Panga Fishing Los Cabos - Cow Tuna

Charlie Plum

Jan 6, 2017
Minnesota
Name
Charlie Plum
Boat
Carlos
Agree.....The one they’re holding looked 165-175 at the MOST to me..
The one they lost...? Well.... we all know the local captains down there apply that “San Clemente Mark-up”..... I think it’s part of their
Metric system..... Fish-Metric System....... :)

FD5F6D41-5A38-47A2-BFEE-01F964E8DD49.jpeg

AE569956-8ABE-45D0-A3B9-45078C4DEF0E.jpeg

13623FBB-7A33-49E0-B878-7BD0F7A66475.jpeg

Upvote 0

Charlie Plum

Jan 6, 2017
Minnesota
Name
Charlie Plum
Boat
Carlos
Here’s a couple I caught this past year with Captain Jaime Gonzalez Jr . We know what a cow is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie Plum

Jan 6, 2017
Minnesota
Name
Charlie Plum
Boat
Carlos
Agree.....The one they’re holding looked 165-175 at the MOST to me..
The one they lost...? Well.... we all know the local captains down there apply that “San Clemente Mark-up”..... I think it’s part of their
Metric system..... Fish-Metric System....... :)
one was 292 gutted and filled before weighing in at 292 on the scale at Fisherman’s landing . This last year 5 cows of 244 or bigger and just only one super cow. I’m starting to be able to recognize the size of the fish. We charge $475 a day on the twin engine center console which jaime won the Pelagic Rockstar Tuna Tournament on last year for largest fish
81CEC74D-E7D1-4159-B363-3545115719BF.jpeg
F5B9B360-C17D-4457-866A-932BC62B6675.jpeg
81CEC74D-E7D1-4159-B363-3545115719BF.jpeg

Upvote 0

sammyvelvet

Aug 8, 2013
long beach
Name
sammy
Boat
no
I have fished Loreto , La Paz , San Jose , Cabo .... it seems to average between $200 - $250 per day for a 6 hour trip. Then you have Food , Drinks , Bait , Ice , and Tip ... so figure you will spend between $300 - $400 per day depending on how much you add. And that is per Panga not per person. I just booked 5 Pangas for 3 days each .. $200 each ... but these are the owners of the Pangas so its a good gig for them ... if you go through charters they get less pay out .. so I find if the Panguero is the owner of the boat he really wants to make you happy ... just what I have found .... I have my guy who I have been fishing with for over 10 years now ...

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Here’s a couple I caught this past year with Captain Jaime Gonzalez Jr . We know what a cow is.

Exactly! Those are nice fish... compared to the original photo posted claiming it was over 250 lbs.... NOT! Look at the length and girth of the fish you posted! Definitely a fish killer!

Last edited:
    Reactions: jbarbosa
    Upvote 0

sixty

• Jul 12, 2005
    Vegas & Ensenada
    Name
    Corey
    Boat
    Hatteras 36 "El Dorado", Hatteras 60 "Reel Action"
    Captain Jaime knows his shit and doesn't exagerate in the least bit. One of the best captains I've fished with anywhere in the world. Fishing with him in few weeks, I'll get his side of the story.

Fishing offshore, chasing monster in a panga is easy in Cabo. Deep water right out of the harbor. Jaime's trips have always been 8ish hours and roughly $250 per day. Biggest problem with him is trying to book with his incredibly full schedule.

Killer job on the fish, thanks for the report

Reactions: tunastuna
    Upvote 0

Jreaping

Apr 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    Josh Anderson
    Boat
    Native Watercraft Titan
    Nice!! We went out with Captain Jaime on 09/26. He was telling us all about these tuna on the way out of the marina. The bite was slow for us. We found a lot of dolphins, but not many tuna with them. I was able to land a nice one around 38lb.

Upvote 0

tunastuna

• Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Congratulations on such an epic day on the water. It takes an exceptional Captain to put you on fish like that, when everyone else goes home with a couple of football sized fish.

Jaime is the best, of the best in CSL...zero doubt!!!

Come on 19 October!!!

Larry Haynes
    Capt Jaime was excellent. I'm glad we went out with him that day. I only know of him because of bloody decks forum. Thanks for sharing your info guys!

Reactions: smokinwater
    Upvote 0

tunastuna

• Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    That's fricken' awesome. There aren't many captains out there that would keep fishing like that after losing a fish after 7 hours! Seems like all the praise for Jaime her on BD is spot on!!
    Yes not many Captains would do that. My normal Captain out of San Jose said he wouldn't do it regardless of who's fishing. The sea can be very dangerous. He said he's seen enough fishing 40+ yrs to not risk it.

I certainly wouldn't do it if my wife or kids were on board.

If something happened, it would be a miracle to be found. It was crazy and I'm not sure I'd repeat it. When the moon went down it was complete darkness. Yes we could see the lights off in the distance, but we couldn't see any debris in the water. It would be very easy to hit something. Glad we're lucky and Capt Jaime's eagerness to keep fishing.

Upvote 0

tunastuna

• Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Maybe it’s the angle of the photo, but I’m not sure that’s a 250+ fish.
    Great story though....might want to invest in a good harness and it won’t take so many hours next time.... Thanks for the write-up..!

We did use harnesses, both black magic. My buddy used one and so did Capt Jaime.

On the first fish he called us pussies after a few hours, then he strapped in and couldn't budge it. Same for this second fish.

