Panga Fishing Los Cabos - Cow Tuna

tunastuna

Nov 13, 2015
Houston, texas
Name
Diego
Boat
none wishing
The tuna on the other hand.... so hard to say without actual length... Why a guy would not just tape the fish and know the pretty close weight is always amazing to me.... Let’s say the fish is 65-70” long.... not sure, since I don’t know how tall grandma is.... Then that fish is not real fat, so the girth?!? 48-52”.......

Without doing the math the fish is probably 180-220....

I’ve seen guys posting fish the size of your claiming it was 400lbs...

Look at the photos above of the fish that are 270lbs & 290 lb..... See the serious girth and length...?

You already said the tuna wasn't 250, now it's creeping up from 160-180 to 180-220lbs.

We know where you stand on the tuna, anywhere from 160-220lbs, what's your guess for Senor Stuna?

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    You didn't need to know the length of the fish to tell everyone it was not 250 lbs but more like 160-180 lbs.

Why do you need to know my height, when it clearly wasn't needed for the fish?

How heavy do you think I am? Come on, show us your prowess at guessing weights. It's not hard. You have nothing to lose. Who knows you might be right about both or wrong about both.

For the fish, I looked at the two guys holding it up and you were off to the left significantly taller than those two gents, so I guessed the fish at around 68” with average girth, and that is not a 250lb fish.... As I previously stated I am 6’2” and both of my 250’s were taller than me.... I have seen hundreds of cows and seen them taped with great accuracy... I estimate based on what I suspect the length is...

You may be a big corn bread eating Texan and that will change the length of this fish or you weight.. 😀. But.... since we are having fun, if I assume the gun-whale height around 24-25” and it hits you in the thigh... triple that you may be 6’3”ish.... medium build... pot belly like me 😀..... I’m 225 and thinner than you.... guessing you are 260-280..... Best Sherlock Holmes I got for ya..... Shit... you may be 6’8” and then you’re over 300.....

Fish are easier to guess than pajama wearing grandma’s....

It’s all in fun bro! You had a great trip, I just doubt your fish was over 250.... I have also fished that area many times and had experience of them adding some extra weight because everybody likes a bigger fish...

Upvote 0

Charlie Plum

Jan 6, 2017
    Minnesota
    Name
    Charlie Plum
    Boat
    Carlos
    Well...let’s see....Since you asked...
    There’s a picture of you fighting it sitting on a cooler with no harness, while the other guys are stand-up battling in the Black Magic, add-in that it’s really about a 160-180 lbs
    but we’ll allow you the “San Clemente Mark-up” of 200....punching-in those numbers on my calculator means you’re responsible for about 20% of the total fight and that’s 200x .20= 40
    so you can claim credit for “personally catching” about a 40lb
    fish....sound about right? You said you wanted to “have some fun with this” didn’t you? lol
    They call me a Burro Senor, but not because of my ears 😂

You sir are a jackass.

#1 If Captain Jaime said the one that got away was 250lb , I’d bet my life it was 242-258.

#2 These guys had a day of a lifetime 16 hrs on boat.

This sport takes a lot of teamwork and is a learned experience. Trial and error. Something is up your ass the wrong way

The reason we fish is for fun, unadulterated pleasure. Adios Senor

Reactions: smokinwater
    Upvote 0

jbarbosa

Oct 24, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Visit site
    Name
    John "Rio" Barbosa
    Boat
    cabo panga
    Hey Chuckie....or Burro Plum or whatever the f$ck your name is....
    NOBODY here is talkin about the one he LOST..... You should LEARN TO READ..!!! We’re writing about the one IN THE PICTURE THAT THEY CAUGHT..!!!!!.......DUMBO...!!!!

Upvote 0

Charlie Plum

Jan 6, 2017
    Minnesota
    Name
    Charlie Plum
    Boat
    Carlos
    NOBODY here is talkin about the one he LOST..... You should LEARN TO READ..!!! We’re writing about the one IN THE PICTURE THAT THEY CAUGHT..!!!!!.......DUMBO...!!!!
    Ok mr positive ! You’re just a negative creep trying to downplay someone’s epic trip. The fish in the picture isn’t a cow? You’re right! Quit pissing on people and their good times .

