thebigdog123

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 30, 2012
honolulu
Name
mike
Boat
none
OK. So Obama did it, quadrupled the size of the sanctuary. While I hate government overreach, I think I like his decision. Thinking selfishly, as a hook and line fisherman, my initial assessment is that this can only help us here in the main Hawaiian islands.
Denying the long line fleet access to prime areas, makes me think perhaps more fish might
be showing up here.
I honestly don't know the exact effect this will have on our local fleet, but they fought this thing pretty hard.
Anybody have any data on how the our tunas, bigeye and yellowfin, migrate to and from the NWHI? Seems like there is a constant local population of yellowfin that increases through the
summer months with the addition of migrating fish.

Cloulyday

Jun 12, 2014
Name
Fisherman
Boat
Power Boat
Your thinking "less is more"? That is that the displaced long liners won't be catching ahi before they get to our lures. Sure, makes sense, but those long liners will not simply disappear. They will be out there, perhaps even closer to home around the main Hawaiian islands.

You do raise some good questions about populations and migrations of tuna. Sad that those questions could not have been addressed with science before Obama signed it into law.

Bottom line, as fisherman we all lose when an area is closed.

thebigdog123

Jan 30, 2012
honolulu
Name
mike
Boat
none
He has just announced to the world that this section of ocean is open to all except the citizens of the United States of America.
I don't think so. Other nations are not allowed to fish it. Our exclusive economic zone extends out 200 miles around every rock and atoll, I believe.

Reactions: justfishin89

randay

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 11, 2010
hawaii
Name
randay
Boat
17.5 glasply
Longliners target bigeye. they set their hooks at depths around 300-400 feet. the longliners just dont catch the same fish that we do, its that simple. there will probably not be positive impact on the local troll fishery. there is only a direct negative impact on longline fishery and all the businesses that it supports or is supported by.

It also opens up the area to illegal fishing by foreign vessels. the area used to be monitored by our own fleet, but now they arent allowed to go in there. so that just leaves it up to the coastguard i guess. They probably have better things to do than babysit hundreds of square miles of open ocean. so its highly likely that there will be poaching going on.

In the end obama gets whatever it is that a guy who signs something that gets, all the supporters of the expansion get to feel good about themselves for saving the ocean/planet/turtles/whatever, longliners redirect the 5-10% of their efforts into other areas, everyone down the supply chain adjusts to the follow on effects and life goes on. the end.

Cloulyday

Jun 12, 2014
Name
Fisherman
Boat
Power Boat
I catch a lot of big eye. It is your "guess" that there will be an impact good or bad on the troll/handline fishery.

I agree with the rest of your comments. By the way it way the pew trust that pushed this thru.

Dropper Loop

Hana hou!
Mar 9, 2011
Oahu
Name
Uncle B
Boat
24 Funai
100 thousand pounds of longline fish everyday and price for local troll usually sucks. It's that simple.

randay

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 11, 2010
hawaii
Name
randay
Boat
17.5 glasply
I catch a lot of big eye. It is your "guess" that there will be an impact good or bad on the troll/handline fishery.

I agree with the rest of your comments. By the way it way the pew trust that pushed this thru.
yeah sorry i only thinking about oahu. maybe you guys will see more bigeye now, but if i had to guess on that i would also say not going change, but i hope you do.

yes you can say its the pew trust, but there was/is also a huge movement of ordinary people behind it. not that it matters at all what the people think, since the antiquities act precludes any public opinion. it wasnt our choice to make.

randay

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 11, 2010
hawaii
Name
randay
Boat
17.5 glasply
100 thousand pounds of longline fish everyday and price for local troll usually sucks. It's that simple.
I know thats how it seems to everyone, but if you spend the time and learn more about the market, youll find out thats completely false. like i said they arent catching the same fish as us.

thebigdog123

Jan 30, 2012
honolulu
Name
mike
Boat
none
We used to catch a lot of bigeye on the kona side of the big island. Last 2 years have sucked, just baby rats mostly. 6 or 8 years ago there was a huge push to clear the illegal fads. The state hauled out many dozens of the offshore pirate buoys and the Kona fishing fleet tuna catch improved immensely.
Everyone has their theories and I honestly don't know that the main Hawaiian islands will benefit or not. It's good to hear other views, because in the end we want the same thing, a healthy sustainable fishery and bloody decks.

popoki

Nov 20, 2009
Formerly of Hanapepe Kauai, now Honolulu
Name
Quintin
Boat
"Ho'oKele" 26 Alii Kai
I could possibly see the price for troll fish getting better... not sure how much but some. The real concern is the illegal foreign longliners. thye have in past fished around the NWHI and were in the past report on by local longliners to the respective authorities. Now they will go unchecked. Research has shown that alot of the "Ahi" we catch is atcually a local population,( I dont know the specific numbers) that is supported by the "roving population".
The foreign fleet has no regulation ie... they keep what they catch, this includes every manner of sea creature. Their unregulated fishing is bound to affect our roving population and as a result our mating population. heh ecological side of things
The absolute worst part is that we will undoubtedly be buying fish that should have been caught by "us" from them and sending our money out of state and country, this is the economic side of things

thebigdog123

Jan 30, 2012
honolulu
Name
mike
Boat
none
If foreign fleets enter our zone they should get the Indonesian treatment.
Confiscation, then destruction. If our fleet can't fish it nobody should be fishing it, aside from any Hawaiian cultural fishers that may get a free pass.
It would be interesting to hear how the USCG plans on enforcing the ban.

Reactions: justfishin89