Panama - when to go

Discussion in 'Central America Fishing Reports' started by skxf430, Dec 17, 2011.

1. skxf430

skxf430 Newbie

Name:
    Peter
    Boat:
    A Big Troll
    I read that fishing in Panama is generally really good year round but when is usually a better time to go when it rains less and the seas a bit calmer?

Spring time around April and May? And, do the seasons affect the size of the tuna and marlin?

Thanks for any input.

2. Jay Warner

Jay Warner Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    24 Triton LTS
    Give Shane a buzz at fishpanamatoday.com, he can fill you in on all the info you want. I went in June and had nice weather and big fish. I think the big schools of yft are more apt to be around in the spring.

3. the donkey

the donkey Newbie

Name:
    colin
    Boat:
    triton
    Hi does not matter what time off year you go for the big fish they are there y:hali_olutta:ear round , best weather is normally jan to may ,but we have had sunshine year round , give chad paridise lodge great set up

4. Willy'Z

Willy'Z Newbie

Name:
    Ricky
    Boat:
    27' Fish Nautique
    Greetings,

Go to www.pescapanama.com and click on "Fishing Report" There you will find years of reports showing what is available from Nov.- July.
    Pesca Panama does not sugar coat these reports!

5. reelsmooth

reelsmooth Newbie

Name:
    John Michael
    Boat:
    31 Pursuit
    Nice report on Pesca but please can you pm me the companies that sugar coat the reports so we can avoid the BS, like we say no pics. = BS, very impress with the set up at Pescapanama, the boat seem awfully small for my group of 4 anglers, do you do the booking as well or should I get in touch directly with them, I am a little confuse, thanks for your help

6. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    I won't add anything as to the "best" time to go because it is very subjective. The peak months are the busiest at the lodges and on the grounds, partly because it coincides with our winters here up North not because the fishing is better... The wetter months are cooler and the fish are as big or bigger and you can fish world famous grounds in solitude.

You should contact John Delacruz at Panama Sportfishing Lodge who is a sponsor of this forum and runs the top operation in the Gulf of Chiriqui.

http://www.panamasportfishinglodge.com/

Frankly I find it offensive that non-sponsors are allowed to come on this forum and solicit your business, especially ones that never actually post fishing reports here either.

Simply look in this forum for the huge volume of epic posts by John or his guests or people like me that have been there that have no commercial interest in your choice and you'll see the real deal unlike these other operations trying to take advantage of free advertising as they get their operations off the ground.

7. Jay Warner

Jay Warner Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    24 Triton LTS
    I think its great that other "non-sponsor" lodges post their reports on BD. When I planned my trip to fish in Panama I found out real quick that several lodges in the Chiriqi area are not family friendly. If not for the host of other Reports posted on here I would have been fishing day trips with a 2 hour ride in the car each way. Thats the cool thing about BD, thanks to the diversity of folks that post on here I have been able to fish in a lot of different locations around North and South America with confidence that when I arrive the person I chose to fish with is going to suit my needs.

Bloody Decks is the site of choice in the fishing community and although someone may not be a paying sponsor at the moment doesn't mean that they won't be in the future. I've fished many boats that aren't sponsors but they fly BD colors non the less.

8. johndtuttle

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Posting reports is one thing, posting "hey, we would like your business..." when someone posts asking for info is taking advantage without having to pay for the privilege.

9. Willy'Z

Willy'Z Newbie

Name:
    Ricky
    Boat:
    27' Fish Nautique
    Please show at what time I solicited business for Pesca Panama? I only offered a fellow Angler a fishing report. that fellow Angler can pick where ever they want to go! Now as for Reports, Pesca Panama has been posting Fishing Reports on BD before Panama SportFishing Lodge was in business.
    In closing, please do your homework before you hit the key pad.

10. Team Karma

Team Karma Newbie

Name:
    Kyle
    Boat:
    54 Sculley: Karma 3
    Peter,

Everything stated in this thread is accurate so far. I have fished in Panama from February thru August and every month has been phenomenal. I know from keeping in touch with friends and contacts that fishing is good in the months that I have not been there also.

The big thing, as mentioned by Shane, is that December thru May/June is the dry season. A typical day is sunny and blazing hot during this time of year and it rains very infrequently. This means less fishing time lost to weather conditions. However, to go at this time your will also be fighting for reservation space as virtually all lodges are booked during the dry season.

The weather is still good during the rainy season of May thru October/November but it typically rains at least once a day for an hour or two (some days it rains 6 hours, other days 10 minutes, you never know!). Despite the rain, it is normally still calm with very little wind making fishing conditions excellent. You run the risk of losing fishing time during the rainy season because you have to slow down during the heavy rains for safety reasons if you are running to or from the fishing grounds. If you are already fishing when the rain hits it does not affect the day at all. Airfare and lodging are sometimes cheaper during the wet season because it is not as busy as the dry season.

