Papa Heads

wisebob

Sep 19, 2009
honolulu, hi
Name
bob
Boat
smallsize kine
My papa head cracked at the top front for some reason so I dremelled it down to create a bigger slant face. Kind of thought the original cut looked small anyhow.

Anyone else try a bigger cut on it yet?

bob

navyaircrew

Jun 27, 2007
Trollin' Dirty 96744
Name
Scott
Boat
2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
It's a narrow design for better trolling... here's something with his heads... Take a wide mouth cup... get a long straight skewer stick, like what you make shiskabob's out of... then just take the head and put the skewer through the brass pipe where the line runs through... then set all that inside the cup... what you do is watch the head balance itself inside the cup pivoting on the skewer... following... you'll ALL see them with a slant... that is how he designs them to run... at a sideways angle as if it were injured... so if it slants left run it on the left outrigger.. slant right, right outrigger... they are all hand balanced and hand sanded down... he puts alot of time into each one... if it's cracked, it got swacked pretty good by something... i've seen some from when the fish is caught and just thrown in the box with the lure still attached... Mahi trashing around, just banged around the lure...

cheehuli

May 22, 2009
Kaneohe Hi.
Name
Chase
Boat
24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
My papa head cracked at the top front for some reason so I dremelled it down to create a bigger slant face. Kind of thought the original cut looked small anyhow.

Anyone else try a bigger cut on it yet?

bob
The original cut is perfect. Thats what makes it run so good in choppy water....that and the weight to it. If you goin chop papas lures....might as well jus buy a matsu.

wisebob

Sep 19, 2009
honolulu, hi
Name
bob
Boat
smallsize kine
The original cut is perfect. Thats what makes it run so good in choppy water....that and the weight to it. If you goin chop papas lures....might as well jus buy a matsu.
We'll see how my modified papa works. I only "chop"ed it because a chunk on the top front where the slant is was gone. When it catches something, I'll post a pic. I've run it a few times since I got it and it hasn't gotten a good strike yet (though the missing chunk could have been caused by a fish). I'm not blaming the lure design at all since a large part of fishing is whether or not the fish is out there and if they are biting.

For instance, I went out about two weeks ago for a quick 2 hour run with my friend. Ran two lines not expecting much and came back by 10 am with two nice sized Onos (28 and 18 lbs) and a small Mahi. This was not with papa but I hope my papa becomes just as dependable.

bob

Attachments

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
I have caught alot of big marlin on odagiri and matsu green fish heads...from 7" to 14"...the lures, that is...

tight lines,

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Ah,jus wat your pops and mista would say when I fished with them.sure enouh their lures would catch fish!!!!!!!!
Yup, some of their lures look like they've been thru hell and back. Used and abused more like :rofl:

navyaircrew

Jun 27, 2007
Trollin' Dirty 96744
Name
Scott
Boat
2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
yes..... He doesn't mass produce them... however, he's always working on some here and there to try to keep ahead.... if you have a request, ask J&E to call him and put in a order...

keverly

Oct 16, 2010
Hilo
Name
Ken
Boat
20 foot BW outrage
thanks Scott, i will call J & E back tomorrow and ask them. I called all the shops here on the big island as well as POP and Nanko's today but no luck. The weather here sucks so i gotta do something fishing related besides read old posts here.