I think it's the angle of the photo. Here's one showing the girth.
    IMG_4906_heic-M.jpg

Reactions: repo805
    Upvote 0

tunastuna

• Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Hugo is pretty fishy as well and likes to troll small tuna for bait. I caught this 453lb blue from his true panga Caiman. Notice there is no fighting chair, all stand up fishing. Fish came up dead after three hours. Ate a small yellowfin on 50lb gear but had a 20lb dorado in its throat above the tuna so we can only guess it continued to feed after being hooked...

View attachment 1206424
    I agree. I've fished with Hugo as well in the past. That family are true fisherman and good people. The are central for my love of baja. I've enjoyed meeting and getting to know the new generation of fisherman as well.

Upvote 0

tunastuna

• Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Wow, what did you do with the cow? Brought it home?
    We took half of it and one of the smaller tuna with us. Fortunately we packed zip lock bags with us. Capt Jaime cut it into large chunks that would fit in gallon size bags. During the day we went to Capt Augstin's house and we process the chunks better into proper fillets and put them into more ziplock bags. We shared some of the tuna with him and his family.
    We brought the majority of it home as we brought a cooler with us from the USA. Family is enjoying the tuna steaks.

Reactions: clevel
    Upvote 0

tunastuna

• Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    @jbarbosa @G-Spot

Let's have a little fun, while we're at it! How big a boy do you think this grandma PJ wearing fool is?

I know how big and heavy he is. I'll tell you after you each guess. I haven't lost any weight since then either!LOL

IMG_4940_heic-XL.jpg

Upvote 0

tunastuna

• Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Can anybody send me a roundabout how much it is to fish per day on a panga in cabo? thanks
    We paid $475 to fish with Jaime on the Sophia. It is a very nice center console. It is way nicer and wider than your typical panga. Unless it was dead calm, a normal panga wouldn't go out to golden gate / jaime area. It was breeezy that day.

I go direct with El Brujo and get great pricing. I know pangas on Gordo banks.com are advertised at $290.

With El Brujo, we normally leave between 630am and 7am and usually are the last in, sometimes after 4pm. He treats me very well, so I always make sure to treat him well!

Upvote 0

tunastuna

• Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Nice!! We went out with Captain Jaime on 09/26. He was telling us all about these tuna on the way out of the marina. The bite was slow for us. We found a lot of dolphins, but not many tuna with them. I was able to land a nice one around 38lb.
    We were definitely extremely lucky that day. The cruiser that helped us and alerted us to the fish didn't catch any big ones out of the same school. I've been on both sides of the coin, believe me I've had more slow days than epic days for sure.

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    @jbarbosa @G-Spot

Let's have a little fun, while we're at it! How big a boy do you think this grandma PJ wearing fool is?

I know how big and heavy he is. I'll tell you after you each guess. I haven't lost any weight since then either!LOL

IMG_4940_heic-XL.jpg

Knowing Grandpa’s height would help..😀

If he’s 6’-6’3”.....Stocky build.... nice pajamas.... weighing in at 250lbs.... 😀.

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    @jbarbosa @G-Spot

IMG_4940_heic-XL.jpg

The tuna on the other hand.... so hard to say without actual length... Why a guy would not just tape the fish and know the pretty close weight is always amazing to me.... Let’s say the fish is 65-70” long.... not sure, since I don’t know how tall grandma is.... Then that fish is not real fat, so the girth?!? 48-52”.......

Without doing the math the fish is probably 180-220....

I’ve seen guys posting fish the size of your claiming it was 400lbs...

Look at the photos above of the fish that are 270lbs & 290 lb..... See the serious girth and length...?

Upvote 0

jbarbosa

Oct 24, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Visit site
    Name
    John "Rio" Barbosa
    Boat
    cabo panga
    Well...let’s see....Since you asked...
    There’s a picture of you fighting it sitting on a cooler with no harness, while the other guys are stand-up battling in the Black Magic, add-in that it’s really about a 160-180 lbs
    but we’ll allow you the “San Clemente Mark-up” of 200....punching-in those numbers on my calculator means you’re responsible for about 20% of the total fight and that’s 200x .20= 40
    so you can claim credit for “personally catching” about a 40lb
    fish....sound about right? You said you wanted to “have some fun with this” didn’t you? lol

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

tunastuna

• Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Well...let’s see....Since you asked...
    There’s a picture of you fighting it sitting on a cooler with no harness, while the other guys are stand-up battling in the Black Magic, add-in that it’s really about a 160-180 lbs
    but we’ll allow you the “San Clemente Mark-up” of 200....punching-in those numbers on my calculator means you’re responsible for about 20% of the total fight and that’s 200x .20= 40
    so you can claim credit for “personally catching” about a 40lb
    fish....sound about right? You said you wanted to “have some fun with this” didn’t you? lol

We already know you think the fish is 160-180 lbs. You've told us many times.

I asked you a simple question. How big & heavy do you think I am?

You're so good at estimating weights from dim cell phone photos taken at night. I want to see how accurate your carnival instinct is. Demonstrate your talent.

Upvote 0

tunastuna

• Nov 13, 2015
    Houston, texas
    Name
    Diego
    Boat
    none wishing
    Knowing Grandpa’s height would help..😀

If he’s 6’-6’3”.....Stocky build.... nice pajamas.... weighing in at 250lbs.... 😀.

You didn't need to know the length of the fish to tell everyone it was not 250 lbs but more like 160-180 lbs.

Why do you need to know my height, when it clearly wasn't needed for the fish?

How heavy do you think I am? Come on, show us your prowess at guessing weights. It's not hard. You have nothing to lose. Who knows you might be right about both or wrong about both.

Reactions: greenwater
    Upvote 0