Papio fishing?

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by wiegert, Sep 9, 2010.

1. wiegert

wiegert Nice Catch.

So I moved to Oahu back in June and I wanted to start fishing so I started with the simplest form and that was Oamas. I had fun but know I want to step it up a notch. Haha I know this sounds funny cuz most of you wouldn't consider Oama real fishing but I wanted to start from the basics and move up to the big ones.

So my question is really whats the next step after Oamas? Would it be fishing for Papio and Oio? What kind of gear would I need for this?

As much info you can give would be great. I love the sport as much as everyone else on here. Thanks!

2. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
  3. wiegert

wiegert Nice Catch.

You are the best! Thanks!

4. adobo

adobo sponsor by..Masalures.com

Name:
    sab
    Boat:
    19' glasspro
    buy yourself a boat, thats the next step

5. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    If you want to step up gradually, using those oama to catch papio would be the logical next step, I guess. A reasonably priced spinning setup like a Penn 650SSm reel matched to an 8' Penn graphite Slammer rod (~$150) and 25 lb test monofilament line will work. I like to free line live oama using a #5 AH hook tied directly to the mainline; no swivel and no lead weight. Just hang the bait straight down from a pier. Makai Pier near Sea Life Park, or the Haleiwa Harbor docks might be good places to start. This is a good time of year for papio fishing. The papio should be in, looking for halalu and oama. Good luck.

6. 808shorecaster

808shorecaster Member

A boat would make life a lot easier. I'm still working on getting my own boat. Papio and oio can be caught either from shore or by wading on the reefs. The flats area off of lagoon drive has lots of oio, papio and pao'pao but you'll either need a boat or a kayak to get to that flat. You could throw surface lures or strips of calamari for papio. First thing you need to figure out is where you'll be fishing, That will determine rod length, reel and line size. If you want to catch bigger fish and throw bigger suface plugs for ulua than you'll have to upgrade your gear accordingly.