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Ok mr positive ! You’re just a negative creep trying to downplay someone’s epic trip. The fish in the picture isn’t a cow? You’re right! Quit pissing on people and their good times .

Charlie, they are claiming the one in the picture is over 250 lbs.... not just a cow.... A cow only needs to make 200... they are saying the one in the picture was over 250lbs.... get it?.. they are claiming the one lost was even bigger than the 250 lb fish in the picture....

They had a great trip, no one is taking away from that! They had an epic trip and nice grade tuna... that fish was not over 250lbs....

Reactions: jbarbosa
    Upvote 0

tunastuna

Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    For the fish, I looked at the two guys holding it up and you were off to the left significantly taller than those two gents, so I guessed the fish at around 68” with average girth, and that is not a 250lb fish.... As I previously stated I am 6’2” and both of my 250’s were taller than me.... I have seen hundreds of cows and seen them taped with great accuracy... I estimate based on what I suspect the length is...

You may be a big corn bread eating Texan and that will change the length of this fish or you weight.. 😀. But.... since we are having fun, if I assume the gun-whale height around 24-25” and it hits you in the thigh... triple that you may be 6’3”ish.... medium build... pot belly like me 😀..... I’m 225 and thinner than you.... guessing you are 260-280..... Best Sherlock Holmes I got for ya..... Shit... you may be 6’8” and then you’re over 300.....

Fish are easier to guess than pajama wearing grandma’s....

It’s all in fun bro! You had a great trip, I just doubt your fish was over 250.... I have also fished that area many times and had experience of them adding some extra weight because everybody likes a bigger fish...
    Good Morning Mr. G-Spot,

I'm 5'10" and 285 lbs. I'm shorter and way stockier than your guess, it's not from working out either.

I sincerely think that tuna's fork length would easily tape around 71 inches.

Despite the poor photos, the tuna was fat and had girth. The same poor photos didn't show my girth as well. I'm clearly not a medium build guy. I'm on the heavy side.

Just goes to show estimating the weight of fish or people from dimly lit cell phone photos on the internet isn't very accurate. However it is a good way to troll and just $hit post.

Looking forward to you fishing report from your upcoming trip to Mexico! Are you leaving this Friday, tomorrow?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tunastuna

Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing

Good Morning John,

Thanks for stirring the pot again. See your ignoring the question about estimating my height and size from the same set of photos. You wouldn't do it because you know you'd be wrong. Anyways, your cohort played the game and was way off.

Thought you'd enjoy these vintage photos of a chicken dorado caught with Ramon out of Palmilla on the marisela (SP?) around May of 1998.

IMG_20201006_135626-L.jpg

Diego%27s_dorado-M.jpg

Was this before or after Cabo was fished out?

Have a good one!

Upvote 0

tunastuna

Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing

@Charlie Plum ,

You got that right. G-Spot and jbarbosa are just here to piss on everything. As far as I can tell they both love to complain about fishing in Mexico. It's either been fished out for decades or they complain about the prices for pangas and how BD ruined everything. They have a few hundred posts between them and maybe a few trip reports, despite one of them fishing mexico 2-3 times per year. Their bitterness and jealous can't keep them away when someone else goes out and has a trip of a lifetime. They just have to barge in and say I'm totally wrong about the size of a tuna, a cow nonetheless.

I've learned my lesson. I should have not put the "+" symbol in a single sentence in my original report. Furthermore, unless I get a fish weighed by a certified scale, I won't post an estimated weight. I'll post a photo of the scale certificate (ensure it's within the past year) and then the weight of the fish to satisfy the great internet pescadors and captians.

For those still reading, I recommend trying Capt Jaime. He clearly loves to fish for cow tuna and has caught plenty. Our first outing with him was simply amazing. Him and Charlie always took my calls and questions in preparation for the trip. I only get to fish Cabo once a year so I try to maximize my fishing time. The stars aligned and it paid off.

