Panama Fishing Trip Advice 2022

meandmatt

Apr 18, 2010
Plumas Lake, California
Name
Randy Byard
Boat
None
My friends (4-5 total fisherman) and I are looking to set up a fishing trip to Panama for 2022 (anytime of year works for us) and are hoping to get some advice from those with experience. We are all experienced fisherman and usually do a week+ trip to Alaska, but are looking to do something different this time around. Preferred species would be rooster fish, tuna, grouper, etc....don't need bill fish but wouldn't mind that. We don't need luxury. Any advice on time of year, lodges, general location to focus on would be great. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

plowking

Mar 31, 2017
Seattle
Name
Scott
Boat
Nada
I have fished out of Boca Chica with comefishpanama.com in July 2019. The boat, captain, fishing and scenery were epic. I only fished one day, since I was on vacation at Isla Palenque (amazing) with my wife. It was pricy. $1400ish plus tip for a 29' center console that probably comfortably fishes 3-4. That seems to be about the rate in Panama, though. It's not Mexico. Boca Chica is in the Chiriqui province up near the Costa Rican border. You have to fly 45 mins from Panama City (or drive maybe 6-8 hours). The run to the fishing grounds is long. I feel like we went out maybe 35-40 miles to reach the banks. But the sea life was incredible, including a totally National Geographic feeding frenzy around a massive bait ball. Birds diving. Porpoises hunting. Tuna feeding. Sharks circling. On the day, we landed 2 sailfish, 1 yellowfin, 1 50-pound mahi, 1 enormous mutton snapper, a huge rainbow runner. Also hooked a 12-foot shark on a popper (it was like a freight train exploding out of the war) and then at the end of the day, fishing a live 5-lb skipjack, got hooked up with something I simply couldn't move. Hook straightened. It was incredible.

I'm headed to Tropic Star for 7 nights in July of this year. Can. Not. Wait.

Almud
Almud
Fished with ComeFishPanama six times since 2013. Going back down in December. Always have a good trip with substantial variety. Will fish offsore two days and inshore two days. Kerry is great to work with and lodging at Bocas del Mar is exceptional.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

ksong

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 7, 2005
NJ
Name
KIL SONG
Boat
NONE
Contact John of Panama Sport Fishing Lodge and ask mothership operation.
We have been fishing on the mothership annually.
We just fished on the mothership and we are in the main lodge to leave for the US tomorrow.
I suggest to fish in April and May. I've been fishing Pamama about 10 times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mma

Almost A Member
May 12, 2011
santa rosa/ca/usa
Name
gary furness
Boat
na
I have fished with Pesca Panama annually since 2008 (except 2020).
you are at Coiba Island 4 nights, short run to Hannibal Banks/Montosa,
and they are dialed into the inshore fishing at Coiba/Jicaron etc.
Excellent food. Excellent crews on the center console.
Dec-Feb if black marlin are on your list, late March/June
if you want to tussle with yellowfin tuna.
I echo Plowking about Tropic Star in July, as I am taking my daughter there again (our 3rd trip). Fishing days are shorter, but everyone else is absolutely first class.

Upvote 0

Pete Robbins

Oct 26, 2017
Vienna, VA
Name
Pete Robbins
Boat
2018 Bass Cat Eyra
I am admittedly an inexperienced saltwater angler --- longtime bass tournament angler and senior writer for Bassmaster.com. An acquaintance convinced me to go to Sport Fish Panama Island Lodge this year and now I'm addicted, so much so that we are headed back as soon as possible. We're building a group of 8-12 to go and already have 6 spots committed from friends who saw our pics.

Everything about the experience was painless and first class, from the VIP pickup at the airport, to the ease of getting to the lodge, to the 800 ways that Chef Eddie prepared tuna (among other things). They worked their asses off to put us on fish and keep us on fish and although most of us had no experience in this arena they were great teachers. They explained everything we were doing and made us feel like we were part of the process.

Again, I don't have experience with other lodges, but I was thrilled with it. Worth every penny. Happy to answer any questions in the public forum or through a private message.

Pete Robbins
Vienna, VA
www.halfpastfirstcast.com

Reactions: panama captain
Upvote 0