Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
Any suggestions on painting trailer fenders so rocks don't chip up the paint? I'm up-sizing my trailer tires from 13's to 15's and looking at the flat top "jeep" style fenders because your able to set things on the fenders (battery, tackle boxes, foot) without it rolling/slipping off. They only come in plain steel and I'm thinking of priming it with zinc and then hit it with 2 coats of enamel,,, since I have it in the garage. The boat/trailer is a 73, so I'm not looking to dump a bunch of cash into the project, but still want it to look good and last for a while.

It will probably be easier to go with galvanized round fenders and apply a few strips of anti-skid tape, but not sure I want to go with the same style I already have.

(freshwater boat, not worried about saltwater rusting the fenders)

Thoughts?

mongo75

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 6, 2007
Rancho Santa Margarita
Name
Danny
Boat
25' 1968 Luhrs
Just keep it simple if you want- I would use a good enamel like you said, I like to use the appliance enamel in rattlecan you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. It won't chip as much as Krylon, and you can always keep a can handy for touch-ups for the inevitable chips that you will get.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could always paint it with epoxy paint- much more durable but harder to touch up.

Dirtguy

"It's all Good!"
May 9, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Name
Carl
Boat
26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
Just a thought, but I used urethane bedliner coating on the entire trailer. I haven't had many miles yet but we do have about 15 horse trailers at work with that on the front, and they get about 100,000 a year with little wear.
Then you won't need any skid tape.

When you do the dollars/cost, it actually comes out cheaper than sandblasting, priming, and retouching them later.

DG

kktick

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 5, 2007
BayPark
Name
Boat
32 Tiara
The 3M rubberized underbody coating looks great when dry...very similar to a bedliner product. Doesn't have the typical underbody coating appearance (dry tar). It's also paintable, so you could put a gloss finish on top of it. I bought it at Sears for $7/can and it took exactly 4 cans to paint the box of a Chevy shortbed. I just restored an 85' Chevy and used it on the bed...looks great.

On the same truck, I also had the painter spray a 6" strip of clear rockguard on the bottom of the fenders, doors, and box sides. You can't see it unless you are 12" away from the paint. I was very impressed at how well it is hidden...basically just a really thick clear coat that has some flex to it.

Finally, I drove my aunt's new car down from Montana over Thanksgiving and to protect from rock chip's (sanding the roads this time of year in Montana), I bought a roll of 3M clear film...was pretty reasonable. It's meant to stay on for the life of the car and it looks good. More noticeable than the sprayed rock guard though.

MRFISHHEAD

El Granjero
Apr 17, 2006
Simi Valley
Name
Matt
Boat
no boat
If you like black or grey pick up some por 15. Only comes in 2 colors and its hard as hell. Best stuff left in California

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Dan, if you arent familiar, check out a product called hammerite, they sell it at home depot, comes in spray paint can (also can be brushed or rolled on- can is best for your application) It has a hammered metal finish to it, available in silver, gold, bronze, blue and others. This is a metalized paint that is very durable and resist corroding rusting and chipping. Read the can, this product can be used to spray directly over rust spots, it supposed to completely coat and seal the rust inside, closing off the possibility of any oxygen getting to it, no more oxidation, no more rust. The stuff is an amazing product. Because of the textured apprearance, it is also easy to get a nice looking finish. Id consider using some. After its totally dry, maybe mask off the tops of the fenders and spray a nice little spot with 3m rubberize for no skid purposed, it would look kind of custom. If you do this you probably have to do the nonskid on the fender tops, for gettin in the boat cuz the hammerite might get slippery. Hope this help.

baeddy10

Big Daddy
May 6, 2007
Menifee, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Maybe one day.
Just a thought, but I used urethane bedliner coating on the entire trailer. I haven't had many miles yet but we do have about 15 horse trailers at work with that on the front, and they get about 100,000 a year with little wear.
Then you won't need any skid tape.

When you do the dollars/cost, it actually comes out cheaper than sandblasting, priming, and retouching them later.

DG
Bingo. Exactly what came to mind.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
I used urethane bedliner coating.DG
Ding Ding, we have a winner!

I was thinking of having them Rhino-lined $$$, but never thought of the DIY bed liner stuff. I checked out Herculiner, it's skid resistant and comes in white or gray which should match my boat & trailer. Just what the doctor ordered!