Give him or Augustin a try, especially if you enjoy fishing out of pangas and their added adventure. These are some serious fishermen.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    @Charlie Plum ,

You got that right. G-Spot and jbarbosa are just here to piss on everything. As far as I can tell they both love to complain about fishing in Mexico. It's either been fished out for decades or they complain about the prices for pangas and how BD ruined everything. They have a few hundred posts between them and maybe a few trip reports, despite one of them fishing mexico 2-3 times per year. Their bitterness and jealous can't keep them away when someone else goes out and has a trip of a lifetime. They just have to barge in and say I'm totally wrong about the size of a tuna, a cow nonetheless.

I've learned my lesson. I should have not put the "+" symbol in a single sentence in my original report. Furthermore, unless I get a fish weighed by a certified scale, I won't post an estimated weight. I'll post a photo of the scale certificate (ensure it's within the past year) and then the weight of the fish to satisfy the great internet pescadors and captians.

For those still reading, I recommend trying Capt Jaime. He clearly loves to fish for cow tuna and has caught plenty. Our first outing with him was simply amazing. Him and Charlie always took my calls and questions in preparation for the trip. I only get to fish Cabo once a year so I try to maximize my fishing time. The stars aligned and it paid off.

Give him or Augustin a try, especially if you enjoy fishing out of pangas and their added adventure. These are some serious fishermen.

Well, you are an idiot apparently that can’t read... You won’t find posts about how BD ruined it, that it’s fished out for decades, or complaining about the price of pangas, by me. I own a boat and it is in Mexico.... I love fishing Mexico and have been doing it for 25 years or so.... I was there in June, July, August and I am flying out tomorrow morning.... So.... I must really hate that place....

I have fished many pangas and know the pricing and have paid up to $900 for one day on a panga. Captain Lora out of Punta Mita is a premier fisherman and charges for it! I have fished pangas 50 or more times.... too many times to keep count... So you can keep your whacky made up bullshit about me and my feelings on Mexico fishing... I never made it personal, so don’t be a douche..

I tried many times to say your trip was awesome and you had an epic trip... That fish was not 250, or 250 plus.... look above at the photos of giant tuna and clearly see even from shitty photos how big they are... Fisherman are notorious at adding a little to their fish... The captains in Mexico have done it with me as well... I tape a fish and can tell you pretty close...

You posted what you were told... it wasn’t malicious.... I am just one of the peanut gallery... The other guys posted those pictures above to show you what a real jumbo looks like... They were telling you the same thing without words... You had a great trip and caught a nice fish..

I have honest posts and have had a few experiences where I had a less than great trip and have shared details... The high school popularity contest does raise its head sometimes.... Sometimes a good fishing operation can have a shitty trip and give shitty service.... It happens... I’ve also paid a lot for a boat ride before... it happens...

Last edited:
    Reactions: jbarbosa
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Good Morning John,

Thanks for stirring the pot again. See your ignoring the question about estimating my height and size from the same set of photos. You wouldn't do it because you know you'd be wrong. Anyways, your cohort played the game and was way off.

Thought you'd enjoy these vintage photos of a chicken dorado caught with Ramon out of Palmilla on the marisela (SP?) around May of 1998.

IMG_20201006_135626-L.jpg

Diego%27s_dorado-M.jpg

Was this before or after Cabo was fished out?

Have a good one!

Interesting.... you stated above that I played the game of guessing your weight and was way off.... I guessed 260-280...... you stated you are 285...... way off? I was within 5 pounds of your weight... I did get your height wrong, but maybe that was the angle...

You also state that you are 5’10”.... the fish is not as tall as you, but you think the length of the fish is 71”..... maybe you should look at your own photo.... the fork on that tail is not taller than you.... hmm....

Upvote 0

tunastuna

Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Interesting.... you stated above that I played the game of guessing your weight and was way off.... I guessed 260-280...... you stated you are 285...... way off? I was within 5 pounds of your weight... I did get your height wrong, but maybe that was the angle...

You also state that you are 5’10”.... the fish is not as tall as you, but you think the length of the fish is 71”..... maybe you should look at your own photo.... the fork on that tail is not taller than you.... hmm....

I'll I'm saying is providing estimates based on poor cell phones images is probably way less accurate than an estimate in the flesh by experienced captain(s). Hence the 80lb range for the fish and 20 lbs for me and gross exaggeration of my height. Barging in and saying that's not X it's Y adds nothing, except confirms your just a bitter person. If I was going on my own fishing trip I surely wouldn't be messing around trying to get the last word in on a fish caught 3 weeks ago.

