Panga fishing San Jose and San Lucas - Fishing Report 9/2-9/7/21

tunastuna

• Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Here's a quick report summary of panga fishing out of San Jose del Cabo and San Lucas.

9/2: Our first day. We fished out of San Jose with "El Brujo". We loaded up with sardinas at the San Jose marina and headed north to the Iman bank. The small tuna that had consistently been at the bank a few days prior were no longer there or hungry for sardinas. However, there was plenty of skipjack on the grounds. We quickly caught skipjack. We bridled two skipjack and went trolling for either a big tuna or big marlin. After a about an hour or so of trolling had one sailfish enter the spread and try to eat the skip jack. We pitched a cabalito to it. Sailfish took both the skipjack and cabalito for runs but didn't hook on either. Within the next hour or so we got a big bite and large run. We set the hook only for the leader to be cut. We were fishing 300lb leader. The captain thinks it was a big shark because of the ease it was cut and where it was cut on the leader.

Went back to Iman bank to catch more skipjack. When we arrived we threw out sardinas for skipjack. Had a striped marlin rise and feed on the sardinas. Couldn't get the marlin interested in a cabalito. Caught some more live bait and slow trolled to the south towards punta gorda. Caught on small Dorado to the end day. Fishing was tough. Very hot and humid weather, normal swell from the south. Slight breeze. For some reason the fish just turned off. Fishing was tough for all the pangas out of San Jose on this day.

9/3: Our second day. Again fishing with "El Brujo" out of San Jose. This morning no sardinas were available at the marina. They simply just disappeared this morning. We left with a different type of minnow, which were very small and would quickly die in the bait tank. I don't remember the name . Once we arrived at Iman, we used the dead minnows for bait. Catching skipjack was easy. There were so many. We again begin trolling bridled live skip jack. While at Iman bank we spot a very large marlin jumping in the distance. We trolled in that direction hoping to catch it. After about two hours of slow trolling, we get a big bite. We set the hook and the line goes limp. The line was broken / cut above the barrel swivel. We again were fishing 300 lb leader with about 15 ft length. We continue to slow troll our single skip jack. We begin to rig up a new leader. While doing so we get another big bite. This time the hook sets and nothing is broken. We were hoping for a big black marlin, At first it appeared that is what we had because the fish ran on the surface however without jumping. Finally after about a 15 minutes, the fish began the typical tuna dive fighting style. We knew we had a tuna on but wasn't sure how big. It certainly wasn't a football. We fought this tuna for about 1 hr and 40 minutes, and finally get it in the boat. Exhausted and happy we begin the voyage back to the marina. Don't want the fish to spoil in the hot and humid conditions. A local at the marina had a scale. It weighed 154 lbs on his scale, no idea of the accuracy.

9/4: Our third day we head back to the Iman bank. This time we get sardinas but not from the marina. We met the sardinero up north. Today we are going to try something different. The idea was to catch some big pargo using skipjack as bait. Skipjack again were plentiful at Iman. Very easy to catch. We send the disabled skipjack down over the high spot. We get some monster bites from pargo but our hooks always miss the mouth. Boat next to us was luckier and ended up with 3. Pargo bite died down after a while. We caught two more skipjack for live bait trolling hoping for a big black marlin and hoping the big tuna stay away. We were tired from the fish before and the heat was brutal. Ended up the day skunked. Tough fishing for all pangas and cruisers out of San Jose. Big fish for the day was the pargo. Nobody having much luck at all.

9/5: Took the day off. However "El Brujo" told us the fishing has turned back on. They fished at Vinorama. Quite a few tuna landed. Two big marlin landed, one black and one blue. Largest reported to be north of 500lbs.

9/6: Supposed to have this day off. Encouraged by the previous days report, we decide to go out. We can't go with "El Brujo" but instead his friend Ceasar. All pangas and crusiers head north to Vinorama. Tuna are breezing and feeding on the live bait. Every third boat appears to pick off a tuna. Tuna bite dies down around 930 am. We didn't end up with any tuna but one instead got a small dorado. No skipjack to be found. We troll lures to the south. We find the fleet again at Iman bank. Striped marlin are actively feeding on sardinas on the surface. They are very line shy. We try a cabalito. We get a good long run and set the hook. Fight the marlin for about 5 minutes and then it gets off. It was a beautiful site to watch the little marlin heard the sardinas and feed on the surface. The marlin were small, maybe between 80 -100lbs. Nice morning with action, we just were unlucky. We ended up with another dorado trolling a ballyhoo around the fleet at Iman during the marlin feeding.

9/7: Our final day of fishing was with Jaime with Jessica Supportfishing out of San Lucas. Like always, he was at the marina waiting with a big smile.
    This guy truly loves his job and fishing. He's a Gem for sure. We head up the pacific to the Margarita area and being trolling feathers for dorado. In the days leading up to this day the dorado showed up and the winds have laid down some allowing the boats onto the pacifc side. Within 10 minutes of trolling we hook up on 3 dorado. We troll feathers for about an hour or so. We stop counting at 15 dorado. Multiple double hook ups. It was an epic morning. We were enjoying the constant action, jumping dorado in the morning light and cooler conditions on the pacific.
    We being trolling lures towards the San Jaime bank. The winds and seas lay down enough for us to head out there. The water temp dropped to 81 degrees and not much sign of life. No knock downs or sightings. We troll back to the margarita area. Instead of feathers we slow troll cabalito. We get a big bull in the spread. He takes a few of them but always manages to spit the hook. A few sharks enter the spread. One will NOt leave us alone and finally gets hooked on a belly strip. the baby hammerhead fights well. We cut the line and send him on this way. We have another few dorado hit the live baits. We catch one. A great day, more than 20 dorado landed, all of them released except for two. We already have plenty of fish.

