife and co-worker so that means it shouldn't be worms but it sure gets a guy to thinkin'. Wife's and co-workers went away already.

14. lynndeva

lynndeva Fishing mom

Name:
    Debi
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal
  15. armand

armand Newbie

Name:
    chucklehead
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Raider
    Overnight lemon juice or salt/sugar brine and smoke gets rid em, I hope. Thats the only way uncooked that I would eat em.

16. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    If you are going to fix ANY fish to eat raw you need to put the fillets out in the open air for about 20 min. and watch for worms coming out of them. If you cook your fish it is not a problem, cooking them kills the worms and you will never know they were there. Contrary to what a lot of people mistakenly think.... all the spice and crap you can put on them DOES NOT kill the worms. Don't believe me? call the dfg, health department or listen to your doc when he tells you that you have worms.

17. J.AkuHed

J.AkuHed I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Your boat!
    Mmmmm, skipjack aka Aku! Some Ono poke!

18. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    and parasite free.....a triple threat.

19. bluewaterbum

bluewaterbum Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    none
    Skipjack, starkist tuna and other bands is what you get in the can unless you get white meat tuna

Cooked worms, yummy

20. basilone

basilone Vamos Argentina!!!!!!

Name:
    basilio
    Boat:
    26 foot Regulator
    "well maybe a little... if your girlfriend starts dragging her ass accross the carpet like your dog does when he has worms, it doesn't mean that she has worms... but I would start looking for a new one and a good carpet cleaner"

JAJAJAJAAJJAAJJ DYING OVER HERE!!!!!!