The only fish picture I've seen you post is the 131 lb your wife caught.

I estimate a slightly longer length because the fish is bending and not 100% vertical / straight. We played hell trying to get it to stand up as best as possible. Also the length accounts for the girth. It's not flat between the mouth and the tail. Same could be said there's a difference between the top of my head and my feet from behind and the front. The measurement from the front will be longer than from behind because of my belly.

Who cares, 70, 71, 68, 67... Does it change the experience? Does it make you feel better as a captain?

You and jbarosa caught me red handed trying to pull a fast one on the entire world! As my penance, I shall not make another weight or size claim for 9 months.

Oh well, have fun fishing, again can't wait to read your report and seeing all your taped fish and certified scales as 100% proof before making any false statements on the internet. Tight lines.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    I'll I'm saying is providing estimates based on poor cell phones images is probably way less accurate than an estimate in the flesh by experienced captain(s). Hence the 80lb range for the fish and 20 lbs for me and gross exaggeration of my height. Barging in and saying that's not X it's Y adds nothing, except confirms your just a bitter person. If I was going on my own fishing trip I surely wouldn't be messing around trying to get the last word in on a fish caught 3 weeks ago.

The only fish picture I've seen you post is the 131 lb your wife caught.

I estimate a slightly longer length because the fish is bending and not 100% vertical / straight. We played hell trying to get it to stand up as best as possible. Also the length accounts for the girth. It's not flat between the mouth and the tail. Same could be said there's a difference between the top of my head and my feet from behind and the front. The measurement from the front will be longer than from behind because of my belly.

Who cares, 70, 71, 68, 67... Does it change the experience? Does it make you feel better as a captain?

You and jbarosa caught me red handed trying to pull a fast one on the entire world! As my penance, I shall not make another weight or size claim for 9 months.

Oh well, have fun fishing, again can't wait to read your report and seeing all your taped fish and certified scales as 100% proof before making any false statements on the internet. Tight lines.

Yep.. you got me... I’m a bitter person... if it makes you feel better... You don’t see a lot of reports from me, because I don’t feel the need to post all my trips.... The last couple trips we did fine.... June was a 130, July was a 160, two at 60, and 4 schoolies.... August we got grounded by Hurricane Genevieve...... Hopefully this trip is epic!

Upvote 0

tunastuna

Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Well, you are an idiot apparently that can’t read... You won’t find posts about how BD ruined it, that it’s fished out for decades, or complaining about the price of pangas, by me. I own a boat and it is in Mexico.... I love fishing Mexico and have been doing it for 25 years or so.... I was there in June, July, August and I am flying out tomorrow morning.... So.... I must really hate that place....

I have fished many pangas and know the pricing and have paid up to $900 for one day on a panga. Captain Lora out of Punta Mita is a premier fisherman and charges for it! I have fished pangas 50 or more times.... too many times to keep count... So you can keep your whacky made up bullshit about me and my feelings on Mexico fishing... I never made it personal, so don’t be a douche..

I tried many times to say your trip was awesome and you had an epic trip... That fish was not 250, or 250 plus.... look above at the photos of giant tuna and clearly see even from shitty photos how big they are... Fisherman are notorious at adding a little to their fish... The captains in Mexico have done it with me as well... I tape a fish and can tell you pretty close...

You posted what you were told... it wasn’t malicious.... I am just one of the peanut gallery... The other guys posted those pictures above to show you what a real jumbo looks like... They were telling you the same thing without words... You had a great trip and caught a nice fish..

I have honest posts and have had a few experiences where I had a less than great trip and have shared details... The high school popularity contest does raise its head sometimes.... Sometimes a good fishing operation can have a shitty trip and give shitty service.... It happens... I’ve also paid a lot for a boat ride before... it happens...
    G-spot, jarbosa your fellow bitter friend is the one complaining about Cabo being fished out for decades and all the "trophies" are gone.

G-spot, it's ok you don't remember all your posts since you post so much. But look at what I found! Your own words, from PV fishing.. Good, Bad and Ugly.