Overall, fishing has been different this year. I think the incredibly hot air temps near North California and Oregon have caused some issues for fishing for Baja Sur. The summer was tough fishing to put it lightly. It appeared the fishing might be heading in the right direction, now in September. I hope this report is helpful for those going to Baja California Sur in the near future.

tunastuna

• Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Thanks for the report. How was the fishing gear aboard El Brujo? I’m headed to SJDC end of the month and will be looking for a panga to fish.
    His fishing gear is in good condition. I bring my own rods and reels and fishing gear. He definitely has gear for small live baits (sardines and cabalito). However, If your goal is big marlin or tuna, I suggest your bring your own leaders and hooks.

He has two pangas. While we were there, he discovered water in the outboard engine (transmission) of his primary panga. He put his second back up panga in the water while his first is getting repaired. His second panga suffered some sort of engine damage on 9/7. He already has lots of bookings for October. I hope he can get one of the pangas repaired soon. COVID has affected repair personnel and parts suppliers. Let me know if you need his number.

Twin_Guns21
    Twin_Guns21
    Can you share El Brujo's contact info with me? Trying to get a panga for one day before going deep sea on the following three days.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report/pics/info Diego and NICE FISH. Glad you got some!
    Love fishing out of San Jose Del Cabo years ago...before there was a Marina. Beach cove launched Pangas. Crazy good fishing.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    That's a great write up brother. Thanks for taking the time...and the picts.

I know I just me tinned this in another post on marlin fishing..... but Brother.... there is nothing like holding the rubber band in your hand Hawaiian style.... slow trolling that live Skippy. Many times they don't do this.... but when there's a fish close..... man nothing like that bait "telegraph". Its a "hair raiser" for sure.

J R Cordova

Dec 18, 2016
    Reno nv
    Name
    J r Cordova
    Boat
    None
    Been fishing SJC for about 6 yrs. I have a guy Carilto his panga is one of the smaller ones but this kid is good! i troll with my fly rod and for several years he would say I thought that marlin, Mahi, etc was going to take the the fly! I finally asked him, because I really as of late and with more experience been looking and I don’t see them,and he told me that the water changes just before the bite! This kid is good and he has actually been deck hand with Jammie in Cabo on the bigger boats. As far as staying,the Barcelo will be one of the cheaper all inclusive hotel, food not so good but you afford to eat out after your catch, also La Marina inn is just across the street of the harbor and suppose to have great food. For eating habaneros restaurant downtown does an excellent job for $15.00 a plate. If you want a really really nice meal Cabo Azul is 1 hotel down from Barcelona and is a beach bar and restaurant. Remember that the Cucumber Jalapeño Margaritas at both places go with fresh catch like red wine with a steak. First picture is Cabo Azul second is Habaneros

BE0DC0DE-F628-4867-AB59-31FA188DC39A.jpeg

C4E5CAB2-AD95-4307-A56C-E710F41FF8DE.jpeg

Upvote 0

mulegemike

May 7, 2012
    Mission Viejo
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Skipjack 262 "Pescadero"
    Thanks for the great detailed report. Hopefully more tuna start showing up on the Iman soon. That’s a beauty you got great fish!

Upvote 0

bays90

Mar 17, 2010
    Kailua-Kona HI USA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
    great report, we were down spent more of our time outside looking for marlin we had our shots 9 bites in 3 days, lost 3 blues one Sail one Stripe and 1 black and 3 mystery bites, definitely rubber hooks, we had a2 blues and the strip almost to the boat. the fish are around everything was from the Gordo to the San Luis outside. I am sure Olaf disrupted plenty we will be back down Thursday.

Upvote 0

J R Cordova

Dec 18, 2016
    Reno nv
    Name
    J r Cordova
    Boat
    None
    Been fishing SJC for about 6 yrs. I have a guy Carilto his panga is one of the smaller ones but this kid is good! i troll with my fly rod and for several years he would say I thought that marlin, Mahi, etc was going to take the the fly! I finally asked him, because I really as of late and with more experience been looking and I don’t see them,and he told me that the water changes just before the bite! This kid is good and he has actually been deck hand with Jammie in Cabo on the bigger boats. As far as staying,the Barcelo will be one of the cheaper all inclusive hotel, food not so good but you afford to eat out after your catch, also La Marina inn is just across the street of the harbor and suppose to have great food. For eating habaneros restaurant downtown does an excellent job for $15.00 a plate. If you want a really really nice meal Cabo Azul is 1 hotel down from Barcelona and is a beach bar and restaurant. Remember that the Cucumber Jalapeño Margaritas at both places go with fresh catch like red wine with a steak. First picture is Cabo Azul second is Habaneros

View attachment 1317520

View attachment 1317521

View attachment 1317520

View attachment 1317521

Upvote 0