Panama Rod Tubes on Copa Airlines

Discussion in 'Central America Fishing Reports' started by nmthree, Apr 22, 2019.

1. nmthree

nmthree Nick M- So Cal

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    None
    Going to Panama later this month. I am hearing mixed reports around Copa Airlines and their fees for bringing a rod tube...seems like it could be expensive. Any feedback regarding costs in recent trips? Thanks in advance.

2. pascuale

pascuale Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Nick,
    I know "Pescador" told you he didnt pay but he may have booked his trip before the fees went into effect or he may have flown business class. Im confident you will be charged the $150 each way. Remember that about a week before the flight they will email you something to bid on a business class seat. If you bid $300 and get it then you will get to take your rods free (per business class fare) and get a better seat too.

Bob_NH, sean guffey and nmthree like this.
  3. nmthree

nmthree Nick M- So Cal

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    None

I am all about that!

pascuale likes this.
  4. pascuale

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Yeah, just wait til about the 12th and youll get an email as long as business isnt booked up. Then there will be an amount you can enter. For your flight it will be like $200-500. Im sure if you bid $300 you will get it.

5. pascuale

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Well, just spoke with Copa. Every time i call I get a different answer. It appears that whether you fly Business or not Doesn't matter. I was told by Carlos that its $150 each way if your rod is over 62 inches! What rod is less than 62 inches?! He said, "your rods dont colapse?"

Then I spoke with Diego who said one of my two free bags could be substituted for a rod tube since it is considered "small sports equipment". Who knows?!

Time to start flying American. They dont charge.

6. jureal

jureal Member

Name:
    mel shimizu
    Boat:
    none
    I think that we are all stuck with flying Copa. Yes, the rod tube will cost an additional $300 round trip. Gotta have a rod to fish so what choice is there? Even my two piece rods do not break down to 62 linear as they are of the 60-40 breakdown. If I fly another airline to PTY I still will need a connection to my destination so that would then be Copa and then back to the rod tube problem. I looked at the small sports equipment and found that the 62 linear still applies to the rod tube thus the "small" in small sports equipment still applies....lol. Maybe time to take Panama off the list of places to fish.....

7. jureal

jureal Member

Name:
    mel shimizu
    Boat:
    none
    I looked at flying American Airlines but they fly to Florida first and then connects to Panama. Then I need to connect with Copa and then the rod tube issue arises again...lol.

8. pascuale

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Yeah, Luckily I live in FL. Bummer on the new charges. It was always great that they catered to fisherman. $75 each way is reasonable but $150 is a lot. Sent an email to [email protected]
    Do the same and ask for it to be escalated or you will just get a generic reply. They need to know that there are many of us that fly Copa.

I drive once I get to the city. Where do you fish? Boca Chica? Geez, that means another $150 in Panama to Fly to David!! F that.

nmthree likes this.
  9. jureal

jureal Member

Name:
    mel shimizu
    Boat:
    none
    No, just one time charge each way as I book my trip all the way to David. I did complain but it has fallen upon deaf ears. Yes, I fish out of Boca Chica. That would be a long drive from PTY. I can fly for miles only on American al but it makes for a long trip as I need to connect in Miami. Copa, I fly direct from LAX. Just need to bite the bullet and pay the $300 as I need the rods. I can use the lodges rods but you get a lot of beaters.

Bob_NH and MinnesotaPhats like this.
  10. DH10

DH10 Member

Name:
    Dave Harper
    Boat:
    17 Crestliner
    I have several of the Okuma Nomad travel rods, for spin and conventional. Quality blanks, Alps components, they have great action for 3 piece rods (I can't really tell to be honest). I have caught grouper, Jacks, Snapper, big Dorado, 100# amberjacks and #100 YFT on these, they are pretty great. Around $150. Plus they come with an extra top section....

Bob_NH and pascuale like this.
  11. pascuale

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Good ideas and yes, just gotta bite the bullet sometimes.

nmthree likes this.
  12. alleni

alleni Newbie

Name:
    allen
    Boat:
    Orlando clipper
    Just got off the phone with "David" from Copa. He explained to me that if the rod tube did not exceed 115 linear inches that it would still be considered a "Small sports equipment", which would substitute as one of your check baggage. With that being said, I asked if they would be able to send me a confirmation letter regarding this information so that I may present it at the counter. He said that he was unable to do that, but stated that if I was concerned that I could call 48 hours before my flight to validate it with Copa (not sure what that means). Now given my previous experience with the ticket counter, I find this a risky move. I'm going to try it out next month. Their special baggage policy has always been vague and their ticket counter employees unaware of their own policies. I'm going to arrive very early so that I have time to debate. Wish me luck!

pascuale and nmthree like this.
  13. nmthree

nmthree Nick M- So Cal

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    None
    I’ll be on a flight on 5/17, more to come. I’m not happy about this

QUOTE="alleni, post: 4826088, member: 180905"]Just got off the phone with "David" from Copa. He explained to me that if the rod tube did not exceed 115 linear inches that it would still be considered a "Small sports equipment", which would substitute as one of your check baggage. With that being said, I asked if they would be able to send me a confirmation letter regarding this information so that I may present it at the counter. He said that he was unable to do that, but stated that if I was concerned that I could call 48 hours before my flight to validate it with Copa (not sure what that means). Now given my previous experience with the ticket counter, I find this a risky move. I'm going to try it out next month. Their special baggage policy has always been vague and their ticket counter employees unaware of their own policies. I'm going to arrive very early so that I have time to debate. Wish me luck![/QUOTE]

14. JoeZeiter

JoeZeiter Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    None
    I go down to panama and costa rica 2-3 times a year, often use copa. Someone replied "if the rod tube did not exceed 115 linear inches that it would still be considered a "Small sports equipment", which would substitute as one of your check baggage". This is correct, i also think length cannot exceed 80".... i print out the webpage and bring it to them and have never been charged, with that being said- they redid that baggage policy webpage and it no longer states the dimensions, but it does still say the fishing gear is classified as small sports equipment and you should not be charged. Print out the page and hold your ground when you check in.

nmthree likes this.
  15. pascuale

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Good luck Alan. In my experience, it all depends on the day and the lack of knowledge from the counter person and if that lack of knowledge either helps you or screws you. We will see. When are you headed back to PSFL Joey?

16. JoeZeiter

JoeZeiter Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    None
    2 weeks :)

pascuale likes this.
  17. pascuale

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Ha, Ill see you there buddy.
    We are fishing 23,24,25

18. jureal

jureal Member

Name:
    mel shimizu
    Boat:
    none
    I was charged the 150 by copa at lax but they did not charge me out of David on the return flight. Be sure to buy your tickets from lax to David so that your baggage gets checked in all the way to your final desination,.

MinnesotaPhats and pascuale like this.
  19. JoeZeiter

JoeZeiter Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    None
    2 Of checked in a few ice chests and a sportube 2 full of rods and spearguns out of sfo to David.... no charge. I think it depends on the agent.

pascuale likes this.
  20. pascuale

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Yes im leaving today. Ill see you at the lodge on Tuesday night. My buddy flew from LAX yesterday and he said they tried to charge him but he was ready and complained, refused to pay. They let him go.

nmthree likes this.