Palos Verde try

Neillio

Jul 10, 2017
Long Beach, CA
Name
Neillio
Boat
Pescador
Tried to catch some fish while mostly testing gear. Wasn't able to hook anything even trying for bait. Bait nibbled 2x first drop with sibiki but no hook and no more bites. Do I need to put some meat on the hooks?

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I don't know what you have in mind, but in general a sabiki rig catches fish by movement of the little dressed hooks. You don't just let it sit there. Move it up and down with twitches of your rod.

Reactions: sickcat and Neillio

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
When bait snagging is tough sacrificing the first one and putting very small pieces on the hooks tends to work.Try different depths and different movement sometimes they want it not moving sometimes they do.Switch it up till you break the code.

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Assuming you see them on the meter;

If desperate, slice up tiny pieces of squid (about the size of your hook) and pin them to your rig. Pet food for chum, slowly and consistently small pieces. Stay in one place.

Most of the time they hit on the drop. about 5 ft. stop, drop 5ft. more stop and so on. Troll for them as well, slow speed.

Reactions: Neillio

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Carry some cans of seafood cat food...once you see them on the meter or hook one flick some fingers full and they will come right to the boat....i know its embarrasing buying cat food but it works

Red Drum

Paradiddle-diddle
Mar 15, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Name
Capt. Vinnie
Boat
Big Drum-2300 Seaswirl Striper...Red Drum-1500 Duroboat
Tried to catch some fish while mostly testing gear. Wasn't able to hook anything even trying for bait. Bait nibbled 2x first drop with sibiki but no hook and no more bites. Do I need to put some meat on the hooks?
Go to the $.99 store or dollar tree and buy cans of mackerel, and chum with those, they're cheaper than cat food and they work great, And put strips of sqiud on each hook on your's sibiki.I have my best luck in 20 to 40 feet of water. First meter bait and then anchor up, then chum with the canned mackerel.if there's any good bait inthe area they will find you within 5 to 10 minutes.good luck!

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Go to the $.99 store or dollar tree and buy cans of mackerel, and chum with those, they're cheaper than cat food and they work great, And put strips of sqiud on each hook on your's sibiki.I have my best luck in 20 to 40 feet of water. First meter bait and then anchor up, then chum with the canned mackerel.if there's any good bait inthe area they will find you within 5 to 10 minutes.good luck!
I like the cat food because they have easy open pull tabs....i can honestly say in 30 plus years catching bait i never anchored once when trying for them

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I'm with stairman. Cat food (with tuna) works great, and the pull tabs keep it easy. I have grabbed the non pull tab type and was damn lucky I keep a Swiss Army knife on board. Nothing wrong with canned mackerel either, whatever does the job.

FWIW, we caught macs by the bait barge in San Diego bay using sabikis. They would only hit the hooks with bait on them (mac) and dead still about 15' down.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Also use at least a 4 oz torpedo preferably 6 or 8.This minimizes clusterfucks when you get more then one at a time.When I get the first one to commit I usually leave him on for a bit trying to get more to jump on the bus.

Neillio

Jul 10, 2017
Long Beach, CA
Name
Neillio
Boat
Pescador
I'm going to try anything that has the "easy pull tab", i love easy haha. Then I'll put some squid on the hooks and troll to where I know they hang out and jig there! You guys are great!!

Neil

Reactions: the SLIDER

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Assuming you see them on the meter;

Troll for them as well, slow speed.
+100! ^^^^

That is a very good trick to try! On a tough day it can be the difference between getting a tank of bait and getting out fishing or taking too long to scratch a few pieces and wasting valuable fishing time.

Azarkon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Now for the more challenging problem: how do you find bait that isn't too large. That one still gets me many days. Those big mackerel are every where.

KINGSIZE

On The Bow
Jul 9, 2010
Simi Valley
Name
Robert
Boat
Searcher
Take a look out front of Topaz jetty by Torrance Beach. You can almost always find mini macks in that area. It's a short distance North of PV.

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Also use at least a 4 oz torpedo preferably 6 or 8.This minimizes clusterfucks when you get more then one at a time.When I get the first one to commit I usually leave him on for a bit trying to get more to jump on the bus.
Now for the more challenging problem: how do you find bait that isn't too large. That one still gets me many days. Those big mackerel are every where.
When it's slow, I like the lighter torpedo sinker, floats down a little slower, however when you get bit you have to reel faster to avoid the "clusterfuck". If your hooking multiples switch back to heavy. A brand new crome sinker can attract more bites. Half the time they swallow the sinker and it comes out the gill.

Sometimes they are just whoppers, to be used for chum, chunking or bug nets. If there's a mix though, keep the rig up top cause the smaller ones will come to the surface more times than not.