I get so tired of the game when I go to Mexico, I have almost quit fishing when I come down here... I can barely squeeze in a trip each time I come... Back in May I went to Cabo and it was a shit show... Now in PV similar results... Not sure what the answer is, but I really think the game is ruining the fishing, and the BD Hype is also hurting the fishing... These guys are getting greedy, don't be afraid to walk around the docks and negotiate for a good boat, look at their gear, and don't pay until the day of your trip some guys hang out on the docks and will sell you a trip on a boat that is not theirs.....

It has been standard advice, but not all guys have gotten that. Additionally, since the internet and sites like BD, there have been many who take the advice of others on the site and over pay based upon the hype.... Maybe $750.00 a day for a panga isn't overpriced to some, but to me it seems ridiculous....

If that's not bitching about bloody deck "ruining" things and prices for pangas, I don't know what is? Looks like you've been complaining about fishing in Mexico since at least 2014.

Here's some more bitching from your last fish report went fishing PV last week...

...It is what it is, but just make sure your expectations are not too high. The three captains mentioned above come with very high BD recommendations and make posts on the Mexican pages. Many guys won’t tell the truth for fear that the cool crowd will jump on you... we had a great time, we were on vacation and non of this stopped us from enjoying our time, but if you plan on fishing Mexico understand where you’re going and understand they will tell you whatever you need to hear to steal your money...

You admit to paying $900 for a panga but also state paying $750 is ridiculous. Which is it?

Finally, why am I arguing with someone who freely admits to paying $900 for a panga. That's just plain stupid. What a sucker!

Have fun on your trip. Hopefully you don't get taken by those lying greedy Mexicans while you're down there! Or maybe you're into that since you return so often? we'll never know.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    G-spot, jarbosa your fellow bitter friend is the one complaining about Cabo being fished out for decades and all the "trophies" are gone.

G-spot, it's ok you don't remember all your posts since you post so much. But look at what I found! Your own words, from PV fishing.. Good, Bad and Ugly.

If that's not bitching about bloody deck "ruining" things and prices for pangas, I don't know what is? Looks like you've been complaining about fishing in Mexico since at least 2014.

Here's some more bitching from your last fish report went fishing PV last week...

You admit to paying $900 for a panga but also state paying $750 is ridiculous. Which is it?

Finally, why am I arguing with someone who freely admits to paying $900 for a panga. That's just plain stupid. What a sucker!

Have fun on your trip. Hopefully you don't get taken by those lying greedy Mexicans while you're down there! Or maybe you're into that since you return so often? we'll never know.

Those Racist inflammatory words are yours not mine....

I said the “game” almost ruins it sometimes.... And BD hype contributes.... Sharing an honest experience as I stated above... Nowhere did I say All the other bullshit... You’re a drama queen and manipulative person...

Prices depending on what, where and how many hours... Read my honest feedback above for the guy asking for prices...

you are a master manipulator of words, you must work for CNN... talk about who’s bitter.... sorry your fish was too small...

Upvote 0

tunastuna

Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Those Racist inflammatory words are yours not mine....

I said the “game” almost ruins it sometimes.... And BD hype contributes.... Sharing an honest experience as I stated above... Nowhere did I say All the other bullshit... You’re a drama queen and manipulative person...

Prices depending on what, where and how many hours... Read my honest feedback above for the guy asking for prices...

you are a master manipulator of words, you must work for CNN... talk about who’s bitter.... sorry your fish was too small...

Some more of your words from one of your rare fishing reports. It seems like most of your Mexico fishing reports have a complaining theme

...The Mexican mentality is much different than ours...

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Some more of your words from one of your rare fishing reports. It seems like most of your Mexico fishing reports have a complaining theme

Wow you found a 12 year old post with truthful information... You must work for CNN...

This is big news for you? You can use the search feature, you must be proud... Internet bully because you’re fish was too small...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

jo0331

May 10, 2021
    Santa Ana
    Name
    Jo
    Boat
    Panga
    Can someone shoot me Captain Jaime’s contact info. I go down to SJDC twice a year for tuna, wahoo and dorado. Would love to go out with him sometime in the future. Maybe can squeeze in a 3rd trip this year. I’m usually down there Sept, Oct or Nov. Thanks

Upvote 0