Feb 24, 2011
Seattle/WA/USA
bait2plate.com
Name
Patrick
Boat Name
20' Weldcraft Rebel 202
Halibut Panang Curry.png

This is a recipe I've been trying to get just right for a while. Finally got a tip from a Thai restaurant owner that made the dish easier to make and really good.
Check out the recipe HERE on the blog if you're so inclined.

In other news, I'm closing down my business, as I'm tired of working like a slave. So look out for me to resume pestering you guys with recipes in the near future.

Mazu

Aug 30, 2008
Seattle/Westport
Name
Leif Jackson
Boat Name
22' Sea Sport, "Mazu"
Patrick,

Thanks for the writeup. I'll have to try this recipe. I've done panang curry a few times using the Mae Ploy curry paste, and been happy with it. But if you say this paste will elevate my curry, I'm down to give it a go.

I find that some spot prawns go so well with halibut in curry or any other rich coconut based dish like moqueca.

Upvote 0

Chef Patrick

I Catch 'em and Cook 'em
Feb 24, 2011
Seattle/WA/USA
bait2plate.com
Name
Patrick
Boat Name
20' Weldcraft Rebel 202
Definitely give the Maesri a try. I think it's a big step up over Mae Ploy.

And you're right, spot prawns would be great in this dish.

Patrick,

Thanks for the writeup. I'll have to try this recipe. I've done panang curry a few times using the Mae Ploy curry paste, and been happy with it. But if you say this paste will elevate my curry, I'm down to give it a go.

I find that some spot prawns go so well with halibut in curry or any other rich coconut based dish like moqueca.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat Name
African Queen
This looks really delicious, and I'm going to be trying it soon! I have made Butter Halibut before (murgh makhani) and it was fantastic.

Reactions: Chef Patrick
Upvote 0

fishbadger

• Apr 6, 2012
    WA
    Name
    fishbadger
    Boat Name
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    Thank you so much, this is very high on my to-do list now. I may have accounted for half of the views on your page for this recipe!
    Brian

Reactions: Chef Patrick
    Upvote 0

easydoesit86

nubbie
    Apr 6, 2008
    lacey wa usa
    Name
    maarten
    Boat Name
    22' 672 Campion "Skidder"
    I’ve been playing around with recipes like this. Great for Halis. Tired some elk meat last night. Was ok. But not as good as with fish. Good luck in your future endeavors

Upvote 0

fishbadger

• Apr 6, 2012
    WA
    Name
    fishbadger
    Boat Name
    .Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
    First try was good. I threw a little cayenne in to heat it up a touch. Fresh out of the kettle was good. Days 2 and 3 I was a little leary microwaving hali to reheat the leftovers, so I stuck it in the sous vide for a bit, and the leftovers were better, by a lot, as the flavors really came out.
    fb

Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat Name
    18' Super Vee
    First try was good. I threw a little cayenne in to heat it up a touch. Fresh out of the kettle was good. Days 2 and 3 I was a little leary microwaving hali to reheat the leftovers, so I stuck it in the sous vide for a bit, and the leftovers were better, by a lot, as the flavors really came out.
    fb

That was my main thought that it was significantly better after the flavors spread out. No issues with the microwave leftovers on my end.

Reactions: fishbadger
    Upvote 0