That is what you need to know about the decision between fishing wet vs dry season. You don't need to worry about the fishing. It SHOULD be good any time you go. You are booking a trip months in advance and with fishing you run the risk of showing up a week early or a week late no matter where you are fishing.

The guys that fish in Panama professionally do notice patterns with the tuna and their size but we had great tuna action every trip on all sizes of fish. I feel confident saying that you have a legitimate chance at catching a 200+ pound tuna any day of the year in the Golfo de Chiriqui.

The marlin are big all the time. We had the biggest average size in March (500+ pounds) but caught big fish every trip.

11. Willy'Z

Willy'Z Newbie

Name:
    Ricky
    Boat:
    27' Fish Nautique
    Yeah you’re right, Pesca Panama has only been in business in the Gulf of Chiriqui for the past 10 years. You get some rest now.
    Cheers,

Wiily’Z :)

12. johndtuttle

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Wow, now you're quoting yourself to spam. Well played sir and a great way to promote the integrity of your operation.

13. tap

tap "The Roving Angler" BD Writer

Name:
    Tony Pena
    Boat:
    n/a
    In addition to Kyles' comments, I've fished Panama in all 12 months with the majority of trips between November to May (I like dry weather also). I've also had poor fishing and great fishing on any given day in all of these months given vagaries of current, forage abundance, water clarity, wind, storms (had one of the biggest rain/lightning storms in FEBRUARY in the middle of the dry deason), moon phase and many other "Captains Excuses"). I would still choose the period from January to April for the best weather window and the week before the full moon. It's been my observation and agreed on by some of the most experienced captains that the few days before and including the full moon offers a better marlin and tuna bite as well as inshore species while after the full moon things slow a bit. There is also the possibility of 25-40 knot winds from the north coming through the mountain passes (which can blow out everything along the coast like a Santa Ana wind in Southern Cal) the week after the full moon.

Tony Peña
    "The Roving Angler"

14. bhsquid

bhsquid Newbie

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    boatless for now
    Just my a thought but i have seen the wet and dry season debate come up on here before. I think that what often gets missed is the fact that for most people in the states May thru October are the months with the best fishing at home. If you live in Alaska your not going to go to Panama during those months becuase you will be missing your home fishing season.

15. bassjedi

bassjedi Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None
    I've gone in March, April, and November in the Cebaco area. In March there were extremely strong winds like Tony mentioned. We could still fish but we couldn't jig very well due to the wind so we had to do a lot of trolling. We targeted inshore fish like the snappers, groupers, amberjack, roosterfish, etc and both April and November were phenomenal.

16. Team Karma

Team Karma Newbie

Name:
    Kyle
    Boat:
    54 Sculley: Karma 3
    Interesting. March was the calmest month for us. I fished 17 days in March of 2010 and we never had over 10 knots of wind the entire month. Our biggest problem was the inescapable heat!

17. tap

tap "The Roving Angler" BD Writer

Name:
    Tony Pena
    Boat:
    n/a
    I've been caught in "El Nortes" before and they really shut down the prime fishing spots. You're just looking for the lee sides of islands to be able to fish whether there's good action or not. As I mentioned the "Nortes" appear most often right after the full moon. If you (local skippers) keep a log try doing a little research and match your windy weather notes to the moon phase.

Regarding the famous north wind on the Tuna Coast that can prevail from January to March, that is true from about Punta Morro de Puercos to Punta Mala or the easterly half of the coast. The westerly half from Puerco to Punta Mariato remains mostly calm as it is on the lee side of the Cerro de Hoya mountain range. It happens to be an area that is virgin territory and one of my favorite places to fish and is easily accessible from Cebaco Bay Sportfishing Club. Lot's of monster fish released there.

Tony Peña
    "The Roving Angler"

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  18. advocat

advocat Newbie

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    predator
    I went to Boca Chica area 3 years ago in February and the winds howled to 35 mph 24 hours a day for 7 days straight. Was very unpleasant and did not even think about going offshore. Went back in November and had very little wind. Evidently not unusual for that month.

19. PSFL

PSFL PSFL Boca Chica

Name:
    John Dela Cruz
    Boat:
    35 Marlago FS
    just to clarify things, Boca Chica is a small village with a population of 300+, it is in the Chiriqui Province, great spot to embark, it faces directly South to the famous Hannibal Bank, Isla Montuosa and Isla Ladrones which is in Gulf of Chiriqui, when the wind blows it blows on the whole Gulf, I remembered that week in February 3 years ago , how can we forget those kinda of days when it seldom happens, actually very rare, my fleet went fishing the same whole week, it was bumpy on the way out but it flattened out after 20 miles offshore, we actually caught our record Black Marlin that same week and fortunately he is a BDer, this is the reason that fishing in larger vessel will increase your limitation, so not to get stuck at the dock.